Food Network Cans Paula Deen

Another public figure loses her job over statements made in private.

Chris Queen

June 23, 2013 - 11:00 am

Paula Deen Off the Air

I suppose it was bound to happen. Fox News reports the details:

The Food Network said Friday it would not renew the contract of the celebrity chef, who has admitted using racial slurs in the past.

The announcement came only hours after Deen issued a strange video statement on YouTube — that was then removed – in which she repeatedly apologized, but failed to specifically address the racist comments she made in a recorded deposition.

“I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done,” she said in the short, emotional video. “I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable.
“I’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness. Please forgive me for the mistakes that I have made.”

There was no immediate explanation for why the video had been taken down and a call to Deen’s representative asking for an explanation brought no immediate response.

The Food Network issued a one-sentence statement late Friday saying, “Food Network will not renew Paula Deen’s contract when it expires at the end of this month.”

Reactions ran wild on both sides of the debate, from hashtag games on Twitter involving “racist” recipes to a Facebook page in support of Deen boasting over 25,000 members.

Fox News Radio reporter and commentator — and unabashed Southerner — Todd Starnes tweeted Friday, “What a coincidence @foodnetwork — I ended my relationship with you today, too.” Starnes has also posited that anti-Southern bias is at the heart of this controversy, and he has questioned the double standard that allows films like Django Unchained to use the same word so liberally in public that Deen has been castigated for using in private.

There’s no doubt more to come in this controversy. We’ll keep you posted.

All Chris Queen wanted to be growing up was a game show host, a weather man, or James Bond. But his writing talent won out. By day, Chris is a somewhat mild-mannered office manager for an IT managed services provider, but by night, he keeps his finger on the pulse of pop culture and writes about it. In addition to his Disney obsession (as evidenced by his posts on this website), Chris's interests include college sports -- especially his beloved Georgia Bulldogs -- and a wide variety of music. A native of Marietta, GA, Chris moved with his family as a child to nearby Covington, GA, where he still makes his home. He is an active charter member of Eastridge Community Church and enjoys spending time with family and friends. In addition to his work at PJ Media, Chris spent nearly a year as a contributor to NewsReal Blog. He has also written for Celebrations Magazine and two newspapers in Metro Atlanta. Check out his website, www.chrisqueen.net.

Simply put, Paula Deen grew up in a place and time when that word was in common usage across her entire society. I am not going to judge her by modern politically correct standards for things in her past where those standards did not exist. You judge her by the standards of that place and time, and you judge her by whether or not her current attitudes seem to have changed to reflect the shift to our modern attitudes along with everyone else.

And I don't think I really enough to answer that.
Gee, a Southerner born in 1947 at one point in her life used the N-word? Unpossible. She was under oath and had to answer truthfully (she's not part of Dear Liar's administration) and did. Did she discriminate based on race? No one has alleged that. Meanwhile, a certain former West Virginian Senator who early in his life was a Grand Kleagle for the KKK and used the N-word on national tv much later than Paula did. And was allowed to keep his seat.
it seems to me that she lost her job over the same language that made richard pryor and chris rock multimillionaires and the usage was in the same time frame. she was in private, they were pubic. something seems wrong here.
Until such time when the use of the word is considered verboten by all, including those racist and misogynist rap artists, those complaining the loudest have nothing to stand on except the stupidity of the race mongers and rabble rousers that come out of their racist holes only when it serves their purpose.
Hey Food Network execs: Look in a mirror and ask yourself if you've never uttered a racial, ethnic, sexual or otherwise nasty remark like Paula Deen revealed. I'll bet you sanctimonious hypocrites are just as guilty as she is. Who isn't? If you have always said nice things about everyone, even as a kid in grade school, you're a liar.
What better way to divert the public's attention from truly important issues than to come up with some idiotic politically correct BS than "Paula Deen said a 'bad' word".

1. Affordable Healthcare, a looming disaster to our healthcare.

2. Benghazi, a shameful episode in our supposed 'commander in chief's' duty to protect our diplomats and other American citizens.

3. Fast and Furious, incompetence that borders on criminal negligence in supplying arms to drug cartels.

4. IRS, shameful interference and attacks on organizations that might be considered 'conservative'.

5. DOJ, probably one of the most corrupt branches of our government in virtually all their dealings

6. NSA, spying on us, law abiding American citizens. Monitoring everyone's phone calls, e-mails, any sort of day to day communication between law abiding American citizens.

7. Any more issues that I have forgotten (add your own).

Our main stream media is actively trying to distort what is truly important to us with this idiotic crap. Get a life boys and girls, our country is under attack from within.
This is mostly a hit job, and I wouldn't be surprised if the woman in the law suit isn't just out for a quick buck. The Totalarian Socialists and their Media arm are out to destroy anyone who might influence the masses. Paula Dean was doing just that, she is a likable woman who talks with a Southern accent and shows some "down home" cooking and a bit of religion by saying grace. I'm willing to bet Ree Drummond is next on the hit list.

I've read the statement and it was a loaded question in the first place. They asked her under oath (she can't get away with lying like Obama's cronies) if she had ever used a specific word. She answered that she had but it had been many years, like the 60s, when she did. That's a set up question for almost anyone born before 1960, let alone a person from the South.
I grew up in an area where the n-word described an attitude, not a color. It still does.
This is all about censorship, as the PC police now rule the body politic, including all media messaging . While I am hardly pleased when Jews/the Joos are slurred - and they are too many times to count ! - the fact of the matter is that it is outrageous to muzzle everyone, unless living in a closed society.
Moreover, the notion that leftist group think is allowed to temper what one can say privately is beyond the pale. Who exactly made them lords and masters, re what is acceptable speech, other than yelling fire in a crowded theater? Exactly.

In addition, an actual omerta has descended upon America re Muslim "speech", and herein lies the danger - http://adinakutnicki.com/2013/06/02/holders-doj-as-if-on-cue-bellies-up-to-invoke-islamic-blasphemy-laws-in-the-usa-commentary-by-adina-kutnicki/

Simply put, it is a process of mental conditioning via constrained speech. Besides, sticks and stones...

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/

And I don't think I really enough to answer that.
I don't really know enough to answer that. (An edit comment function would be lovely.)
She "begs forgiveness"?

How about she begs everyone who disapproves of her language (so many years ago) to go suck an egg!!!

This is among the very most ridiculous things in the PC world today.
--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA

--- Frank Zappa - Who Are The Brain Police?

Uh, that would be Janet Napolitano and the rest of Obama's elite officer corps.
Yep, I was right. PJM informed me: "Comment Guidelines
Your comment currently includes words that are not allowed" Okay, let me try agin: I dared to type something about "crackers" (that made it through). P******woods (very bad), and J**boys (this is a test of the National Emergency Response System), and, uh, who knows? I am so sick of this PC crap I could just, well, spit. Janet Napolitano initiated all this First-Amendemnt-quashing policy on American college campuses, and apparently, given the cowardice of practically everyone in America with a college degree -- and most particularly with an advanced degree, she has managed to get away with it. Must be the butch voice and haircut.
1 2 Next View All