Master Yoda and the Buddha

What happens if you don't learn compassion?

Charlie Martin

June 16, 2013 - 11:00 am

Rinpoche1

A few days ago, Walter Hudson had a piece up on “The Folly of the Jedi”.

I have to admit, my first reaction is the one that I’ve learned in about a thousand years of science fiction fandom — okay, it’s only 40, but it feels like a thousand — which is “Dude, it’s a movie. It’s fiction. There is no thousand-generation Galactic Empire.”

I’d fully enjoyed the pleasures of arguing about the Hollywood white-guy communism of Star Trek’s Federation and what The Force might be; the truth is, damn little of anyone’s world-building will stand up to that kind of scrutiny. It’s usually better suited to late night conversations in the con suite while wondering who will pass out next in the bathtub.

It happened though, that Walter had hit on a particular line from the movie. Master Yoda warns Anakin against becoming attached, because attachment leads to fear, and –

“Dude, it’s a movie. It’s fiction."

Says the guy in the ivory tower.

Yes, it's fiction, but iconic pop culture like Star Wars are part of the zeitgeist and are incredibly, unbelievably influential and formative for many, many people, especially young people. Pooh-pooh this stuff at your peril. You may not like it, but many people's world view have influenced by themes from these movies. They outnumber readers of Chögyan Trungpa Rinpoche 10,000 to 1.

It's sad, but sloppy thinking in influential movies infects a lot of the movie goers with sloppy thinking. With this in mind, I thinks it's very good to hold movie-makers feet to the fire on things that are objectively stupid. Maybe future movie makers with take note, realize that their own legacies are at stake, and think things through better.
Dude, storytelling has always played that role, in every culture, throughout history.

Your ratio is probably several orders of magnitude to large.
Oh, I'm not saying I don't *like* Star Wars -- just the opposite. I'm just saying "wow, there's a limit to how much soup you can usefully make out of this one bone."
Yeah, and besides, "120 Nights of Sodom" was fiction as well, made by a certain Marquis de Sade, yet guess what? A lot of the imagery in that book ended up imitated during the French Revolution, and was one of the primary influences (only Rousseau and Voltaire's works had higher influence, and even then just barely). Heck, the decapitated corpses were actually put in various lewd positions that were directly based on similar imagery from that POT book as well. For a more contemporary example, The Matrix trilogy was also fiction as well, yet now people have actually made a religion based on it's teachings. I swear, I'm not making this up. Heck, Stalin knew this, since he specifically targeted Hollywood and other media outlets to be taken over.
Look, I realize this is a very subtle distinction, but Walter was talking about fictional events happening in the past in a fictional universe.
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why these are truths, let alone noble ones.

Let's say I'm starving. I'm suffering. But I'm only suffering because I crave food. i.e., I'm attached to the idea of eating. If I can just become detached from the idea of eating, then I end my suffering, right? And I have no doubt there are techniques for giving up the attachment -- suicide being one possibility. Or just learning somehow to avoid letting the hunger pangs bother me.

Here's a novel suggestion: how about eating something?

Maybe, just maybe, when we yearn for something, it's because there is something that exists to satisfy it. And that's the mindset we should be trying to acquire, rather than teaching ourselves not to care.
Yes, I do need to write about the Four Noble Truths next week. But here's the short version:

Hunger: "I'm hungry. I should eat. What's for lunch?"

Duhkha ("suffering"(: "I'm hungry. OMG I'm hungry! But I can't eat now, it's the wrong time! I'm *starving*! I don't like being hungry! It remind me of when I was an undergrad and didn't have the money for food and had to eat ramen for days. Will being hungry make me sick?"
Strange: I'd long thought that the first of the Four Noble Truths was not, "Suffering exists," but "Existence is/equals/entails suffering."
Translation issue. The First Noble Truth is often just stated as "duhkha". In Sanskrit, that's a sentence. In English, you you to say what its attached to. I think I may expand on the Four Great Truths next week.
Sorry for posting twice in a row.

I wanted to mention that the origin of "lovingkindness" is almost certainly the King James Version of the Bible (a translation of the Hebrew hesed). When western scholars started translating Buddhist concepts, they probably selected a word that seemed to both be closest in meaning, and also had religious overtones, from its connections to the KJV.

Your explanation is much better, and differentiates maitri from hesed very well.
Thank you, by the way.
To be honest, I feel being completely devoid of detachments is grounds for sociopathy. As a matter of fact, one of the steps towards sociopathy is lacking any traditional human attachments to morality or anything like that. Heck, Palpatine was completely devoid of detachments, almost being the absolute paragon of what a Jedi's anti-attachment policy preaches, and he's a Sith, and a psychopathic backstabber who won't even hesitate to kill his own parents if the opportunity arose (as a matter of fact, that's exactly what he did). Actually, I'm beginning to wonder whether Buddha was a psychopath as well. I'm beginning to think the Buddha would probably have fully supported the atrocities of Communism (several of the monks certainly did, seeing how they underwent public self-immolation in protest to America's involvement in Vietnam despite the fact that we were defending them from the Communists).
Actually,the guy who set himself on fire was named Thich Quang Duc and was protesting Diem's attempt to impose Catholicism on everyone. Happens that happened 50 years ago on the 11th.
If that was the case, why did some of the militant Buddhists side with the Communists, despite the latter group being infamous for purging anyone who even dares mention being religious?
Okay, I'll bite. Why do all Christians believe in conquering the Holy Land?
*devoid of attachments, sorry.
See, this is why I started studying Chinese and Sanskrit as I got more into Buddhism: the words are no more "correct", since they're just limited symbols, but when you hear "attachment", there is all sorts of stuff attached (heh) to it. With a half-dozen more sidebars, I might have gone into how suffering (duhkha) arises from: avidya or misunderstanding; raga, or the craving for pleasurable experiences; and dvesha, the fear of unpleasant experiences. It's not to lack attachment in the sense of love -- Buddha cried when his family died -- it is to understand the transitory nature of the things to which one is attached, and so be freed of the fear and cravings.

Huh. You know, the best term might be "addiction".
Very helpful explanation of compassion (both true and "idiot"). Thanks
Very cool. I learned a new phrase, a very useful one at that: idiot compassion. I've known this concept for some time but never knew what to call it. Thanks!
Barbara Oakley got to a concept I think is very similar in pathological altruism: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324688404578545523824389986.html