4 Weight-Loss Myths

Believe the myths, and despair?

Charlie Martin

June 15, 2013 - 11:30 am

The hypothesis: a slow carb diet with intermittent fasting, along with continuing to work for greater integration of exercise into my daily life, will help me lose weight and improve my still-too-high blood sugar. This is the third experiment of a 13 weeks duration, in an ongoing series. Follow my daily updates at Facebook and join me on Fitocracy to follow my progress there, of which there will be some. Honest.

unicorn-cropped

13 Weeks: Season 3, Week 3

I’ve been personally interested in weight loss and associated things pretty much my entire life. Long-time readers will remember me mentioning being insulted about my weight — told I was repulsive, in fact — when I was seven or eight. I first started actively dieting, hoping to lose weight and not be repulsive, when I was about 12, and immediately ran into trouble with it. After a certain length of time, even strictly following a 1200 kcal a day diet, I’d stop losing weight.

Since this was well-known to be impossible, it must have been that I was cheating on the diet. I knew I wasn’t, but who’s going to believe a 12 year old?

Fast forward to when I was working on my PhD at Duke Medical School. By this time I was considerably more sophisticated — well, except emotionally, I still felt basically that I was repulsive — and I had started reading seriously about weight regulation. I discovered that a whole lot of things I’d been told were absolutely certain, weren’t. Many of those things are still generally believed, and I think they keep people from doing what is useful, get them to do a lot of things that aren’t particularly useful, and frankly cause many people to despair.

Myth #1: The “Ideal” Weight Is Healthiest.

This one has made recent news. Our idea of what is an ideal weight comes originally from studies done by life insurance companies. The insurance company actuaries spend their time trying to decide how much to charge for an insurance policy, which is essentially a bet: you are betting the insurance company that you will die young, and the insurance company bets you will live to a ripe old age. (I’ve explained the basic math of insurance on PJM before.) So insurance companies, primarily MetLife, did studies in the ’50s and computed ideal weights from them.

How about testosterone and thyroid?

As I've posted before, I'm completely with you on virtually all diet points and personal experience. I only need to lose maybe ten to twenty pounds, but those pounds do NOT want to go unless I cut my calories below 1,000, then I can lose a couple of pounds fairly quickly, the problem being they come BACK even more quickly.

It is probably age, and probably boosting the aging factors like testosterone and thyroid would help. I also used to get way more exercise than my aging body will now stand for, others older than me are luckier in those regards, but even four hours walking does not impress my metabolism at all today, and I think it did twenty years ago.
One other thing, 3600mg of fish oil sounds like rather a lot (especially if you eat some actual fish once or twice a week not to mention other n-3 rich or boosted foods), if you need that much you are probably getting more n-6 than you need as well.
You tried the Ornish diet and ate salads and bowls of unbuttered rice? That isn't the Ornish diet. Not by miles.
You called your diet low carb, high fat, and high protein. The correct low carb diet is moderate protein. You are probably aware of the Jimmy Moore blog. A year ago he discovered his low carb diet was too high in protein; the excess protein was being metabolized like carbs.
Dunno, Charlie. Slow and sure is the best approach, I guess.

A guy called Mike Geary has some interesting ideas about health, fitness and so on. No, I'm not a 'marketing associate' of his, but he has a web site with some interesting theories. He's an exercise freak, lives in Colorado. Might be interesting for you to get in touch with him.
It would muddy the waters of the current thirteen week experiment but you might want to try some fish oil supplementation. Neither Gary Taubes nor Tim Ferris spend much time on the omega3/omega 6 imbalance that is a consequence of the graincentric American diet but there are Paleo and Primal people who focus on it as a major metabolic sticking point.
Tom, I/ve been doing 3600 mg a day all along.
Pretty much the same experience here. I'm 70, 6'2' and have a 43 inch waist. I'm down from 215 dropping agricultural grains and plateaued at 189. I go up to about 193 if I get my exercise disrupted by things like a cold then back down to 189, but no further. Like you I am using the 5:2 diet - 2 non consecutive days semi fast of 600 calories. Too soon to tell if i can break the 189 barrier. Michael Moseley's BBC/PBS doco Eat, Fast, Live breaks out the research on various forms of fasting including 5:2. Good luck breaking the barrier.
Charlie, You might need to take a vitamin/mineral complex to help with weight loss. Trace elements like Chromium and Selenium affect blood sugar and weight loss -- and Americans are chronically short on both.
I've used the low-glycemic diets off and on for a decade with good success. In my experience, occasionally you will get stuck, but if you stick with it, the decline will eventually resume. You're doing the right thing - add some moderate glycemic carbs, like beans, for a couple of weeks, and then go back to the stricter version. That way, the stall is more bearable.

I would not introduce high-glycemic carbs once a week. They cause no long term damage, but, again in my experience, every time I do that, I get a stall of three or four days in the downtrend.

A pound and a half a week is great, and just what you want, if you want to keep the weight off. After all, if you are looking for a 50 lb loss, that's only eight months!
Are you doing any exercise? I think in one of your previous articles you mentioned martial arts and weightlifting. For the longest time I had trouble fitting in a substantial daily weightlifting session just because of my work schedule, but I started doing 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes plus a little extra after work. I would just use a couple dumbbells in front of the TV so I didn't have to head out to the gym. Even though it wasn't much, it was still a big help.
Just by the way, my weight today was 269, which means I'm actually sustaining something close to 2 pounds a week for two weeks now. (Actual slope of the linear fit is -0.248 lb/day). Also, the standard deviation is down from last experiment -- 1.96 vs 2.3 -- and this is now around 3 sigmas down from the start weight. Still too little data to draw a conclusion but it begins to look significant.
1 2 3 Next View All