5 Reasons Why Man of Steel Is the Year’s Best Popcorn Movie

There are hardly any jokes in the film, and that’s a good thing.

John Boot

June 14, 2013 - 7:00 am
YouTube Preview Image

Man of Steel may not measure up to the classic 1978 Superman, but it’s a refreshingly grownup film in a sea of the summer sillies. Here’s why it easily tops Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, Oblivion, After Earth and the rest of the blockbuster slate so far.

1. It’s a classic story told seriously, with no goofy elements.

If comic-book movies run from Batman & Robin on one side to The Dark Knight on the other, Man of Steel, which essentially begins like Superman and morphs into Superman II,  is much closer to the psychological and foreboding end of the spectrum than the campy and ridiculous one. The Christ-like story of a godlike man sent to Earth as our savior is dressed up with impressive special effects on Krypton (where Kal-El’s father Jor-El, played by Russell Crowe, sends him to Earth as the planet expires beneath him) and again on this planet, where Superman moves with bullet-like speed in visceral, believable scenes shot like those in the found-footage film Chronicle. There are hardly any jokes in the film, and that’s a good thing.

I saw it Saturday and really liked it. As a father myself, the father-son connections were very good and I agree with "giarceca". I felt a lump in my throat at that same scene and when Clark was explaining it to Lois.
** Spoilers **

Saw it today and was totally amazed by it. An interesting narrative where the early part is told in a sort of flashback and yes, ending at the Daily Planet was a great move. The action in the second half when Superman and Zod with his troops start is really like a comic book come to life. His relationship with Kevin Costner feels real and for a stone hearted person like me their final scene almost made me shed a tear.
saw the film today and the theater wasn't full, and while there was a lot to like, I am getting tired of the high tech battles with buildings fallings, people running in the streets, and battles going on far too long.

Saw it earlier today and I thought it was great. They did an excellent job of refreshing the origin story, and there was plenty of action and excitement for the summer movie crowd. I forgot about Superman Returns five minutes into this movie.
Kudos to Zach Snyder for directing another fine superhero movie. I forgive him now for Sucker Punch.
--but it’s a refreshingly grownup film --

It's Superman for Pete's sake.
"Explain to me again why a rock from his own planet would sicken Superman?"

It's radioactive. Uranium is a rock from YOUR planet; can it sicken you? Darn right it can.
Give me the 3 Hobbit movies anyday over an antichristic yell.
Boooring.

The LotR trilogy was overwhelmingly about small people walking. That's it!

Tolkien's books are infinitely better.
Wow, that was a stunningly original and very funny critique when I heard it back in 2002. And it was kinda funny when Kevin Smith built a scene around it in Clerks II. But it's 2013 now, I think we can stop recycling that joke.