5 Books Dads Will Love for Father’s Day

War, guns, baseball, leadership, and a little Secret Service gossip.

Paula Bolyard

June 14, 2013 - 9:35 am

There is still time to head over to Amazon to place an order in time for Father’s Day delivery! I’ve linked the images below to help you out.

La Place de la Concorde Suisse

by John McPhee

Swiss

“The Swiss Army has served as a model for less languid nations. The Israeli Army is a copy of the Swiss Army. … They are a civilian army, a trained and practiced militia, ever ready to mobilize. They serve for thirty years. All six hundred and fifty thousand are prepared to be present at mobilization points and battle stations in considerably less than forty-eight hours.”

This book, written at the end of the Cold War, gives a compelling view of the Swiss military system. The pastoral views in the Alps don’t reveal that beneath those mountains are bunkers stocked with munitions caches and that the winding roads all have bridges that can be blown to pieces at a moment’s notice to thwart an attack.

The book might provoke some intriguing thoughts and conversations about forced conscription, responsibility as citizens, what some like to call “military adventurism,” and the implications of heavily armed neutrality.

I read "In the Presidents S.S." - I was disappointed with it.
I'd like a copy of "Why Men Eat" by Irma Bombeck.
I'd like to add a coherent comment... or rather perhaps a suggestion for the list.
"Game Six" by Mark Frost. Something not too serious, thought provoking or life changing. It's about the 1975 World Series game 6 between the Cincinnati Reds and the Boston Red Sox. What many baseball enthusiasts (who, like me, were around at the time) believe was the ultimate ball game. Lots of history teams and background on the players. A really fun read.
Sounds like an excellent book. Those who are not true fans of the game probably can't understand how an entire book could be written about a single game. Those of us who grasp the many nuances know that a book could be written about a single inning! :)
Wow!
This Laura Hillenbrand .Wow! I listen for 28 mins
The last thought I had is how there is no such thing as the labels given to mental illness ,the trauma is real and children exposed to terror nightmares what kind of strong will can they muster? So the treatment for their PTSD by the secular atheist so they can have cushy jobs putting the mind and heart in prison ,as they reject the TRUE GOD hEALER who baths victims in Divine Love
Who will tell them they are GOING to Hell in afterlife? Hell not so bad I see heads pop up when they not to busy on a exposed throne that does not look so cushy but useful on top feeling from hard labor in the Jesus hell
What great value in the future the mentally ill could be that are chosen by the True God once this atheist secular ends if this is God's will
footnote
Fathers are interested in the success of their sons and daughters and may keep thoughts about women rapped in brown paper so daughters always have noble thoughts and feelings about their fathers and secrets are kept safe

From that secret brown paper I give you this woman beauty Artemisia
And I ask patience with me as i wonder how that thumb press bring her the genius to become successful in her great beauty body

yikes! Peace upon my daughters I beg of you True God

Gates of Fire should be on this list.