A School-Sponsored Toy Gun Exchange in California

The principal: "Playing with toys guns, saying 'I'm going to shoot you,' desensitizes them, so as they get older, it's easier for them to use a real gun."

Rick Moran

June 10, 2013 - 3:03 pm

shutterstock_108709370

I don’t know exactly why the idea that a school is promoting a “toy gun exchange” bothers me. Perhaps it’s because it plays into the false meme that guns are bad, bad, bad and that children shouldn’t be playing with toy guns. Perhaps it’s the insufferable moralists who actually think that a kid trading in a toy gun is going to curb violence, or make the kid a better human being.

How many generations of boys grew up fighting outlaws or indians, or played “soldier” in the backyard?? Were they any more or less violent than this generation? How did it happen all of a sudden that toy guns promote violence, or are somehow bad for kids?

A school in Hayward, CA thinks it’s a grand idea:

Strobridge Elementary Principal Charles Hill maintains that children who play with toy guns may not take real guns seriously.

“Playing with toys guns, saying ‘I’m going to shoot you,’ desensitizes them, so as they get older, it’s easier for them to use a real gun,” Hill said.

Huh? This horse’s ass is a principal? That statement brings to mind the song “Little Known Facts” that Lucy sings to her little brother Linus in the musical You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown:

D’you see this tree?
It is a fir tree.
It’s called a fir tree
Because it gives us fur
For coats
And it also gives us wool
In the winter time

This is an elm tree
It’s very little
But it will grow up
Into a giant tree
an oak!
You can tell how old it is
By counting its leaves

Where’s old Lucy when we need her.

Enter Schroeder, the rationalist. Or, in this case, a gun rights advocate:

A gun rights advocate questioned the idea that playing with toy guns desensitizes children to real weapons.

“Having a group of children playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians is a normal part of growing up,” said Yih-Chau Chang, spokesman for Responsible Citizens of California, a group whose goal is to educate the public about the facts behind gun rights.

“While the intentions are obviously good on the part of the school administration, this doesn’t really educate children about guns or gun safety,” he said. “Guns are used in crimes, but they are more often used in defensive ways which prevent violent crime from occurring in the first place.”

Chang also questioned whether toys can look like real weapons.

“Toy manufacturers are forced to paint guns in bright colors, usually orange or yellow, that make it virtually impossible for an officer to mistake it for a real gun,” Chang said.

Not half as sexy as guns “desensitizing” kids so that when they grow up they want to shoot policemen, but it has the virtue of at least being rational.

I suppose I shouldn’t be so hard on the school administration. They’re going to have a gun safety lesson as well as a fire safety lesson in conjunction with the toy gun exchange which is information most kids could use. But it’s attitudes like the one held by that principal — glorying in their own ignorance and being so smug in their supposed moral superiority — that really gets to me.

*****

Cross-posted from PJ Tatler

image courtesy shutterstock /de2marco

Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

This in a nutshell is what is wrong with our nation's education system. We've put our children into the car of people too stupid to feed themselves, much less educate our children.

This isn't going to end well, at all.
Greetings:

Wasn't it Hillary Clinton who said that "It takes a government to indoctrinate a child." ???

Perhaps an emotional pallet cleanser from the Ghost of America Past is in order:

Even though I grew up in the Bronx in the afterglow of WWII, I was always more inclined to the cowboy ways. I had the twin Fanner Fiftys cap pistol rig which was, unfortunately, one of the banes of my dear mother’s existence.

One summer’s day, she took me and my sister to the movies, double-features in those days. The second movie was “The Charge at Feather River”, not only an oat-burner, but a 3-D oat-burner. I was allowed to wear my rig but was warned against bringing any caps. In one of the very few failures of my mother’s eternal vigilance program, she forgot the body cavity search and I managed to secret two full rolls on my person. During the intermission, I slipped off to the lavatory and loaded up.

The highlight of the movie for me was, you guessed it, “The Charge at Feather River”. The besieged calvary and cowpokes were attacked by the ferocious, in those days, pre-Native Americans. In unison, they loosed their arrows and spears which, through the miracle of 3-D, seemed to come pouring out of the screen directly at me and mine. So, what’s a boy-cowboy to do but to shoot up some caps to protect his mother, sister, and self.
However, before I could get off even a handful of shots, my mother had re-established her normal level of control of both my property and my person.

Later that evening, my mother came into my room with that twinkle in her eye that meant “Your father wants to talk to you in the living room.” Denotations aside, the obvious connotation was that parental supervision had been kicked up a notch to the ultimate level. When I arrived in the living room, my father was involved with his evening beer, cigarette, and newspaper. I sat down as quietly as possible on the couch. My father lowered his broadsheet and gave me his sternest look. He then began his pre-waterboarding-days interrogation.

“So,” my father began, “your mother took you to the movies this afternoon.” “She did,” I replied as my father’s look told me that that was all the answer required. “And, she let you take your six-guns.” Again, only the “She did.” “But, she told you no caps.” Once more, the “She did,” as the in-terror-gation proceeded along its course. “And, you took some anyway.” A quick switch to an “I did.” “And, you shot them off in the theater.” Again, an “I did” followed by a failed attempt to begin a litany of excuses for my actions.

“So,” my father began as he took a Lucky Strike pause, “How many Injuns d’ya kill?”
aharris, they get a chance to win a bicycle for each gun they turn in. If I had kid going to that school, I'd send him in with a few sticks that were used as guns, and chew a case of top tarts into the shape of a guns. And maybe stop off at the dollar store and buy a case of those little key ring sized guns that the kid in Mass (I think it was) got suspended for having a couple weeks ago.
What do they get in return? This is so ridiculous that I'd be tempted to turn in every single old and broken down old thing my son ever ran through the house brandishing before him and shouting "Bang, bang!" with. He was clearly using them all as toy guns. That would be an odd assortment, but if the cash is good we could may buy him a nifty new nerf dart shooter or something.