PJ Lifestyle Daily Question

June 6, 2013 - 5:01 pm

shutterstock_74610001****

image courtesy shutterstock / Nikola Spasenoski

Every week day a book excerpt, video, news story or some combination thereof to provoke spirited debate on controversial subjects. Have an idea you'd like to offer up for discussion? Email PJ Lifestyle's editor Dave Swindle: DaveSwindlePJM [@] Gmail.com

For years I smoked dope, lived for today and my next paycheck. It was an OK life, but a little vacuous and kinda' empty, and I was too 'foggy' to see it at the time.
Then, in late summer 1991, I drove through a red light on a Monday morning, preoccupied as-to where my next bag was coming from. Being unbelted , Inertia took over and I used my head and face to knock-out the windshield of my recently paid-off and not-so-well insured car [took off the collision coverage]
While I was healing from stitches, winkling glass from my head and arms, and bone breaks I had occasion to watch more news than normal and wondered what all the hub-bub was about, what with GHWB being such a D B and all. [snark intended, previously]
Went and got a Michigan Required permit to purchase [handgun] and what a rolling joke that process was. Sober, some of these twits were as dumb as stumps, yet they could say 'no' with little recourse, and office clerks were doing 'Safety Inspections', while looking like deer in headlights.
Started going to gun rights meetings locally, and it just cascaded from there.
Now, I'm really well-informed, [See : PJM and others] but because there ain't no more party material for my former buds to beg, borrow or sometimes buy, I got no 'friends', but do-have something much better : People who mean what they say and get out and do it. It just feels right, and oh,...so much better................
Freedom and Liberty to you all.
FINIS
My first was a Security-Six Ruger .357 and what a pistol it is.
Shiny, goes BANG real loud, and everything. Friends,... forever............
Six or seven years ago I was walking through a Barnes & Noble looking for investment books as career and life where finally (and belatedly) allowing me to save some money. I stumbled into some books describing what the U.S. was doing to the Dollar - which is more than just a "medium of exchange" it's a form of an asset due to international demand for Dollars - a situation described by a French economist to be an "exorbitant priviledge."

The books described how we have been supporting our lavish lifestyles through creating more and more Dollars for "export." After further study, I became convinced the United States is going to experience terrible times.

Smarter people than me are convinced this Dollar scheme is doomed to collapse, and when it does we won't be able to support our giant, entitled, semi-feral welfare classes. They won't be happy about this and will try to hunt us down for their "fair share." Look at the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. It may not happen soon, or even in my lifetime, but I wanted to be able to defend myself and my family in the event of hard times.

Scouting. Son was enjoying the riflery at camp, so we got a 22 Ruger for the family to enjoy. Later added a shotgun. Then in 2008, we could see what was coming, so all the adults obtained their concealed permits ... just because we could, by gum. Other firearms? Rather not go into it here. Love it when I can spend some time at the range ... very relaxing.
No inspiration here either - I've haven't bought a gun (yet) ironically. All of my firearms were gifts (first when I was 15) or inherited. The collection now numbers more than one cabinet or safe can hold and goes back 3 generations (possible 4 since I never got a good answer on one black powder shotgun). I'm just the current caretaker.

That's just the way it was in the backcountry. Firearms were family possessions and passed on.
Perhaps the more pertinent question would be, "What inspired you to buy your last gun"?
No inspiration. I enjoy the shooting sports. Rifle, pistol, shotgun sports and reloading to make my own custom loads. Nothing as profound as the lead article. However, there is always a heater close at hand while at the house.
Greetings:

And an almost on topic comment from the way, way back machine...

I grew up in the Bronx of the last '50s and '60s but was fortunate to be in a family that had a summer bungalow about 60 miles north in Putnam County. Thus, I had the benefit of both an urban culture and a country culture.

Spending summers upstate, my friends were country boys, used to going into the woods, camping overnight, and having our days to ourselves with no threat of nearby adult supervision.

Before long, I wanted to acquire the local accoutrements, guns and knives being my highest priorities.

My city-girl mother wasn't having any of it; my father, born in Ireland and a WWII graduate, quickly became my only chance for a successful acquisition. Initially, I separated him from his "war-knife" and subsequently began working on him for a 22 caliber rifle.

When my mother found out that my father was having me join a gun club in preparation for my new tool, he and my mother had an intensive dinner time discussion about the appropriateness of a relative youngster having his own firearm.

My mother insisted that this was no way to raise a child. My father's conclusionary statement was "I'm not raising a child; I'm raising a man."
"Not raising a child" -- that's real wisdom from a real father. Thanks for that! Tweeted with #FirstGunStories. https://twitter.com/ChrisKnox_AZ/status/342866971362197504
"I'm not raising a child; I'm raising a man."

That's exactly how I approach it.
Bought my first gun the week after Obama was elected, the first time.
Ditto. Actually, November 2008 was when my DH and I both began the process to get our CCW licenses.