NBC News Undercover Video Validates Claim of Disney Black Market Tour Guides

Apparently it's not just the super-rich who take advantage of opportunistic "disabled" tour guides.

Chris Queen

June 1, 2013 - 2:00 pm

CLCrowds2-061612-AVP (1)

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about the reports of wealthy Manhattan families hiring disabled individuals to pose as family members so that the guests could cut in line at Walt Disney World. Among the many comments I received disagreeing with me was one dismissing the claim as an urban legend.

Thanks to NBC News — something you’ll probably never hear me say again — we have proof that such behavior takes place at Disneyland in California. Investigative reporter Jeff Rossen and his team went undercover to expose the black market tour guides:

The rides, the characters: Disneyland is “the happiest place on earth” — except if you’re waiting in those long lines, you and your kids, waiting hours in the heat.

So how did one family get to skip past everyone? They did it ride after ride after ride, escorted to the front every time.

It’s the outrageous business few even know about: families bypassing the lines by hiring disabled tour guides with special passes. At most theme parks like Disney, they have great policies: The disabled get speedy access to rides. But now healthy families are abusing the system, paying disabled guides to get them in with up to five guests.

[...]

On ads we found on Craigslist, tour guides brag about their disabled passes: “Let’s cut the Disney lines together,” “access to … special entrances.”

On the video — which you can view here — two guests who possess the special passes (and who both look quite able-bodied) took a producer and his family to bypass even the longest of lines at Disneyland.

First up was a guide named Mara, who said she got her pass after a car accident. “I’m here to make sure everyone has fun at Disneyland and we get on as many rides as possible,” she told us.

“And you have a secret weapon that’s going to help us?” our producer asked.

“I do. I have a special card that’s going to help us beat the lines,” Mara replied with a wink.

And she charged $50 an hour to do it.

[...]

Our second disabled guide, Ryan, charged our family $200 and got them right through another side door at Star Tours, an attraction inspired by “Star Wars.” “I cant believe we’re getting past everybody,” our producer exclaimed.

NBC getting those important hard-hitting stories, heh? Meanwhile our country is being pillage by the political class.

Meat the Press!
In addition, these able-bodied people are likely getting a monthly Social Security check for their 'disability," along with other tax payer funded benefits like Medicare and Medicaid.
When are they putting up the Steven King, Anne Rice lowest common redneck denominator pavilion featuring Monster Trucks with green eyeballs and Saladin's vampire armies who rode around on magic carpets? There's a reason those Crusaders had giant crosses stitched onto their chests. Just ask Anne in the Garden District on 1st St. near Magazine. She stands in front of her mansion with her arms crossed glaring at people all the time.
This doesn't surprise me at all. I see people with either a handicap license plate or the plastic sign hanging from their rear view mirror park in the handicap spots. Upon getting out of their vehicle, it's pretty obvious the only handicap they have is being unethical. I realize, there may be someone in the family that allowed them to get handicap signage, but they weren't in the vehicle at that time. People abuse privileges for those that genuinely need it all the time. It's our new "normal".
Been to an Urban Type Grocery/Merchandise store lately ? {Kroger, Target, Wal-Mart.] All the H/C tricycles [electric powered] are being ridden around by people who simply walk up, get in, and go on their way. Never a cane, or walker to be seen
I'm the vittle-getter here and I'm in at least 3 stores a week. I normally see this [at least] every second visit, sometimes two per visit.
One guess what 'extraction' 90 % of these tricycle riders are ?
You got it,... bub....
I sometimes feel that half of the county I live in have disabilities by the number of spaces reserved for them that are ALWAYS filled. I have a handicap sign I try and use on really bad days; otherwise, I park in the hinter lands and walk for the exercise just as I did before I needed that blasted plastic sign.
So People with disabilities are not allowed to Work for profit ? The disabled did not make the rules at Disneyworld/ land.. They ( Disabled Guides) have the " Dream job".. They get to go to the Park and get Paid a few hundred dollars a day to do it ... They Pick the rides they want to go on, Free hotel stay Some Rich folks even pay for meals.. Being Jealous of the handicapped because they " cut in line".. Got Join the army and get a Leg or two blown off You can go to the front of the line with Pay too !
Your comment is completely moronic.
This sort of thing has been going on for years. At the amusement park in our area, a group of teenagers would go to the front of the line pushing another teenager in a wheelchair. The teenager in the wheelchair would have their foot freshly wrapped, or in a splint. I doubt all of them had real injuries.

I'm not sure why a disabled person, who can tolerate a amusement park ride, can't also tolerate waiting in line to get on the ride.

Meat the Press!
The story about jockeying for position among the near-rich somehow put me into a trance. People pay almost a c-note just to walk into the park? They were well and truly fleeced before they ever saw a frickin' line. I'm surprised they're all not standing in barrels slung on their shoulders and long johns. Some people have bucket list of things to do, others of things to never do.

Among the latter I count Disneyland, video gaming, pulling the hairs out of my head one by one, having to drink coffee just to wake up, going to antebellum Acapulco, Las Vegas, listening to literature on head phones, climbing Mt. Everest, slamming windows on my head and riding a donkey while listening to a transistor radio and selling Cokes out of a bag at the pyramids of Giza.
You wouldn't see me dead at any Disney outlet (although, from the sound of things, that would be the magical wonderpass to gain instant access), but I have to wonder why disability confers special status on someone, when it comes to the matter of queuing. Disabled people expect, rightly, to be treated the same way as everybody else, in every other context. Yes, they variously (and rightly) require ramps and lifts and Braille, but why does being "disabled" allow one to jump the queue?
"but exploiting people with disabilities in order to skip to the front is disgraceful"

Doesn't sound to me like disabled people are being exploited. $50 an hour, probably under the table, is good money.

Now, if people who shouldn't qualify have disabled passes, that's a different matter... but that's on the guides, not the people hiring them.

By the way, I heard on the news that Disneyland is hiking prices to $92 ($86 for children under 10). Plus parking, food, and souveneirs, of course. An extra couple of hundred dollars for someone to cut down on the lines might not be a bad investment for the vacation.
I have no problem with the process for actual disabled people and their legitimate party members. But while this isn't illegal I bet it is against the rules set forth by Disney which, as a believer in capitalism, I think Disney has the right to set. We, as customers of Disney, are also allowed to insist they enforce those rules or take our business elsewhere.

Therefore if, as another poster pointed out, Disney wanted to offer this as a service to their customers (pay more and get special access or park guide) I don't have a problem with such a service. But someone misrepresenting themselves and breaking the *law* of the park as set forth by the owner is morally wrong and Disney has the right to recourse for people breaking their park rules.

And if they refuse to enforce their park rules then they can go the way of plenty of other businesses who do so and lose those customers who choose to take their business elsewhere. Disney is popular for a reason, and their attention to details such as picking up trash, paying serious attention to first aid and lost kids, as well as other aspects that I am unaware of because they run it so seemlessly is why they are still a favorite destination and can charge the prices they do.
1 2 Next View All