The 4 Most Annoying Things D.C. Drivers Encounter on the Road

Commuting in our nation's capital is not for the faint of heart or for the "easily annoyed."

Becky Graebner

May 17, 2013 - 9:00 am

20110906_washington-cars_612mz

I am going to play off of the article written by Hannah Sternberg on bike week and talk about driving. Is there a “drive to work” week?  I guess every week is “drive to work week,” or, in Washington, D.C., “try not to die while getting to your place of employment” week.

Washington, D.C., has the great honor of being one of the worst places to own a car and to navigate in a vehicle.  Getting in and out of the city is something akin to Frodo’s quest to destroy the one ring in Mordor.  Here is my list of the four most annoying things D.C. drivers encounter on the road.

*Also, these are not in a specific order as all of them are equally annoying.

1. Herds of tourists

There are so many people and so many cars on the road in D.C., it typically takes 20 minutes to go four miles.  As a D.C. resident, you get used to ridiculousness like this, but in order to get to your destination, you need to be a little aggressive–like zooming through greens and even using yellows to get through intersections.  If you don’t, you may never get home.  I understand that tourists want to take the “prettiest picture ever” of that monument or that cherry blossom tree, but you can’t walk out into the middle of the road to do it. You also can’t stand with 50 of your underage friends in the crosswalk and re-recreate the Harlem Shake when you are blocking traffic.  The drivers trying to obey the traffic lights want to get home–and you and your “I LOVE DC” t-shirt are the only thing between them and their goal…you better move it.

Sorry, these are silly complaints: liberals refer to the museums and monuments as "free", but they're prepaid, as noted earlier. US citizens have been paying for those "free" museums and monuments for decades.

And, protests are just part of what you get: Florida has gators and hurricanes, California and Alaska have earthquakes, Alabama and Oklahoma have tornados, and DC has terrorism, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and crazy guys in tractors in the Reflecting Pool. It's part of the Bill of Rights, ya know?
While in DC a while ago, Wifey and I used the tour buses, parked at Arlington to catch/leave them, and saw/went/did all we wanted.
But, all the time I was there, I just had to pity the locals and the absolutely atrocious driving that is seemingly standard issue, thereabouts.
[BTW I am from Detroit and I know what atrocious driving looks and feels like...]
You ever see The Pentagon empty-out @ 5 pm ? We spun a 'You-ie', against at least three signs and were glad of it. The Vandal Horde had nothing on what we saw.
We have problems like that here, but on county roads. I say, if you want to ride a bike, go to China.
You live in a city. There is no inalienable right to drive conveniently wherever you want to. Try walking, riding a bike, or taking public transport.
Or live in a foreign country and hope Obama does not come to visit and shut EVERYTHING down.
yes..traffic SUCKS in most big cities? What is the purpose of this article? Why do you live in DC? job, family, friends, etc.. All, I see here is another 20 nothing, entitled me generation person bitching about nothing..Move the hell out if it is such a "burden" to you..
DC is actually a very neighborhood-oriented town.
Just go anywhere in Florida during tourist season (well, non-tourist season is mid September until the week before Thanksgiving, and maybe a couple weeks in early May.) Tourists in rentals cars, some from places with "relaxed" traffic laws, all trying to see Mickey. Good times.
Hmmm.... Why the number 4?
I thought it would be:

1) Lying Democrat Retards
2) Liberal Morons
3) Regressive Leftists
4) Skum bag corrupt commie Cabinet members
Actually, now that the number of Kennedys in office is down the roads around DC are a bit safer. The number one threat when crossing the street is Biden's motorcade (4 accidents so far). The former Sec of Commerce who hit a few cars in CA a while back is out of office too.
I lived a mile from the White House and was driving to a restaurant a half mile from the White House when I was boxed in by the Xmas tree lighting for 45 minutes. Good times.

My worst memories of DC were of Mercedes and BMW drivers. They own the rode don't you know, you need to get out of their way. Here in Texas, it's the oversized pick up trucks who own the road.
1 2 Next View All