Quiz! What’s Your TV Sitcom Family Lifestyle?

Who would you rather live with, the Griffins or the Hecks?

Susan L.M. Goldberg

April 17, 2013 - 7:30 am

Throughout this series I’ve questioned where the line is drawn between reflecting and affecting when it comes to the media’s relationship with real life. Either way, the determining factor is relatability. You aren’t going to imitate something unless you can relate to it, and if you can’t relate to a show, chances are it isn’t anywhere near a reflection of who you are.

So, in the interest of all things entertainment, let’s take a simple quiz to determine your relatability factor when it comes to the portrayal of “traditional family” on television using two popular prime-time family-themed shows: Family Guy and The Middle.

Family Guy: The show is apathetic, even nihilistic at times, mocks the same politically correct values it thrives on, and typifies men and women in terms taught best in Gender Studies 101. The Middle is one of a handful of shows to make it to the air that depicted exactly what its title intimated: a middle -lass, middle-of-the-road family living in the middle of nowhere, America.  As working middle class as the Griffins, the Hecks are a family of five that mirrors the demographics of the Quahog clan: father, mother, two sons with a daughter in the middle.

So, what’s your relatability factor? And how does your relatability compare with the ratings? Take this simple five-question quiz to find out!

I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom here by saying if I'm going to watch a show I want it to be impactful and Family Guy is impactful. I've probably seen a few dozen episodes though I don't watch regularly. The Middle - even if it represents more wholesome characters - sounds dull and therefore less worth watching than Family Guy.
I have never seen these shows at all. I think maybe I am better off that way.
This is a Conservative site. I doubt many Conservatives know what the heck you are talking about. I know I never watch any of this tripe.
I think Mike's relationship with his kids is pretty nuanced, and they've used a few episodes with Mike's dad and brother to show why he's phobic about 'feelings'. Of course it's used for laughs, but the payoff of most episodes is that Mike fights through the discomfort to do what's right by his kids because he understands what it means to be a father. I don't think 'forced' is the right word to use here.
you have obviously never watched The Middle, Mike Heck only involves himself in his kids' lives when he is forced to do so. shoddy blogging
I must side with Dave on this. Mike does get involved with his kids, sometimes reluctantly, for sure, but no one 'force[s him] to do so.' Shoddy commenting.
Why would anyone take the time to write an article promoting a TV show that they have "obviously never watched"?
I've watched one episode of Family Guy, but I regularly watch The Middle. 'nuf said.