G.I. Joe: Retaliation: A Tasty Pro-American Popcorn Movie

How about a heroic military shoot-em-up this weekend? Added bonus: the president is lying to you and intentionally trying to sabotage the country.

John Boot

March 29, 2013 - 12:45 pm
YouTube Preview Image

By Zeus, it’s been awhile since there’s been a decent shoot-em-up at the movies. But G.I. Joe: Retaliation will slake your need for gadgets, guns and explosions, and it’s even got some cool villains and funny jokes.

This one finds the super-secret team of elite military masters from all over the world up against the Zeus project by which the equally ferocious team of nasties known as Cobra hopes to rain down death and destruction on the earth. The Joes may have courage, comradeship and extremely large machine guns on their side but Cobra Commander and his crew have something that can top all that: They control the President (Jonathan Pryce) of the United States, who is actually a plant named Zartan. And what is Zartan up to? Only calling a world summit of the eight nuclear-armed powers and tricking them into doing his bidding.

When an action spectacular is willing to go all the way and have characters say things like, “The world will cower in the face of Zeus,” you know you’re in the frenzied land of pure junky comic-book energy, and on that level Retaliation works just fine. In the opening minutes alone, there are three big ker-blammo fight scenes involving the close-knit core members of the Joe team: There’s the wily old sergeant Roadblock (Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson), the amiable but slightly dense captain Duke (Channing Tatum), the rookie Flint (D.J. Cotrona) and the slinky Lady Jaye (Adrianne Palicki).

Hey! Spoiler! (About the pearl-handled revolver).
I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. There was plenty of action and it wasn't full of Hollywood elites promoting their stupid philosophies.
Wow, a run of the mill action movie aimed at ignorant teenagers based on a toy I had when I was seven sure must have some good social commentary
You're aware that Shakespeare was considered a low-brow populist in his time, right?

Just calibrating the discussion, here.
About as much as the democratic national convention (Jon Stewart's little "on the street" interview of delegates) and any occupy wall street protest.
Hmmmm... I'll wait for it to come out on blu-ray. I have an aversion to sitting amongst a whole mess of freebie obama phone users that are too stupid to turn off their phone and can't shut their stupid mouths. I also don't like paying more for a tub of popcorn and a drink than I did to get in the movie.

But I will get it, trust me on that. :-)
Code word for blacks?
Yeah, John, from the previews, I'd say this a 'feel good' movie all the way!
Sounds like a documentary;)