Why Would Anyone Want To Permit 100,000 Preventable Deaths Every Day?

Biogerontologist Aubrey de Grey explains why life extension technologies make people uncomfortable on page 188 of Glenn Reynolds' An Army of Davids.

PJ Lifestyle Bookshelf

March 26, 2013 - 10:00 am

Click to submit book suggestions for the new daily feature at PJ Lifestyle. Tuesday selections focus on technology, media, communication, capitalism, writing, self-improvement and entrepreneurship.

A book recommendation often with excerpt(s), usually attempting to fit the daily theme. Family and Relationships on Monday, Practical and Technology on Tuesday, Laughter on Wednesday, Culture on Thursday, Intellect on Friday, Health and Fitness on Saturday, and Religion and Ethics on Sunday. Image courtesy shutterstock / robert_s

The entry is short so maybe I'm missing something. Unless de Grey is suggesting that people will never die, those 100,000 will still be dying every day - just on a different day.
To hell with 'em, Dave. People can't decide what the passage means without expert commentary?

I'm here to help, and i'm NOT from the government.

There is a basic problem with the concept of life extension. If the horizon is 20 to 30 years away, I promise than I'll be dead long before whatever the science and technology could possibly be of benefit to me, B Dubya, the egocentric center of my personal universe and the brightest light in the night sky to my one and only grandchild. (That's OK, by the way. Just part of the entry fee to being alive and I wouldn;t have missed this for anything)

I'm sure Mikey Bloomberg will be heartbroken. Most of what drives him, in relation to hes propensity for playing a nanny on daytime soaps, is the projected fear of dying that owns him. He's scared shitless to die.

Plus, there is this little bit that Mr. De Grey has apparently overlooked. Who does he think will be the beneficiaries of life extension in the age of Obamacare?
The watermellons want you and me dead and there is no way they are going to go along with a program that lets the wrong sort survive. Wealthy Democrats who make heavy cash contributionswould be acceptable, but those inbred redneck crackers (paraphrase of the enlightened Alabama state senator's email) will just have to go!
Photos of e-readers and books have to be the laziest, least worthwhile effort at online content I've ever seen, and I've read Fark.
Some people apparently don't understand that it takes effort to A) select something interesting, B) photograph it properly C) write a headline that grabs attention to get people to click, D) write a one-sentence teaser explaining what it's from E) Do all of that while simultaneously doing other work for the publication and G) respond to the online trolls to explain myself. But it's gratifying to know that what I do appears effortless to some.
I do think the format would be improved by adding a little more writing than just the headline.
How much writing do you think is necessary in order to introduce each excerpt? I was trying to get the bare essentials down of what one needed to know to just the headline and the one sentence in the teaser. I tend to take the minimalist approach inspired by Instapundit, except presenting photos and excerpts instead of links.