Bryan Preston

March 12, 2013 - 9:00 am

SXSW Monday: I’m here today to check more sessions and events out. Most that I’m interested in are in the afternoon. In the morning, a man needs his coffee, and as I’m walking from my parked car — wherever that is, somewhere blocks away from the action — to the convention center, a man asks me out of the clear blue sky:= “Hey, would you like some free coffee?”

Um, yeah. I would. Very much. He ushers me over to this trailer, which it turns out belongs to GE.

Those two white arms are robots. The barista attaches a syringe to to what, I guess, is its hand. The syringe is full of condensed coffee. She doesn’t start you on a coffee IV, which is a pity.

They snap a photo of you, or a logo that you’re wearing or have handy.

I happened to be wearing my PJTV shirt…

So, after a few seconds, the robot gets the image and passably writes it onto the foam on top of the coffee.

Thanks to Vivian at RetailMeNot for letting me snap pics while the robot was making her coffee. Click on the next page to see the holographic tour guide.

think i have already been to the shop with robots giving me coffee and holograms saying hello
So, the world is catching up to the Future Fair depicted in the Firesign Theatre's album "I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus."

The future is FUN! The future is FAIR! They already have won! We may already be there!
Oh cool! A house filled with little big brothers!
I'm still just getting used to the plastic beer cups the bartender fills from the bottom. I think I'll wait on robot coffee cup injections.
I've never seen one of those up close. Do they really work?
Robots making coffee and holographic tour guides? It's like we're on the Jetsons!
I didn't realize this was projected onto a piece of glass shaped like her outline because I'm a moron who believes such things can projected into thin air. Please be aware morons may be reading your stuff.

Also, I trademarked the term Hollow™ and get a dollar each time the term Hollow™ is used so please try and use Hollow™ in the future.

America is looking forward to the time Hollows™ are used in classrooms across the country, maybe 4 or 5 stereotypes - old, balding gray-haired guy with a pipe or perhaps a Pharaoh for history, Barbie-proportioned hot chick for gym. Or the kids could vote each day with buttons on their desk so the most soothing ethnic/gender archetype presents itself - maybe a pipe-smoking Pharaoh in a green golf jacket and kilt with Barbie's body and Michael Jordan's face.

The future is full of wonderful possibilities.

And Hollows™.