At What Age Did You Decide to Grow Up?

Dagny Taggart knew when she was 9. An excerpt from page 51 of Atlas Shrugged.

PJ Lifestyle Bookshelf

February 21, 2013 - 10:30 am

****

Click to submit book suggestions for the new daily feature at PJ Lifestyle. Currently Thursdays explore the work of Ayn Rand. Please send your favorite excerpts and quotes.

****

image courtesy shutterstock / JFunk

Related at PJ Lifestyle:

A Reason for Faith: 6 Fatal Misconceptions

A book recommendation often with excerpt(s), usually attempting to fit the daily theme. Family and Relationships on Monday, Practical and Technology on Tuesday, Laughter on Wednesday, Culture on Thursday, Intellect on Friday, Health and Fitness on Saturday, and Religion and Ethics on Sunday. Image courtesy shutterstock / robert_s

I didn't. And if you make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to.
I think I am doing it in reverse.

I suspect I was born grown (wayyyy too serious minded for my own good), and as I have grown older I seem to be reverting to more childish outlooks...lol.

Either that or the senility is kicking in.
I may have been a bit late in 'growing up'. I was 25 when I came to an epiphany - a realization that it was time to get along in life. My daughter was born that year. The party was over. Not many men went to court asking for custody of a young child and got that wish granted in 1975 - I did and got that wish. Less than 5 years after 'growing up' I found myself as a single parent for that little girl. She adores me to this day - something I can't quite figure out since I did nothing much special except raise her as best I could. Something her mother wasn't willing to do. With help from my mother I was able to pull it off. It wasn't easy - life seldom is.

It wasn't like I was ready to grow up at 25 - life had decided it was time for me to grow up. I just didn't fight it.
Maybe when I realized in high school that I was a vastly different person than I was presenting myself as, but that it would do me no good to be that person while I was still in high school due to its cliquish nature. So, I was basically marking time until college when I could be free to be myself.