Rule of Law

Justice Department Launches LGBT ‘Special Emphasis Program’

April 3rd, 2013 - 6:41 am

The United States Department of Justice has launched a “Special Emphasis Program” to recruit and provide professional development to gay and transgender employees according to an internal memo obtained by PJ Media. The institutionalization of the Special Emphasis Program will ensure an “annual LGBT special observance event in June, outreach and awareness events, and professional development seminars (for LGBT employees).” Apparently the sequester was no obstacle to implementing this program.

Some of this is a reaction to Attorney General John Ashcroft’s unwillingness to provide special benefits to Justice Department employees simply because of their sexual orientation. The “Special Emphasis Program” described in the memo will make it all but impossible for the next Republican attorney general to eliminate the program. The creation of bureaucratic inertia through the program described in the memo makes it extremely difficult to undo the program.

I ran into an old friend who told me that he was starting a playwrights' workshop... but I couldn't enter anything because it was for gay-themed plays or plays by gay playwrights.

...Because, I guess, there aren't enough gay people in theatre or something.

That's like trying to get more black kids to get interested in basketball.
Good to hear about an "emphasis program," because, gee, I just don't hear ENOUGH about homosexuals!

I heard it a while ago, and it just keeps getting truer: "The love that cannot be spoken has turned into the love that simply won't shut up."
Are there any programs for "non-special " people?
It is and never was about equality. Dont ever make that mistake.
is not and never was
The gay-rights movement is, and always has been, a "human rights" movement which seeks to gain special privileges and largesse from the government.

It is not, and has never been, a "civil rights" movement. Civil rights are rights held against the government, to restrain government power. "Human rights" are privileges granted to a favored constituency.
When you have institutional discrimination (christian believers are indoctrinated to think gay is a sin) that has carried on for at least 2000 years, something that was classified as a *mental illness* as best until the 1970's, it's simply pathetic to think someone could regard this as anything BUT a civil rights type of issue.

Lolly -- why now. Because this is the moment in history when finally it can happen. From the US civil rights movement years passed before apartheid could be addressed. And so on. It's time.
You do understand the difference between a religion and the government, don't you? Someone else's religion has no power over you, the government does. What an absurd analogy.
Do you even know what apartheid is? It is minority rule over a majority. Which is basically what you are arguing FOR!

I really mean no disrespect, but you're ridiculous. What this is, is a deconstruction of America - which was a pretty great place to live before the leftists started dickering with it. Worldwide it is a decontruction of the west which is the only power in the world that stands in the way to global totalitarianism.

Once the west is gone as a power don't think your precious gays will stand a chance in hell of surviving.
Can you think of any reason why it's being pushed so hard right now? I mean what's so special about "now?" This same thing is also happening in France and England - all without the consent of the people.
Any day now we'll hear George Will state "the opposition to transgendered marriage is dying."

No George, it's your nation that is dying.
The Hurston Wright Foundation
Black Writers Alliance Award
Celebration of Black Writing
Black Publishers & Writers Awards
New Voices Award
The Dickerson-Du Bois Undergraduate Award
BCALA Literary Award
Asian American Literature Award
Coretta Scott King Book Awards
The Unpublished Writers Award
Black Mystery Writers Awards
National Council for Black Studies Writing Award
AAMBC Literary Awards

Those are literary awards I can never win because I am white. They are not cultural or national awards, but racial. I want to know whether they receive state or federal funding and what the DOJ and professional diversity groups are doing to introduce diversity into such awards.

...Because, I guess, there aren't enough gay people in theatre or something.

That's like trying to get more black kids to get interested in basketball.
Do you think this sort of stuff will tend to wither and die off once gays have full legal equality vis a vis marriage? Most of this seems like (over)compensation for lack of perceived equality.
The double standard, considering how much these groups whine about "justice," verges on insanity. I mean, how can one be that stupid and blind to their own bigotry? Do as say, not as I do. But when they want a job, suddenly it's diversi-time!
AFAIK, these are private awards given out by private organizations. If you wanted to start a private organization that give scholarships to needy white kids, you are free to do so. This is how the free market works,
I know my public professional school gives an award to an outstanding female researcher.
You must be insane. If anyone in this country tried to do such a thing they'd be tarred and feathered as neo-Nazis and KKK in the blink of an eye and the DOJ would investigate what facilities are used, local discrimination laws and the whole nine yards. The NAACP would call for boycotts among every other race pimp org in America. In fact, I am not free to do so, nor would I want to in the first place. I can't see skin when I'm reading and I'm pretty sure skin doesn't make people write differently unless they see the world through skin in the first place.
But don't you know that a disadvantaged black woman like Michelle Obama has a much more honest and wise worldview than the privileged outlook of a white male from the rural South?
I know that the biggest organized posse of bigots in America are precisely the ones who whine about bigotry the most.
Special Emphasis will become exactly what affirmative action became: government sponsored discrimination.
Ah, what the hell. I think that cross dressing Fridays throughout the federal bureaucracy will lighten the gloom currently pervading Washington.
This special emphasis is going show how "sexual orientation" differs from race and sex.

It is going to be very easy for someone to claim that they are gay or bi. What are they going to do make you perform as a matter of proof?
Eh, Elizabeth Warren has pretended to be a Native American. And Barack Obama has a back-cover blurb that states he was born in Kenya (for extra disadvantage points!, even though Obama was raised in a privileged, academic family).
Using sexual orientation in hiring seems to me to be flat illegal. Eric the Red Holder doesn't care about legality.
the legal standard is that you cannot fire someone based upon sex/gender/orientation. But if your company has no female employees, and you decide that your company's next hire should be a woman, there's no law prohibiting you from doing so.