Dr. Helen

Kyle Smith at the NY Post has an interesting article on the emasculation of men in our society:

“Free to Be . . . You and Me” was a piece of Ms. Foundation-produced feminist propaganda disguised as entertainment for children that first appeared on ABC 40 years ago this week, on March 11, 1974. It drew big ratings, leading to platinum status for an associated album, a best-selling book, and many repeat airings of the show…..

The show, which is of course unwatchable today except perhaps in states with generous attitudes toward self-medication such as Colorado and Washington, was an hour-long special that meant to tell little girls they could be anything they wanted, and little boys they could be anything they wanted too, provided that what they wanted was to be girls.

The program’s most searing and indelible moment was the horrifying sight of Rosey Grier, a huge man once known as one of the most ferocious players in the NFL, strumming a guitar, smiling like a brain donor and singing “It’s All Right to Cry.”…

The climactic close to “It’s All Right to Cry” is a montage of real people (the vast majority male) shedding tears. Lads, open the waterworks! To women of today who are wondering why men must act like little boys, this is as good a moment as any to pinpoint as the start of the epidemic.

This trend continues today with the PC trend of sports, particularly football, and men being told that only the emotions of girls are acceptable unless they themselves actually act like one and then they are mocked by other men and women for their weakness. It’s confusing and disturbing that men are so emasculated on one hand and on the other, are supposed to “act like men” when convenient for women and society.

When this stuff comes up, I don't act like a woman, discussing it incessantly. I act like a man; I turn and walk silently away.
Maybe you don't have the intelligence to keep up, Ed 2. If that's the case, I would try to turn it into a virtue as well.
You'd still walk silently away from your boss or the police if you get some type of false accusation? Doubt it. You walk silently away as your ex-wife makes sure that you get thrown in jail if you don't pay every penny of her alimony?

By the way, a Real Man (TM) doesn't make a passive-aggressive comment, trying to b!tch slap other men from the safety of his keyboard, and then flee like a woman. Just to keep things real, Ed 2.
I've witnessed many incidents like the one reported by BuenaVista -- doesn't matter where you go in the U.S., there is a significant percentage of (usually middle-aged) women looking to put the Beat Down on guys through male relatives, police, co-workers, courts, store employees . . . it is endless.

Their tactic is always the same: behave badly towards a male, then escalate the drama in the event the Evil Male actually stands up for himself. At that point, the Beat Down commences as the "victim" quickly enlists nearby males to enforce her malevolence.

Of course, she is always The Victim, and the results of her being "threatened" by the Evil Male are always the same. Usually, she gets very loud, very fast, to gather the largest number of Protectors in the shortest time. So, it's no wonder why western men do not stand up, nor even speak up, when confronted in public with controlling, manipulative, and pathological behavior by women. It's a guaranteed loss, and often includes a further Beat Down administered by her cops, courts, Justsis Sistem, etc., all of whom exist to enforce and excuse her monstrousness.

P.S. great article title -- nice to finally see the plain truth spoken in the U.S., after half-a-century of lies.

Cheers.
I just ignore all this gender stuff and act like the man I am, and my wife acts like the woman she is. Viva la difference, and oh by the way manners do not emasculate a man but only confirm your status. Sorry, but help the lady reach her item and "be a man."
I'm 5'4". If I can figure out how to get something that's just out of my reach, then so can that lady. She wanted to be equal, equals get their own damn stuff of a shelf.
Yes, just do what the "little lady" wants, no matter how she treats you. A man is only measured by what spoiled women think of him.

I really get tired of wanna-be White Knight hard guys on the Internet showing how swell they are by trying to shame other men.

Women are human beings, not goddesses up on a pedestal. And you sound like a moron who can readily be exploited by women.
Do we still need this?

I am a leader in a Masonic Lodge. We have a program to discuss a book or two each year, depending on the wishes of the elected officer of the year, this year me. Read your book. Directed my brothers to read your book for discussion in our April meeting, bought extra copies to distribute to brothers who might have been inclined to forgo our discussion in Lodge.
I am disgusted by the WSJ article. I am a beta. I want to tell the authors of the article in the WSJ to grow some. Leadership is hard. You have to bring something of value to your (what did she say "employees?) brethren. It's not about your phone and pen. And it's not about your female roundness attributes
(peace be upon the pjmedia censors)
Now that access to manly men are on the empowerment menu -- but only when the Strong Independent Woman (SIWtm) finds it to be convenient for her -- we see the rise of a new feminine entitlement: Situational Masculinity.

What is Situational Masculinity? That is a a masculinity in which the man gives a free call option to all women to exploit him on demand. Thus a man must be absolutely gender neutral and totally beta and admiring of the Special Awesomeness of all women. Until the SIW's nose wrinkles, and then he must immediately Man UP! and server her requirements for masculine sex, masculine protection, masculine work efforts, and, of course, masculine bill-paying.

The interesting thing is to watch women turn on a dime between SIW mode, and "I'm a delicate flower be my white knight" mode. The other night I was having a cocktail in a country bar, and a guy said, "If I put money in the jukebox will you turn up the volume?" The barmaid said, "Sure. Play me some Dwight Yoakum." The guy put 10 bucks in the jukebox (and this is a modest rural joint, so $10 is more than most guys spend on drinks for a whole evening). Next:

He: "Hey, you said you were going to turn up the volume?"

She: "I did, a little bit. You don't have to be rude."

He: "What? You didn't turn it up. Can I have my $10 back?"

She turns to me: "BV, will you tell this man this is no way to talk to a lady? Or he can just leave."

He: "Seriously, can I have my money back?"

She: "BV, will you ask this man to leave if he can't be polite to me?"

Effortlessly and without thought she transitioned from "I am woman hear me roar I run this bar filled with men" to "OH! Evil man picking on me" to "Who will protect me from this evil man?" They learn this stuff at school, in the media, and in any corporate environment.

Oh, I did open my mouth. "I can't hear it either." So she pursed her lips and raised the volume one dB and looked at us and smiled.

This certainly looks like the root of the push to emasculate men in this country. Glad I missed that show. I'll have to see if my parents remember it, and thank them for not buying into that crap at that level.
I somehow bypassed "Free to be you and me". Though I'm not sure why. Many of my generational cohorts seem to remember it fondly. Dodged that bullet, at least.
I have been warning my sons for years that they're living in a world hostile to white males, especially, and to be careful, Fortunately they've both got an amazing ability to edit themselves but it's a shame they have to.
I'm not sure if this is on-topic or not, but I found this weird the other day in the supermarket:

I was pushing my cart down an aisle and heard, "hello". I saw a woman with one foot on a base and the cooler door open, leaning to get something at the top. I know exactly what she wanted.

I usually try to help people, but I was in a bad mood due to another issue and the woman looked like a pushy-type Cute Young Thing(TM). So I just kept moving. I heard, "SIR, CAN YOU PLEASE COME OVER HERE?".

I waved my arm at her in a "no" gesture without even looking at her again or slowing down.

A bit later, I was coming down an aisle when a guy blocked my way and put his "Loss Prevention" badge under my nose. He said that I was making people in the store uncomfortable. I was to get what I needed and then check out. NOW. He then followed me around as I got the remainder of my stuff and escorted me to a cash register. He didn't seem to be in the mood to answer any questions, and I knew what the issue was anyway.

The ONLY thing that could have bothered anyone in the store was my ignoring Cute Young Thing(TM) in her quest for help. If the genders were reversed, I don't think a brave, chivalrous loss prevention expert would be throwing out the woman just on a man's word.
The recorder on the phone would be out, I'd have the "loss prevention expert's" name and supervisor, I'd have the name of the area manager, and I'd have the name of the custodian of records to secure the video recordings from, along with his entire employment history.

I'm in agreement - this over-paid walmart 'ass'ociate was punked up, thinking he was getting somewhere with CYT(tm). I'm sure his manager'd like to know that he's harassing customers without cause, especially someone who knows enough to not meekly slink out the door.

Ditto to all that -- plus my asking to speak to the manager, then abandoning my full cart and saying "Keep your garbage, and I and everyone I know will never shop here again, and your management will hear why, with names. Have fun on unemployment."
Holy crap! That is extremely troubling. I understand your desire to just get out but I almost wish you would've made him tell you exactly what the problem was...

Who knows what the woman told the store. I'm sure she exaggerated. Or maybe her boyfriend was the loss prevention guy.

As a man, I've learned that you either have to be back up what you are saying ... or just eat sh!t. In the case above, I would have just left as well. It could may well be that the store employee is the complainee's girlfriend. Any complaints will get you further trouble.

Women have privileges that feminists never talk about. Wonder why.
Someone needs to be the Spartacus in this situation. Or it will never end.

I'm Spartacus.
Well alright ... do that then.

As you get older, "Spartacus", you learn to discern the hills you don't want to die on. Don't you have homework to do? Tomorrow is a school day.
Wow. Thanks for the snark.

Look at the scene from Spartacus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8h_v_our_Q

But I suppose your response indicates why it is unlikely to ever happen. A coward dies a thousand deaths…

C'est la vie.