Dr. Helen

Minding the Campus.com: “The Problem of Males on the Feminized Campus” (thanks to the reader who provided the link!):

But there is also a cultural problem here: the now conventional anti-male attitude on campus. I know from my own teaching experience that the pervasiveness of this attitude, launched on the first day of class with a stark rape seminar, causes males, especially of blue-collar origin, to flee a community they quickly come to see as suffused with the gender-studies rebuke of men now built into college life.

A consistent failure of the school system is reflected in its failure to educate males and females equally effectively. If the problem category were race or religion it would be politically intolerable. But boys and men–no problem. Where, for example, is the White House Council on Boys and Men, still non-existent years after the nifty one on girls and women was proudly brandished? Presumably lost somewhere in electoral politics and some dingy acceptance of payback for that vaunted 5000 years of patriarchy. We can do better.

When schools failed girls, we changed the schools. When schools fail boys, we give the boys drugs.
I was the only white guy in some African American studies classes in college. Before you start the grief, I knew nothing of African American history as I had not been taught any, and found the subject fascinating, so I took the courses as electives.

Anyway, the fist day of class, the teacher, a wonderful lady named Sonya Stone, grilled me! She asked me to discuss the history of reparaitions in the US. I brought up 20 acres and a mule and some other program I forget, then she lit into me! I recall the part as she finished "So you are telling me that after 400 years of slavery all that is worth 20 acres and a mule?"

Somewhere I found my voice and said "No mam, I was just answering your question. If I was some cracker racist I would never have signed up for this." She fumed for a second more then smiled and laughed. We turned into friends after the class and she would always give me a hug when she saw me on campus.

What I appreciated was not her initial bigotry, but her willingness to listen and accept what I said. That and her unfailing kindness to me after that.

Trey
" Presumably lost somewhere in electoral politics and some dingy acceptance of payback for that vaunted 5000 years of patriarchy." Like that statement has any basis in fact.
Note, prior to about 1900, the leading cause of death in women was child birth. Also note that during the 20th century death by child birth, in the developed world anyway, has been reduced by entire orders of magnitude and women's life expectancy, as an average increased precipitously.

Finally note that the 20th century western industrial development has spent more time and intelligence on easing the 'home maker's' burdens than any other perhaps excepting direct agriculture.

We engineers are at fault, by giving women so much free time....(sarc off)
ta
At this point, any man who's on campus to study anything other than engineering or medicine is a damn fool. You can learn everything else better off-campus.