Rubin Reports

The Gates of Hell: Obama and Clinton Are Cooked

January 12th, 2014 - 11:59 am

For the last five years, I have waited for the other shoe to drop.

In 2008, the American people elected an incompetent and foolish president, Obama. President Obama knew that he could only trust a handcuffed politician and loyalist like Hillary Clinton as secretary of state. He then later appointed the pompous John Kerry to fill this capacity. Yet this “gang that couldn’t shoot straight” was a ticking time bomb.

Three strikes and you’re out. Let me list them:

1. Obama: incompetent and disinterested in policy (president).
  2. Clinton: interested in policy but a potential rival politician, so she could not be assigned to do anything too productive (secretary of state).
  3. John Kerry: assigned to do productive work but totally incompetent (secretary of state).

Imagine former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates–who recently published Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War, in which he criticized Obama and his administration–seething. Certainly, he never would have gotten as far as he did if he hadn’t been an opportunist, but U.S. interests, not politics, was his duty. He knew that Americans were being sacrificed uselessly to make the situation “work.”

Gates feels that he has a personal responsibility to the American public. Obama and Clinton, on the other hand, are pure politicians, and for all they try, they cannot get rid of their “me-first” mindsets. In other words, Obama and Clinton don’t want to be rid of “how does it benefit me?” as their first priority, while Gates cannot get rid of that squeaky little voice asking “what about America’s interests?” as well as “what stupid thing will Vice President Joe Biden say next?”

Here we have to remind everyone that politicians have to deal with the future of politics, post-Obama. And those future careerists like Gates need to be quiet and disciplined, because they know that they cannot risk offending other political interests, from whom they might need future support.

Career officials need supporters, especially in order to rise up the ladder.

One day, as a fourteen year old, I was riding the bus in Washington, D.C. I overheard two men, who were obviously government officials, talking. One said, “These people are so stupid. They don’t know what they are doing. They all make the wrong decisions, but after all they and I will just go into retirement.”

Almost 50 years later, I still haven’t forgotten this.

Washington, D.C., is an endless game of thrones.  But for once it came to what may be more commonly called a perfect storm.  Gates was the one knight who had nothing to lose in publishing his memoirs, except reviews–which could only increase readership. On the one hand, he could have done the noble thing; on the other hand, he could have acted in his own interests. His interests and the public’s, however, were congruent.

Gates could see himself as finally achieving genuine, national self-interest, as a real protector. He wasn’t able to do any better, and it wasn’t his fault; it was fault of the American people for not electing a competent president.

For example, Gates knew that the Iraq policy around 2007-2008 was the best idea. He knew that Kerry, Obama, and Clinton opposed it for the wrong political reasons. He knew that he would lose his fight against them and would have to confine that to the loneliness of the voter’s box. Then he would have to support their decisions loyally.

Most people do not face such a situation, and it is very difficult. Men would die, U.S. interests would be abandoned, and terrorists would be strengthened while Gates had to listen to unpatriotic sentiments such as those from Joe Biden. He even wrote that he considered resigning due to Biden. “I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades,” Gates wrote in his memoirs.

Yes, everyone would consider resigning. But you can only resign once.

Notice the timeline.

He was deputy director of the CIA from 1986 to 1989.

He accepted the job of CIA director in November of 1991 and then permanently resigned in January 1993. He never returned to the CIA.

He became secretary of Defense in 2006 under George W. Bush. On December 1, 2008, President Obama announced that Gates would remain in his position as secretary of Defense during his administration, at least for the first year. When he retired in 2011, Gates said, “I think that it would be a mistake to wait until January 2012.… This is not the kind of job you want to fill in the spring of an election year.”

As a former civil servant, he may well have been correct to state it that way; let’s see, there’s Obama, Clinton, Kerry, Biden, and Harry Reid–how could they do more danger to U.S. interests? Most of the other senior foreign policy official experts would have said “duh.”  Under such serious circumstances, I think he was sending a signal. And frankly, almost everyone had heard the same thing privately from these officials.

They control the pot, the food, the kettle, and the instructions. So how are they cooked because one guy criticizes them, and pretty mildly, if you ask me.

Gates is going to be airbrushed out of history. He had his 15 minutes. It's over already.
Gates will be relegated to that special category for those who've dared criticize a Democrat administration, the "disgruntled former employee." There's start to be whiffs of competence issues, hints of ethical issues, maybe scandal hints; since he's a Republican they can even damage him with hints of an affair. And nobody who doesn't read conservative websites or watch FOX News will ever know a thing about Gates' allegations.
"Cooked" you say. "Cooked". Ah.

Has New York City ever, and I mean ever, had a better mayor than Rudy Giuliani? Oh, mayyyyybe one as good somewhere along the line, but better? More effective, more solutions oriented, more successful, leaving more a of a positive influence between taking and leaving office. Ever? And are there many who would honestly deny that, even his opponents?

And is there any element of Giuliani's governing philosophy that NYC voters did not categorically spit out, kick to the curb, and stomp on last November, all just to buy the poisonous snake-oil of divisive class-and-racial-warfare, peddled by a proud and committed socialist?

Oh, "cooked" are they?

I think you need to watch 'The Terminator' one more time.
"Gates feels that he has a personal responsibility to the American public."

Hogwash. If Gates really felt he had a responsibility to us he'd have spoken out long before now. He's just another pol who jumped off the Washington merry-go-round and is looking to make a buck.
Spoken to whom and said what? Much like politicians are politicians, bureaucrats are bureaucrats. The latter can often outlast the former, especially presidents. And there is no room at the inn for Cabinet Secretaries who publicly air grievances against their boss.
In a sane world where people are really accountable for their misdeeds would the likes of Hillary & O be "cooked," but alas, ours is not such but a home to the twisted logic of a corrupt gov't structure that leads a majority of dunderheads.
Teaser premise with no supporting argument, no conclusion made.
May I point out a misspelling in the title. You left the 'r' out of 'Crooked'.
This isn't a defense of Gates because I know first hand what it is like to quit over policy differences with an administration when you're in your late '40s, live in a capital city, and the only skills you have for work outside of government qualify you for a blue vest. But, it is offered as an explanation.

Even if you're an apolitical technocrat, one who doesn't even give money to candidates, and I assure you, everyone who is anyone in government knows who gives money to candidates - Hell, if somebody calls or emails with a question, the first thing you do is look up the campaign finance reports to see if they give money and who they give it to - if you've ever taken an appointed position in a Republican administration, to the Democrats, you're a Republican. Democrats will hire Republicans or let Republicans keep appointed jobs under very, very limited circumstances: Some people are more dangerous outside the tent peeing in than inside the tent peeing out, so they hire them or keep them to keep them in the tent; some people are perceived to be very good at what they do, so the political costs of just axing them for partisan purposes is too high, some Republicans have credibility in certain areas where Democrats are weak such as Defense at the federal level or labor relations and law enforcement at the state level, and there may be other reasons from time to time but that's about it. If you don't fall into one of those categories and you're a Republican, you can't work in a Democrat administration at any level of government and you can't work anywhere that the government has any influence over if you've gotten cross-threaded with a Democrat administration so long as they control the government. Having your name mentioned in a news story as a "disgruntled former employee" is only the first coat of slime you'll get from the Democrats and the media. And the really bad part is if you quit and especially if you quit in a huff and play kiss and tell, you have almost no place to go.

First, a lot of the things done by people high up in government enough to know or do anything useful are only done high up in government. If you're one of those people and you're suddenly not high up in government, you're a forty or fifty something looking for an entry level job. Second, if you get fired by Democrats or quit a Democrat administration and there's any stink at all to it, often the Republicans won't hire you either. In a sane world a Republican appointee disgusted with a Democrat administration would be able to simply resign and having made appropriate arrangements beforehand slide right in as either a consultant or a staffer to a Republican committee or a Republican member of Congress that can use your expertise to make that Democrat Administration's misery your mission. (That's what I did when I quit.) But, often Republicans don't want the controversy that usually surrounds a "disgruntled former employee" and they won't hire you because they're afraid of the conflict and controversy. And rest assured that if they do hire you, the slime machine goes to 100% power the second you're hired. My first contract with the Republican controlled Legislature after I quit the Executive Branch would have been lost in a rounding error in the budget of my old division, but that contract was front page above the fold! You'd have thought the evil Republicans had turned over the State Treasury for me for turning coat and playing kiss and tell, when I'd never worn a coat to turn; I was a non-appointee, non-political, merit system employee. I damned well wasn't non-political after that!

And, third, the Republicans have few places to put you. If you're a Democrat stay-behind or sleeper that leaks or sabotages a Republican or a Democrat that gets caught up in so much controversy the Democrat Administration has to shuck you, you don't lose a day's pay; you go straight to work for some Democrat front group. The Republicans don't have many think tanks and almost no purely political front groups, so they don't have a job to offer you. If you've caused any controversy, even the lobbying outfits don't want you unless you've really got some dirt to trade and once you go down that street you don't come back; the keys to long-term survival are to never trade in dirt and never owe anyone anything. If you have dirt that you sincerely believe must come out for the public good, first you're probably deceiving yourself that the public will give a damn, and second, you say your goodbyes and never expect to return to government.

I think Gates should have quit, but I'll guarantee you that book would never have been published if he had, at least not by any name brand publisher. If he'd quit and done a press release saying, "I don't work for people like these" and told why, the only people who'd know about it would be those who watch FOX. When I quit, I leaked some documents t
Well, I don't know what happened to the rest of it. Anyway:

I had gotten a copy of a very incriminating memo from a cabinet member to the Governor's COS. It wasn't my first rodeo so I was careful to keep myself able to truthfully say I didn't leak it, but suffice it to say I arranged the circumstance under which it was sure to be leaked and it was. That memo should have cost several people their jobs and maybe gotten a couple prosecuted. The McClatchey rag wrote one desultory, uninformative story about it and neither the AP nor any other outlet ever picked it up at all. I've seen stories above the fold for days for far less and I've seen cabinet officers fired over nothing simply because the media was having a feeding frenzy on them during Republican Administrations.

I had quit the Executive Branch and gotten a contract with the Legislature and then the slime machine ramped up. I made "disgruntled former employee" status immediately. Then the rumors started that I'd been forced out because I had incompetently represented the State in some labor arbitrations. Now that is the perfect example of how the Democrat slime machine can and will turn the truth on its head. Actually, I had very competently represented the State and won the arbitrations substantiating the discipline and dismissal of some of their union friends. The problem was they didn't have the guts to just settle the cases because it would have been too obviously a payoff to the unions, so they had bet on Art Chance, in class summa the time, losing to the union's Hahvud summa c*m laude attorney. I drove the "nice lady" crazy, strung out the hearing to make it more expensive, beat her like a rented mule, and the arbitrator sustained our actions and sent the union an astounding bill. We are one of the few collective bargaining states that have true loser pays arbitration, so being wrong is expensive. When I returned to the Executive Branch a few years later, I discovered that while we had copies of every labor arbitration going back to the beginnings in the early '70s, there was no record to be found of that one! I generously supplied a copy from my personal files.
Ditto please post the rest of your story
Boy, now you've left it a real cliffhanger.
Please Art. We'll be good and stay quiet while you finsih.
I'd be very interested in seeing the rest.

(I ask your forgiveness. I accidentally hit the "Abuse" button. I had to open a second browser as for some reason I can't use IE with this, and slipped the second time)
Try using Mozilla's Firefox; it's very similar to IE but much better than IE. JMO.
Barry, How is your health? Are you doing OK?

Keep up the good work.
As an Agenda Media story...Benghazi is Bigfoot, Fast and Furious is spurious, NSA is DOA, IRS taking the fifth is 86'd, and Gates are closed, locked and razor wired.

Comrade Obama and Czarina Hillalinsky are bubble wrapped and styrofoam peanut protected. Their sandals never are soiled by their scandals.
...and similarly, there's no way that Christie didn't personally insist on those lane closures to cause the traffic jams. After all, he is an evil Republican, not a saintly Democrat.
I am not that knowledgeable of Foreign Policy, but I consider the Attorney General to have had far more effect on the country than the Secretary of State. Eric Holder has had a more direct affect on the citizenry; resulting in unrest, aggravation and divisiveness by his failure to equitably enforce the laws under the jurisdiction of the Department of Justice. Therefore, I wish him to be cooked.
Gates feels he has a personal responsibility to the American public? Really? Is that why he waited until AFTER his career was over to inform us of just how rotten this administration was? No, Gates feels he has a responsibility to Gates and no one else. He published his book when he did because it was time for him to get that one, final cash in on his political career.
"Cooked"? "Other shoe to drop?"
Soros, MSM, voting machines, unions, registration fraud - - - LIV elected and then RE-ELECTED this bunch. Who has taken any real *action* to stop this swirlpool? Where are the Select Committees? Thanks Justice(?) Roberts. Would Gates' or other generals' resigning in profound protest have made a difference - unknown & unknowable? A group getting together and resigning en mass? The first, (needed?!), putsch in America?
Would we possibly be crawling up & out of this mess if Romney had been elected? A "great job, stay-at-homes & protest voters" pause for thought?
................
How about for every comment made, you cumulatively send donations to win capable, conservative U.S. Senate candidates? Remove the drones, the dangerous, the deranged, and the _ _ckless? Enable reidtard's being a sick, sad, historical footnote ...
......
Humorous cynicism break:
www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/general-mattis-crosses-potomac-100000-troops-president-senate-flee-city/
and, too apt, but too poignant for our times??
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feckless
Can you name names right away?
All so sad & so unnecessary

(show less)