Klavan On The Culture

What I Learned on the Trail

July 4th, 2014 - 6:02 am

shutterstock_79164844

I am a skilled hiker, but a week or so ago, I made a perilous error. Carelessly neglecting my clear and accurate guide, I mistook a side path for the main trail down the mountain. As I descended along the narrow track, the way became steeper and steeper until, abruptly, it ended at a sheer cliff above a long fall. Short on water, out of breath, weakened by the blistering heat, I looked up and saw my only other option was a dauntingly vertical climb back to the main trail above. My heart misgave me.

Then three words came into my mind unbidden:  Don’t be afraid.

I know who speaks those words to me. I said a quick prayer to him for courage and felt myself promptly flooded with the stuff. I began the climb, and though the way was very difficult, and even dangerous once or twice, I was surprised how quickly I found myself back on the main trail, the way home.

Our country has made a similar error, and equally perilous. We have carelessly neglected our clear and accurate guide to the governance of a free people. We have gone by another way into a steeper and steeper decline. Soon, we will reach a point where the only choice is between a catastrophic fall and a long, hard, upward journey. Our hearts may tell us the climb is impossible.

Don’t be afraid.

Klavan on the Culture wishes all PJ Media readers a wonderful Fourth of July.

So glad you found your back Andrew. I hope our country can do the same.
A very moving analogy Andrew. Hope it can come true.
You may be an Obama supporter, but are you really willing to support others who will be given your tax money to pay for their health insurance? Those Obamacare subsidies are your tax money. Your rates go up to support them and your annual deductible amount goes up, too. Obama is trying to delay this, but from then on FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE you will pay those higher rates and deductible costs. Since the Democrats all voted for it, they can’t be depended on to join the effort. It’s up to us to vote for Republicans to get enough people in office who want to repeal the law. This is for all government levels. Remember, it’s YOUR money, so vote your pocketbook. This situation is hardly different from your taxes being assigned to pay insurance for an illegal alien, and that will happen when Amnesty is the law. If you don’t believe that surprise is buried in Obamacare, see
http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2012/october/11/health-care-immigrants.aspx Also, medical taxes go up in 2014. See http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-taxes.php Join with us to our mutual benefit in the Primary elections and in November 2014.
'A Pilgrim's Progress' , though marred by reverses, remains worthwhile.
I find a steep climb up less daunting than a steep climb down, what with center-of-gravity and momentum factors. A cultural climb up might be a different matter.
Thank you — I, we needed that.
I heard a story like this, but it involved a pack of coyotes and the expenditure of some 40 caliber munitions.
The people this is meant for don't have the principles or tools of self-criticism to even recognize or care about such a thing.
Amazing column. Thank you !
Happy Fourth to you, to all the Readers and to all the Authors at PJM !

Brilliant.
Thanks, my friend. Same backatcha...!!!
So glad you found your back Andrew. I hope our country can do the same.
1 2 Next View All