Klavan On The Culture

New Year’s Wishes and Resolutions

December 31st, 2013 - 11:14 am

Politically, it is difficult to end 2013 on a high note. I’m not enough of a Leninist to rejoice in the practical destruction of the left’s programs when I know it means suffering for fellow citizens losing health insurance, earnings and freedom. There’s an old saying I made up: “When a man is going to shoot himself in the foot, make sure he’s not standing on your throat.” It’s hard to do this when the man is the president of the United States. I suppose, in the bitterness of one’s heart, one could say, well, we re-elected this clown, we have no one to blame for all this but ourselves. But an even older saying that I also made up is: “In a democracy, we get what they deserve.” That is to say, many didn’t vote for this, many didn’t know any better and many are foolish, scared, or unintelligent and don’t really deserve what Barack and his cronies are doing to their country whether they voted for him or not. Gentle soul that I am, I wouldn’t even wish leftism on a leftist.

But excelsior! A new year now begins. Let us hope the collapse of the administration’s agenda brings just enough pain to teach a new generation the benefits of small government, free markets and the American way. Let us hope Obama’s well-deserved and self-constructed humiliation is evident enough to remind his once-worshipful followers to put not their trust in princes. Let us hope that the right can avoid the circular firing squad and make inroads in both houses at the midterm election. Let us hope we can begin to turn the big ship of this great state around.

For myself, I spent much of this year buried in the writing of a new novel for adults. I think it’s the best I ever wrote and I hope to see it released in 2014. My new series for young adults should also begin publication this year. I have to finish writing that series, but I also plan to turn more attention to non-fiction writing in 2014. I’ve missed doing satirical videos and have wanted to find a new and exciting venue for them: I believe I have. There’s also a bigger non-fiction piece I want to do and I should have the proposal for that finished shortly. So, God willing, I look forward to a year of cool, new and original stuff to create.

My resolutions: seek truth, speak truth, hate no one, fear nothing. Also, eat well and work out a lot.

We’ll see how I do! Happy New Year from Klavan on the Culture.

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. …do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4

Am so glad you'll be doing your videos again. I have missed them. They make me laugh at things I usually feel like crying over. You make it easy to see how absurd these people are. God bless you and all the work you do.
To you Andrew, to all the magnificent authors and contributors to PJM and to all my cyberfriends here...my wish for you is a Happy, Healthy and Honorable life in our country.

May all your wishes and dreams come true for yourselves and your family.

And, may we live together in this land we have been gifted, free from tyranny and ever vigilant and resistant to totalitarianism.

I am proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with you all. Have a blessed year.
I would theorize that hoping for only enough pain for the current generation to realize the error of their ways is steeped in the knowledge that we all would be sharing in that pain. My sense is that the degree of lesson learned will have a direct relationship with the amount of pain felt.

Our post war economic boom of the 50's and beyond may well have been set up by wartime productivity but I'd wager that its longevity was made possible by the fact that the generation directly reaping its rewards had experienced the Great Depression and knew first hand what it was like to go without... and as well experienced the maximum expense with minimal returns of liberal policies under FDR's New Deal.

I confess that I'm with Mr. Klavan in hoping that the administration's policies brings just enough pain to prompt a correction from the newest generation- selfishly I do not want to live out my days with this whole process bottoming out, but for the best possible long term outcome I'm fearful that the newest crop of voters will need to feel the maximum pain for the lesson to resonate sufficiently to not only prompt a thorough house cleaning, but also keep that sustained.

The Obama regime has done a great deal more damage to the country that his all out assault on the economy and its middle class; with 226(?) confirmed judicial appointments, including two supreme court justices he has already reached well beyond his own tenure as malevolent dictator to affect life in whatever is left of the country once his successor takes his or her oath.

Breaking our collective addiction to mainstream "news" sources is key too. The newest generation needs to show an ability and willingness to see as other than factual the news and commentary coming from the alphabet soup media mouthpieces- ideally responding by shutting it all off.
Mr. Klavan and I share the same temporal goals. I wish I could share his hope for substantial political change. But 41% believe Obama is doing a good job. And 55% want to legalize marijuana. And about 25% have such defective intelligence that they cannot really understand the issues of the day.What percentage is the beneficiary of federal handouts? Such are already bought and paid for. What will those percentages be when tens of millions of illegals are welcomed by those who bought and paid for them with our tax monies? Ours is a culture of corruption; an amoral society and such cannot stand. To the extent that we fail to passionately embrace scriptural morality we fling ourselves into the freezing void of chaos, chance, a meaningless, subjective madness, unabated. Our choice.
Great news about the returning videos and the new adult novel.
Can't wait for them. And is there any word on the movie adaptation of the Weiss / Bishop detective series?
Sorry, this has to be said! How in the world is this an improvement in the economy when Congress is debating the 12th (yes, 12 times) extension of long term (that's 9 months) unemployment benefits? HUH? There's more, read on:
This is a complicit cadre of willing and enabling We The Elite People of Culture of Corruption in all of Washington DC. Here's proof:
U.S. PMI at 11-Month High
By Paul Ausick January 2, 2014 9:35 am EST (24/7 Wall Street) is this report:
The U.S. economy continued expanding in December, posting a purchasing managers index (PMI) reading of 55.0, above the November reading of 54.7 and the consensus estimate for 54.5. Readings above 50 indicate expansion, while those below indicate contraction. The December index is the highest in 11 months.
Markit Economics noted that output expanded at a faster rate in December, compared with November expansion, and that employment also expanded faster. The employment reading was especially encouraging, rising from 52.3 to 54.0. How much of that is due to seasonal hiring remains to be seen, but Markit said that among those it surveyed the business outlook is improving.(Pray tell, HOW?)
Yet, in the very same 24/7 Wall Street Report “top of the fold”(01/02/2014) is this report:
HP to Cut 34,000 as Prospects Falter -- Future Looks No Better (Folks, This is HP, tech industry cutting jobs)
Buried among pages of financial data, descriptions of risks and details about the Hewlett-Packard's divisions in its recently filed 10-K was the disclosure that the HP will cut 34,000 jobs. That is 5,000 more than it said it would early last year.
In conclusion, several sources for data from so-called “Big Business” are now complicit in supplying erroneous and misleading information for purposes of bolstering their financial positions (read: bottom line) and supporting this administrations socialist agenda for their:1)greed, 2)power and out-and-out 3)corruption.
Pray. Amen. We The People are fighting some very powerful and entrenched nefarious We The Elite People of culture of corruption in all of Washington DC. Join a Tea Party, urgently.
Andrew, Thanks for hitting all the essentials, for reminding us of all that’s good.

You are, in the old-fashioned sense, simply a brick, by which I mean just a rock-solid, stand-up kind of guy. So happy for your creative roll. I could read your joyful energy between the lines. (“Work is love made visible.” Yesss!)

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29, 11

God bless us, Every One!
thanks for the resolution and the quote -- as one of the 'awakened' it is easy to be consumed by 'the suck' and despair of the futility of what lies ahead. Your perspective is a soothing balm and I will strive to focus on the speaking truth, fearing nothing and beseeching our Lord for strength, humor and grace. God bless you in 2014, keep doing what you are doing, it is crucial.
HAPPY 2014 to all the Authors and the Readers !

Thank you for quoting Philippians...

May all your wishes and dreams come true for yourselves and your family.

I am proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with you all. Have a blessed year.
Happy New Year! Great resolutions, OK if I borrow a few?
" Let us hope Obama’s well-deserved and self-constructed humiliation is evident enough to remind his once-worshipful followers to put not their trust in princes."

If only it could be so. The way society is behaving these days, I fear they will only think that perhaps they picked the 'wrong' prince last time, and will simply choose a different one to worship next round. Or perhaps a princess. Look how excited the Republicans get every time they think they've found 'the one'. Rubio. Christie. Ryan. Each caused hyperventilating among the faithful, till their feet of clay were soon discovered.
No, I don't see anything changing anytime soon. I think it will get worse before it gets better.
Happy New Year, anyway.