Klavan On The Culture

Gay Squirrel!

June 26th, 2013 - 3:33 pm

If I could reach into the heart of humankind and pluck one flaw from its unknowable depths, it would be our seemingly irresistible desire to tell one another what to do. Think of the results! The Democratic Party would vanish in an instant. The federal budget would shrink to the size of a compact car payment. And all religions would be Christianity at its best. We could still continue to enjoy our pride, lust, greed and gluttony while feeling morally superior to our neighbors’ pride, lust, greed and gluttony. We just wouldn’t be able to do anything about it. It would be like — oh, I don’t know — like living in America again. Free country. To each his own. That’s what makes for horse races. And all that.

I’m not a lawyer and so will read what lawyers say for a few days before forming any opinion of the Supreme Court’s latest decisions on gay marriage. But as for the likely practical results of those decisions, I can tell you already: I don’t care. I believe the advent of no-fault divorce gutted marriage of any beneficent legal meaning, and so the government should simply get out of the business altogether and leave the whole thing to contract law and church ceremony.

As for the morality of it, God gives each of us one set of sexual apparatus and that, as far as I’m concerned, is His way of telling us to mind our own f—ing business. If it turns out these court decisions somehow abridge the right of Muslims to topple walls onto the heads of homosexuals, well, by golly, I will speak out stridently for freedom of religion. But if the only thing that happens is that gay people get to pledge to love and honor one another until a Muslim wall do them part, somehow I’m going to press on more or less unscathed. Hell, I’m an Episcopalian. In my church, if you sleep with a goat while taking communion during Lent, you get, like, a time out. We’re just not very strict about these things.

Still, I can’t help but feel that the real story, the big story, is that gay people, like black Americans before them, are being played for fools by what Andrew Breitbart used to call the Democrat-media complex. Surely, the all-Supreme-Court headlines should really read something like, “GDP shrinks to nothing due to the fact that government is overspending on entitlements while simultaneously spying on American citizens and abusing the power of taxation to suppress political speech at the same time the administration is mishandling world events so that the United States has become an impotent laughing stock whose ambassadors can be murdered at will while tyrants thrive…  oh, and by the way, the Supreme Court ruled…  something that will make very little difference to the overall state of the nation.”

Instead — so help me this is true — the New York Times ran a story on the dwindling GDP as if it was a good thing — because the stock market rose when investors decided the Fed wouldn’t stop printing fake money to pump into the economy after all, because the economy still stinks so…  whew, that was close! The Huffington Post said the crummy GDP was due to — wait for it — government austerity! Have the folks at HuffPo lost the capacity to blush? As for the IRS and Benghazi scandals — if you’re watching network news, there is, almost literally, nothing to see here. And you can pretty well bet the network news directors will make sure that the next few days will be all gay marriage all the time.

My point is that we are in the grips of a truly corrupt, abusive, incompetent, and philosophically unAmerican administration. If it were led by a white Republican, the media would be disassembling it brick by brick — and rightly so. But it is run by a black Democrat, so instead, reporters are lying, covering up, and shouting “Squirrel!” to distract us whenever the truth starts to emerge.

I understand how emotionally satisfying it must be to win court cases like this — I do. But gay Americans (who, after all, live in the same republic, the same economy, and the same world as straight Americans) ought to get hip to the fact that this time, they’re the squirrel.

"As for the morality of it, God gives each of us one set of sexual apparatus and that, as far as I’m concerned, is His way of telling us to mind our own f—ing business."

Andrew, you represent yourself as a Christian, but you don't appear to care what God thinks about marriage. After all, He established it, He may have some thoughts on the matter.

In my view (I would never try to tell you what to do) Christians should take on the "mind of Christ, " recognizing that His ways are higher than our ways. He knows stuff we don't, and the primary way He reveals Himself to us is through His Word. If we are indeed His followers, we need to study His Word, so that we can know God, who is love, and be able to act towards others in love. The point I am trying to make (though I would never, ever try and tell you what to do), is that a Christian's view of issues of sexuality should be based on careful study, reflection and prayer and not a casual observation of anatomical characteristics.

I disagree with you that the Supreme Court ruling is "something that will make very little difference to the overall state of the nation." I agree with artghost, that there will be unanticipated consequences. There always are when we try to live without acknowledging our creator.
“GDP shrinks to nothing due to the fact that government is overspending on entitlements while simultaneously spying on American citizens and abusing the power of taxation to suppress political speech at the same time the administration is mishandling world events so that the United States has become an impotent laughing stock whose ambassadors can be murdered at will while tyrants thrive… oh, and by the way,...”

Andrew, on this issue, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. Gay marriage is not the distracting squirrel, but is in fact part and parcel with all of the above listed problems. All of the things you listed, and more, are all symptoms of the same cultural phenomena; that is, a society/cultural that no longer cares about its future.

No children, no future society. David Goldman, aka Spengler, has covered this point well. A society/culture that supports the traditional family unit, protects its women, and its members worry about the long-term affects their decisions today will have on their kids and grandkids tomorrow; these are the hallmarks of a society/culture that cares about its future.

A society/culture that puts women in the front lines of the military, that encourages and enables easy abortions, that via welfare state, causes the disintegration of the traditional family, that supports rampant federal spending that leaves future generations of its youth bankrupt, that has, via no-fault divorce laws enabled the collapse of the traditional concept of marriage, and the list goes on…; these are all symptoms of a society/culture that is only living for today and no longer cares about the future it is leaving its young people. In this world of self-absorption and “live for today” attitudes, gay marriage makes perfect sense.
The problem is, no leftist pressure group is ever satisfied. Any day now, I expect a lawsuit against some church because they refuse to marry a gay couple. Or the lawsuit asking why heterosexuals are preferred as adoptive parents. And I give Moslems a month before they are suing to legalize polygamy, which after all is a tenet of their religious belief.
Christians:
Are we here to make a point, or are we here to make a difference?

Who are you following?
Absolutely: no matter what your gender, homosexual, bisexual, polyamorist, pedophile (freekate), the government should get out of the marriage business and not force anyone to recognize in word, thought, or deed any marriage of two, three or more beings.
The fact that nature itself reveals that our sexual apparatus is designed for males to have sex with females, and nature has made such a method for procreation and that males and females are anatomically complementary, which males on males or females on females are not, takes precedence over the state or church. What you are saying is that marriage or sexual unions should be determined by the state and not by nature. That is the opposite of a libertarian argument. I will agree with you that the Episcopal church does not base its teachings on neither Scripture nor tradition nor nature. It is a denomination that stands for nothing and fall for everything.
Ver du u keep goats? (or squirrels?)
Pay attention..........................In a statement that should come as a shock to exactly nobody who understands the real agenda behind gay marriage, lesbian author, journalist and gay rights activist Masha Gessen lays out the real plan behind the push for “marriage equality” (emphasis added):

“It’s a no-brainer that (homosexual activists) should have the right to marry, but I also think equally that it’s a no-brainer that the institution of marriage should not exist.…(F)ighting for gay marriage generally involves lying about what we are going to do with marriage when we get there — because we lie that the institution of marriage is not going to change, and that is a lie.

The institution of marriage is going to change, and it should change. And again, I don’t think it should exist. And I don’t like taking part in creating fictions about my life. That’s sort of not what I had in mind when I came out thirty years ago.

I have three kids who have five parents, more or less, and I don’t see why they shouldn’t have five parents legally… I met my new partner, and she had just had a baby, and that baby’s biological father is my brother, and my daughter’s biological father is a man who lives in Russia, and my adopted son also considers him his father. So the five parents break down into two groups of three… And really, I would like to live in a legal system that is capable of reflecting that reality, and I don’t think that’s compatible with the institution of marriage.”
"gay squirrel"? Google that and you find that seemingly "squirrel" is code for "gay". Was that intentional? Funny either way!
" I believe the advent of no-fault divorce gutted marriage of any beneficent legal meaning..."

Mr. Klaven:

Was no-fault the cause or was it a sensible reaction to already rising divorce rates?
I'm a conservative Evangelical and there are two reasons why gay marriage doesn't bother me: 1) it affects very few people. I don't now what percentage of the nation is homosexual, but it can't be more than, say, 5% or Fifteen-plus million. The rest of us 340 million or so are breeders. Of that fifteen million, how many are going to get married? I don't know, but it isn't very many, relatively speaking.

Klavan's right, let them get married. It doesn't change my life one bit. We're confusing what a state or federal government says marriage is, with what a marriage actually is, from the biblical viewpoint.

The whole thing is a little like king Canute trying to stop the tide. The tide will come in, despite what a human sovereign says. Marriage is between a man and a woman, no matter what the government says. And if gay people want to get married and our laws allow that, hey fine. Survivor's benefits are important to everyone who has lost a spouse.

Finnaly, what's the NT say: "Make it your ambition to work quietly with your hands and mind your own business."
Mr Klavan is either joking or being far too modest about his intellectual capabilities. One does not need to be a lawyer to understand the meaning of court decisions or evaluate the effect of those decisions.
The US Constitution is deliberately a brief document written to mean what it says. The powers of the government are limited and enumerated. The sovereign power of the state resides with the people, despite the pronouncements of pompous asses like Lindsey Graham (speaking of squirrels…) Lawyers, politicians, and the courts have essentially rewritten the constitution into a complex morass of largely self contradictory and unintelligible gibberish that can be interpreted any way the ruling regime likes. But, lucky us, we have lawyers, judges, and politicians to tell us what it means.
It doesn’t matter which side of the gay marriage issue one stands on; the federal government should not be taking sides in an issue that is none of the government’s business. Mr. Klavan is absolutely correct that: “…the government should simply get out of the business altogether and leave the whole thing to contract law and church ceremony.”
Using gays as squirrels is an amusing concept. Oh, you meant distraction...
Andrew,

I miss your videos. They are great. You should do more of them.
1 2 3 Next View All