VodkaPundit

Robin Remembered

August 13th, 2014 - 5:08 pm

Just like you, I first saw Williams on Happy Days as Mork.

After I got older and was diagnosed with a mild form of Bi-polar disorder, I started seeing that same sort of manic within him. I don't know if he had it or not (some drugs, like methamphetamine, induce or exacerbate behavior that is similar), but I do know the danger it represents. I wasn't surprised at his suicide, but I am heartbroken.
Bill's comment about Robin Williams interrupting the other comedians' acts is spot on.

I have a cousin and an uncle who are like him. When Williams became well-known, all of our family members would say he was just like the cousin and uncle. But, the cousin and uncle were selfish, sucked the life out of every conversation because if the limelight began to inch away they would grab a staple gun and secure that limelight firmly to the floor, right around where they were sitting. It was exhausting. I was in awe of them when I was young, but that turned into disgust when I was older and saw how empty they seemed, unless they soaking up the adulation. They refused to grow up, but not in a nice way.

I always wondered if Williams was like that in person, but I don't spend much time reading People magazine so I didn't know much about his personal life, except for the divorces and the observation that "cocaine is God's way of telling you you're making too much money".

When I heard that quote, I knew I didn't want to know more about him, because people with talent who ruin it with drugs disappoint me. I spent years learning to play the piano, but some people pass me by with scant effort because they have more talent. I think talent like that is a gift from God and should be respected. To foul it up with drugs is a blasphemy. I wanted to just enjoy his work, so knowing less about him was my choice.

But I am glad to learn of his selflessness in his entertaining the troops. I have read that there are many good charities that he supported and I am glad he did. I'm glad to learn that he was a nice and unassuming neighbor.

In the days before his death I found The Fisher King streaming on Netflix and watched it several times. I'd seen it years ago and thought it was a wonderful movie. It was a shock after enjoying those terrific performances again, to realize I'd never see another great performance by Robin Williams.

I wish someone or something had been able to fill the hole in him that could not be filled.
I wanted to break in during Bill's bit to tell him he should have mentioned The Fisher King, but there was never a good moment. After we were done taping, I mentioned it -- and Bill said he'd never actually seen that one. I think it's the best work Williams and Jeff Bridges ever did, and Terry Gilliam's second best after Brazil.

Amazing flick, and it's lovely to see a reader mention it first.
I'm glad you know this film. I think there are five stellar performances in it - Ruehl and Jeter - Amanda Plummer is perfect too, in her imperfection. Watching Williams and Bridges in the hospital, when Williams is catatonic, is astounding.

I think Williams was wonderful in Awakenings, too. But The Fisher King is something all it's own. I'm glad you agree.