VodkaPundit

The Minnesota Massacre That Didn’t Happen

May 2nd, 2014 - 1:45 pm

Good lord:

A rural Minnesota community is reeling in the wake of a foiled plot by a local teen to bomb his high school and shoot students and teachers as they ran for cover.

John LaDue, 17, was hit with a stack of felony charges, including attempted murder and bomb possession, for the failed plan during which he sought to spill the blood of “as many students as he could,” authorities said.

During a press conference Thursday, Waseca Police Capt. Kris Markeson said LaDue was “fully prepared” to carry out the massacre at Waseca Junior and Senior High School and had amassed an arsenal of bombs, assault rifles, handguns and ammo, the Mankato Free Press reported.

A notebook detailing the plan showed how the wannabe mass-murderer planned to first kill his parents and then start a fire in a rural area outside of town to distract first responders.

Here’s how they caught him:

Officers nabbed the unhinged 11th-grader Tuesday after a tipster reported seeing LaDue skulking in and out of a storage unit where he kept many of his materials.

The caller, Chelsie Schellhas, told the Star-Tribune she was washing dishes in her kitchen when she spotted the teen lugging a backpack through her backyard headed toward the storage facility.

“He walked through the puddles when there was a perfectly good road he could have walked on,” she told the newspaper.

“It just didn’t seem right to me because we see people come and go with their trucks, and they don’t come on foot and cut through people’s back yards. It was like he was blatantly trying not to be seen.”

Schellhas said she called the cops after LaDue took a long time opening the unit, leading her to believe he was breaking in.

Billions on a bloated Homeland Security apparatus and widespread NSA surveillance and once again we see that when these things get stopped, it comes down to regular citizens keeping their eyes open.
The thinking is, only crazy people own a gun, so you must be SUPER crazy to own more than one.

Having lived in both small towns and big cities, I can say quite confidently that the difference in crime rates between the two is largely due to nosy neighbors.
Maybe we should all inform on each other.
I hope that this boys parents are charged as co defendants. He is too young to legally buy firearms. His having a gun safe in his room shows that his parents were aware of his having firearms so they had a responsibility to be aware of what he was doing with them. That he not only had unsupervised access to so many firearms, but also explosives leads me to believe that they were not being responsible parents. Only chance prevented this from being a greater tragedy.
When will we find out he was on Ritalin?
Or some cocktail of various psychotropic drugs.

Not that these caused him to be crazy, only that they aren't actually all that good at keeping the crazy at bay.

Nutters need to be locked in padded cells, not treated "in the community."
I have a legal question about "attempted murder." At what point did this become attempted? There is a difference, it seems to me, between plotting and making a bomb and actually attempting the murder. Perhaps the statute is so broad that it covers not only setting a bomb in a public place but also obtaining a bomb you are thinking about setting out later. But lumping together plotting and attempting seems like a bad idea to me.

And, 11 weeks later, the judge in the case weighs in:

"Judge Gerald Wolf dismissed all four charges of attempted premeditated murder against LaDue, as well as two charges of attempted first-degree damage to property, noting that the state “failed to show that [LaDue] made a substantial step … toward the commission” of the crimes."

54 attacks and attempts since 2010, only two were 'stopped' by dhs and they were undercover stings to begin with.
Homeland job security, more like
We have a golden opportunity here.

Can we make an example of this kid? I don't mean sending him to jail for the next million years... I mean ridiculing him, so that others will hesitate before following his example.

Yes, he's no doubt mentally disturbed. But we should have no patience with, nor sympathy for, people who have intent and ability to "kill as many as they can". Nor should we be spreading their names everywhere and giving them the attention they tried to get by killing people.

I fear the press will do that anyway, because that's what they do. I hope I'm wrong. The best thing they could do now is to report the story but omit his name, and avoid any attempt by the Talking Heads to 'understand' him or 'reach out' to him.
Hmm, I do notice the press hasn't started using the dreaded full 3 names yet. Maybe its in the playbook that only if they succeed can that be used.
I wish the media would follow up on jailed mass murderers to show how life turned out for them. Why stop coverage with them as the center of attention?
Based on my experience, walking through puddles when there's a perfectly good road available is one of the things an 11th grade boy does best. Ditto for cutting through back yards.

I'm so glad he was stopped! The "evidence" cited in the article is just laughably innocuous. I'm with Vodkapundit, there must have been other warning signs, signs that may have been more difficult to put into print.
No offense, but I think you're confusing an 11 year old boy with an 11th grader.

But yes, there probably were other warning signs although apparently the dish-washing neighbor was the only one bright enough to pick up on them.
Well...I'm 46 and while it would seem too creepy for me to be skulking through people's back yards, I do still like to walk through puddles from time to time. Just sayin'....
The problem is, most warning signs are fairly innocuous until you look at them in retrospect. Lots of people do silly stuff, very few shoot up schools. Ignoring most warning signs is eminently sensible.
Exactly right. The fearmongers' goal has been the same for decades-- turn otherwise normal behavior they don't approve of into parts-crapping hysteria.

Not that long ago, teenage boys walking down the road with a rifle slung over their shoulder was entirely normal. Of course, those boys had parents who bothered to do their job and some degree of morality and discipline in their lives.
Crap ... in the early 60s our high school (in *Connecticut*) had a rifle team and a rifle range. Lots of us would bring our rifles to school on the bus, with no more trouble than showing the driver the bolt had been removed.

In my experience the only normal kid behavior being stigmatized these days is that of BOYS. Back in 5th Grade (late '50s) I had a great little business buying strings of 100 "Lady Finger" firecrackers for a buck, unweaving them and selling the individuals for a dime each. When eventually caught (by my *male* teacher) I was congratulated on my entrepreneurship and simply asked not to do it at school any more, because if caught again my parents would have to hear about it.

"I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess what Schellhas saw wasn’t the only clue or warning sign."

B-I-N-G-O...and bingo was his name.

In nearly every instance similar to this, folks who cared to pay attention could see the "crazy-waves" emanating from the subjects skull. The article in the Mpls. Star/Tribune mentioned he would spend hours throwing a knife or hatchet at a tree in their yard. Daily.

This will be spun by the Libtards in an anti-firearms fashion, naturally. When in fact this is yet another instance of untreated and ignored mental health issues.
"The article in the Mpls. Star/Tribune mentioned he would spend hours throwing a knife or hatchet at a tree in their yard. Daily."

Hell, I did that and I haven't murdered anybody.
Yet.
Neither have I.

Although we'd both be in trouble with the green freaks if we still did it (and probably more than if we were throwing at a human target).
With the green freaks, you'd probably be in less trouble throwing that knife at a human target that at a pwecious twee.
I do have a problem with treating 'arsenals' as making people more dangerous, though: how many guns can you shoot at once?

Guns are not like wives. More is always better.

More than more is even better than better.

But quality counts, too. More better guns is better than more guns.

You call that, "thinking"?
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “The Minnesota Massacre That Didn’t Happen”