VodkaPundit

Perry Parries President’s Presumptions

March 10th, 2014 - 8:16 am

Here’s the transcript from BizPacReview:

“I was a bit troubled today by the tone of the president,” he began, speaking at the Republican Governors Association Feb. 24.

Perry was describing a meeting at the White House earlier that day between several governors and President Obama.

“When you have governors, and we all compete against each other — we are the laboratories of innovation — and for the President of the United States to look Democrat and Republican governors in the eye and say, ‘I do not trust you to make decisions in your state about issues of education, about transportation infrastructure,’ — and that is really troubling,” he said.

Perry expressed his own fears regarding Environmental Protection Agency restrictions choking off America’s energy production and a possible reduction in his state’s national guard.

“As a matter of fact, he [Obama] said at that meeting, he said, ‘If I hear any of you pushing back, making statements about Washington spends too much money, you’ll hear from me,” he said, adding, “I’m highly offended by that.”

After his comically disastrous presidential campaign in 2012, Perry needed to get serious and stopping running for, as I described it then, “Governor of America.” He’s since switched to wearing glasses and added something of a wonky streak to his persona.

The focus is on Rand Paul and Chris Christie and a few others, but don’t yet count Perry out for 2016.

"‘If I hear any of you pushing back, making statements about Washington spends too much money, you’ll hear from me"

These are the words of a man not used to being challenged, who is therefore comfortable saying "don't you dare challenge me". (It's also rather ironic, coming from a man who repeatedly said "If you like your health-care plan, you can keep your health-care plan". He can lie about others however he wants, but others can't tell the truth about him, huh?)

Were he not President, the appropriate response would be a two-word seven-letter phrase, beginning with F and ending with U. Respect for the office of the President effectively silences that response.

I would hope that one of the Governors saw fit to say something like: "But Mr. President, it happens to be true -- Washington IS spending too much money. And with all due respect, I have the First Amendment at my back, and I'll say what I think needs to be said."
I love onomatopoeia. Now for Rick Perry; good guy, solid governor, savvy business mind, fine 2nd amendment credentials, but..........not ready for prime time.

It's da**ed frightening that the president feels comfortable making this statement in front of a bipartisan group of governors. It's way beyond impolitic--it's coercive. More and more, they act as though they're confident they will never face any sort of accountability for their actions. As though they'll never be out of power.

Do they really believe this? Or are they just mind-bogglingly incompetent at politics?
How many Americans dig into their pockets and donate money to overseas orphans, Mexican parishes, local parishes that are educating illegal aliens, etc? In the millions?

Rick Perry said that if you don't want your taxes spent on educating DREAMers, you're "heartless."

The man is fundamentally stupid, in a way that George Bush was. (Include creationism in science classes!?) I won't vote for him in the primary, and if he gets nominated I hope he has the sense to find his Cheney--someone uglier, smarter, stronger, and more conservative than he is.
There are other candidates I'd prefer over Perry on a pure ideological basis, but if Perry can polish his public speaking and debate performance he'd easily be the best choice for GOP Nominee in 2016.
Perry has executive experience. And he's pro Second Amendment. That puts him in the lead for me.

That's deeply troubling. It's something an autocrat would say.