VodkaPundit

Childhood Obesity Plunges

February 26th, 2014 - 5:14 am

Great news, if true:

Federal health authorities on Tuesday reported a 43 percent drop in the obesity rate among 2- to 5-year-old children over the past decade, the first broad decline in an epidemic that often leads to lifelong struggles with weight and higher risks for cancer, heart disease and stroke.

The drop emerged from a major federal health survey that experts say is the gold standard for evidence on what Americans weigh. The trend came as a welcome surprise to researchers. New evidence has shown that obesity takes hold young: Children who are overweight or obese at 3 to 5 years old are five times as likely to be overweight or obese as adults.

I say “if true” because when it comes to government numbers, you have to look at them skeptically. We know that BMI is a pretty bad measure — have they improved it? Are we seeing fewer obese children, or simply better measurements? Are state and local governments fudging the numbers to get more aid? Are kids eating healthier and getting more exercise?

I hope it’s the last one, but the story never makes it clear.

Michelle O will claim credits. Her husband and Joe Biden claimed credits for the Iraq win before they messed it up. So MO will take credits for the drop of childhood obesity.
Given the lies of this regime, I have to wonder if children even exist.
Alternative explanation: those outside the privileged class have less money to spend on regular food, much less junk food these days.
Maybe they are counting the obesity numbers like the unemployment rate. Kids that have "given up" eating healthy and exercising aren't counted...
As someone who has been on both sides of obesity, there are a few things that make me want to get on my soapbox.

First, obesity is NOT an epidemic. I quit smoking last year and now I'm obese again. If obesity was an epidemic I could give you obesity. Maybe by touching you. Maybe just by breathing the same air as you. The point is that although there is a lot more obesity compared to a generation ago, epidemic is the wrong word. Everyone please stop using it.

Second, BMI is a terrible way to determine obesity. When The Rock was a champion wrestler he weighed 260 lbs and stood about 6 foot 3 inches. That made him morbidly obese in spite of the fact that he had about four percent body fat.

I will continue to rant about this even when the only part of me that is still fat is my mouth.
But Hb Leftist, If obesity is an epidemic, ie disease, then I don't have to take any responsibility either for my state or rectifying it. Its just something that happens to people. Like brain clouds.

Plus, since it's a disease, it falls under the responsibility of HHS, CDC and so on. Thereby allowing them to justify next year's budget increase. And better yet, allows them to exert power over other people..
As someone whose weight has gone as high as 310 lbs and as low as 147 lbs as an adult (it should be about 170), I can tell you that I have always taken responsibility. When I was big it was because I ate too much. When my weight was down it was because I was serious about doing something about it. Even a lefty like me accepts personal responsibility sometimes.

But just one more rant.
Some people think it's all the fast-food industry's fault. They especially blame McDonald's I guess because its the biggest. But I've gained the most weight when I was eating at home. I make a better burger than any fast-food joint. It is not the fast-food industry's fault that people demand fattening food and huge portions.

Oh, and that goes double for high-fructose corn syrup.

See, I may be left of Obama, but I can still think for myself.
HBL,

It probably wasn't the home-cooked burger that did you in. I'd look at the Coke and fries you had with it. Or perhaps you also bake a mean cake?
No fries, no cake.

But Coke by the gallon and I can make a dozen pies that would all win blue ribbons in a single afternoon.

I can also eat them all in a single evening.
Skeptically? There really has to be a better word for expecting them to lie their @$$es off to achieve their goals.