VodkaPundit

U-G-L-Y You Ain’t Got No Alibi

September 5th, 2013 - 5:33 am

It was one of those headlines to make you wince:

Header

GearNot the subhead, which is Truth with a capital T — at least to us folks who just don’t get the whole Gear/iWatch/Smartwatch thing. Rather the main headline, since there doesn’t seem to be any immediate threat to Samsung in mobile. In fact, the worry at Google is that Samsung will “fork” Android, as Amazon has done with Kindle, and leave Google out in the cold.

But then I saw the photo of the new Gear smartwatch thing.

And I flashed on that episode of Friends where Joey starts making money for the first time after landing a soap opera gig, and buys Chandler a hideous gold bracelet. Chandler describes it, if memory serves, as something from the Mr. T House of Crap. And that’s when I realized there is indeed a threat to Samsung’s dominance.

And the call is coming from inside the house.

I pity the fool who approved that design.

I'll be interested when they come out with a watch style form that doesn't need to be paired with a phone. Til then I'll make do with an ordinary watch.

It only works when paired with the Galaxy Note 3 phablet. I suppose that makes a certain amount of sense--who really wants to pull that thing out of their pocket to answer the phone?

I think both the watch and the phablet are fat and ugly, but "fat and ugly" defines an awful lot of the watches, shoes, and jewelery I see in the more fashionable quarters. So maybe it'll sell.

Personally, I'd consider a much thinner version that pairs with a 7" or 10" tablet. Better be waterproof and shock-resistant, though.
I believe the word you are looking for is "fugly." :)

Still don't see the point of the bloody thing. If you want hands-off access, get an iPhone with a bluetooth headset, then use Siri.

...At least, from what I've heard, Siri is supposed to do things like set appointments and such.

Yes, because spending 30 seconds listening to Siri get confused is so much better than just quickly glancing at the screen.
Hey, it's the Dick Tracy two-way wrist t.v.

Now where's my flying car?
I hate wearing watches. I want an interactive hologram projected in the space in front of me that I can control with my hands or eyes.
Design that wouldn't be out of place at Casio in the 70s.

Proof enough that nobody does Apple industrial design but Apple.