VodkaPundit

Microsoft’s Worst Ad Ever

July 20th, 2013 - 11:41 am

The desperation, it reeks:

Despite a $900 million write-down against its quarterly earnings for excess Surface RT inventory, or more precisely because of it, Microsoft launched a new ad to promote the hybrid tablet/laptop at a $150 discount from its original $499 price.

The 32GB $349 unit is compared to a 32GB $599 iPad in the ad, with an Apple Siri-like voice, representing the iPad, saying, “I’m sorry, I don’t have a USB port…This is not going to end well for me,” and concluding with the question, “Do you still think I’m pretty?”

Consumers and IT departments thought the Surface was so pretty, Microsoft hasn’t been able to sell the pitiful few they had manufactured.

Here’s the whole ad, but I caution it will make you stupider.

It lacks the hipster panache of the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads, but it's not all that different in concept. So, sure, it's derivative, but I wouldn't call it awful.
Microsoft's product placement on TV shows this past season was getting ridiculous as well. I got sick of seeing the kickstand deployment and keyboard snap-on in episode after episode. Hawaii Five-0 in particular seemed to be one long MS commercial.
I'm not sure they'll get far trying to take advantage of all that pent-up frustration over the limitations of the iPad, but I can see it being effective if it's the first part of a series of ads that deal with real issues like comparable performance.
That would be like Toyota running ads trying to convince people of the sporting pedigree of the Prius; just about the most galactically stupid thing anyone could do.

... which is why I'm pretty sure they'll do just that.
In all fairness, I have to say that my mother drives a Prius. She knows it isn't financially sound, but she hates the oil sheiks who are using their money to finance blowing up kids and our soldiers. She won't send them a dime she doesn't have to.
three and one half minutes of Jeremy Clarkson having absolutely nothing good to say about the Prius:

final words "And after all that, it turns out it isn't even bullet proof". And it obviously wasn't.
Just as dumb as the break-dancing Asian businesmen ad.

Microsoft's marketing people need to be taken in the alley and shot. Of course, taking Balmer with them would be even better.
I'm not sure the annoying Apple voice is well-known enough to carry the ad, but otherwise it seems reasonable enough. It's not going to actually sell Surfaces, but then what would?