VodkaPundit

And Did You Hear What the Gays are Doing to the Soil?

April 1st, 2013 - 12:11 pm

It’s not even lunchtime here at Casa Verde, but I’m already willing to bet this is the dumbest thing you’ll read all day — maybe all week:

Sue Everhart, the chairwoman of the Georgia Republican Party, said in a story posted over the weekend that straight people might abuse gay marriage laws in order to get marital benefits.

“You may be as straight as an arrow, and you may have a friend that is as straight as an arrow,” Everhart told the Marietta Daily Journal. “Say you had a great job with the government where you had this wonderful health plan. I mean, what would prohibit you from saying that you’re gay, and y’all get married and still live as separate, but you get all the benefits? I just see so much abuse in this it’s unreal.”

Everhart added: “There is no way that this is about equality. To me, it’s all about a free ride.”

It’d be like spending three years in law school, just to avoid getting eaten by sharks.

Hey, GOP — if you don’t want to be the Stupid Party, stop acting like it.

Better idea: Since this is apparently all about love and feewings and fairness under the law, lets just abolish marriage benefits for everyone.

Want to pass stuff on? Set up a trust. Want cheap health care? Don't worry, that won't exist in a few years anyway. Everything else can be handled via a power of attorney.
She certainly didn’t speak eloquently, but there’s a nugget of truth in there.

My father and I were just talking about this yesterday after Easter lunch.

If he and my mother divorce, and I and my wife do too, then my wife can marry my mother and I can marry my father.

It would be a great way to pass along their pension and social security benefits, and it could save a bundle in inheritance taxes.

We certainly love each other, and that’s what matters, right?
I don't think there are any laws against incestuous gay marriage yet. I recommend you jump on it before there are, that way you can be "Grandfathered" in. snicker...

Yes, love is all that counts. I don't think anyone would try to forcibly annul your marriage due to lack of consummation. It would certainly be tough to prove. Especially while you and your dad were laughing so hard.

As another option, you get your divorces, and you marry your mother, and you ex wife marries your father. With your mom going by her maiden name, nobody would raise an eyebrow, and she gets to reacquire the name she's lived under for most of her life.

May I be the first to congratulate the four of you on your future happy lives together.
Hey, why can’t incestuous same sex couples have the same rights as other same sex couples?

In the past, incestuous marriages were outlawed because of religious reasons, and the potential for weird genetic outcomes. But both of those arguments are now taken off the table by the current same sex marriage debate.

In theory, two women might someday be able to reproduce without the benefit of a male. But not yet, and that option is completely off the table for males. So there is no genetic argument against it. Only the “eeeew” and religious arguments remain. And that’s just backwards thinking and discrimination, right?

This would be a great way to combat the leftist inheritance tax push. I can’t wait to see them twist their logic on this one.
Dumbest thing I read all week, outside of the NY Times, WaPo, Newsweek and some washed up Hollywood actor/comedian?

What's the early odds on this one, Stephen?

Because WaPo's "white guys commit all the gun crimes, therefore should have no say in the solution" would be an early contender.
Non-gay people do this all the time. It's OK for a guy and girl to get 'married' so one of them can get cheap healthcare thru the other's employer and get the presumable tax benefit, but not OK for two guys to BS the system? Or are we supposed to pretend that the former doesn't happen on a rather large scale?
Look at the soil around Des Moines, Stuart.
You can't build on it; you can't grow anything in it. The government
says it's due to poor farming. But I know what's really going on,
Stuart.
"people might abuse gay marriage laws in order to get marital benefits"

Isn't that the basic premise of both Bosom Buddies and Three's Company?

Now that's the best argument against gay marriage I've heard yet.
The current marriage laws are abused ibn just this fashion, with straights marrying their gay friends, so those gays can get benefits. How would this be any different, other than the people getting married? It's a trivial concern born of ignorance of what is actually happening. Sounds like she read something on a blog somewhere and ran with it, a la Akin.

I oppose gay marriage, and here I am shooting down an argument against it. I shouldn't be having to do this, geez.
"Boneheaded yammering" has always been bipartisan.
"I’m already willing to bet this is the dumbest thing you’ll read all day — maybe all week:"

So Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is taking a vow of silence for the week?
Debbie taking a vow of silence would mean nothing. She's Democrat, all her vows have expiration dates of "when no longer convienent"
I would be so happy.