The PJ Tatler

D.C. Lobbyist Seeks to Ban Gays from NFL, Southern Baptist Leader Objects

We Jesus freaks have little difficulty parsing the world in which we live.

Scott Ott

May 9, 2014 - 8:59 am

At first blush, this looks like the classic man-bites-dog story.

A Washington lobbyist leads an NFL boycott against teams that draft avowedly homosexual players, but a Southern Baptist leader rebukes him. Jack Burkman (whose last name, oddly enough, has more than three letters and doesn’t start with “A”) is on a one-man campaign he claims is a nationwide movement, to punish teams that draft openly gay players. Enter the presumed baptist bumpkin bigot, who says…

“I’m adamantly opposed to such efforts,” said Dr. Richard Land, president of the Southern Evangelical Seminary in Charlotte, North Carolina, and former president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission who is also the executive editor of [Christian Post]. “A person’s sexual preference should not be an impediment to their livelihood in the sports industry.

“I think it’s unwarranted, unjustified and unfair to try to intimidate NFL teams from drafting someone because of their sexual orientation.”

Were you surprised?

I wasn’t. Having been a Southern Baptist for a decade or so, I can tell you that Land’s comments aren’t peculiar in the church, even as evangelicals acknowledge what the Bible frankly says about homosexual behavior.

Land’s remarks only sound surprising if you have a caricature of evangelicals cultivated by the media. That’s not to say that haters don’t gotta hate, even in the church. But, in general, we Jesus freaks have little difficulty parsing the world in which we live, where we can recognize sin for what it is, and also love the sinner, who, after all, is just like me.

The guy who wrote the biggest chunk of the New Testament called himself chief of the sinners. Unlike NFL draft picks, there’s no hierarchy of sin. Sin is rebellion against God, missing the mark of God’s holiness, and we all do it. That’s why we needed forgiveness from Jesus, the savior. So a Christian who looks down on sinners is really an oxymoron, or a parody, or a Washington lobbyist who’s found a way to get some facetime.

Burkman and Land have provided a point-counterpoint. Which do you think the media will attribute to the general evangelical populace?

Scott Ott co-hosts a news, commentary and humor show called Trifecta on PJTV. He created and hosted the 20-part series on the Constitution titled Freedom's Charter. His satire site, ScrappleFace, spawned three books and praise from Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin and many others.

Get real. See who says what. Yes, scripture says gay lifestyle is wrong, but I do not see anything about hating the sinner. Yeah, I know Westboro wants to hate and so do a lot of others . . . but WE are not instructed to hate. We are instructed to Love. Public condemnation equals hate.
The "popular kids" today are Muslims, who imprison women in their own homes, perform FGM on young girls, hate dogs & kill gays...but the Left thinks this is better than Christian "tolerance".
Being raised Southern Baptist, I can attest to the marginalization and ridicule of Baptists by our secular media - the media possibly some of the dumbest people on earth, and certainly with respect to Christianity, without merit in opinion. To the godless media, we are all Fred Phelps, even when we Protestants have been the loudest to condemn Phelps. Baptist trumps Phelps in the Jesus' hater's minds.

I don't know this man leading the boycott. But anyone Southern Baptist will recognize the name of Richard Land. I guarantee you right now Scott, Richard Land's name will not be made mention when it is reported and this yahoo will be characterized as all too typical.

I could make a very strong case if one truly understands the word "tolerance" and doesn't confuse it with the word "acceptance", most Christians are some of the most tolerant people on earth. I would think this country would aptly demonstrate that. But the haters got to hate and won't rest until they have privatized every aspect of the Christian faith, before attempting to eliminate it.
The truth is too nasty. Score one more for Alinsky.
Kudos to you and Mr. Land, and comments to this post are on the money. However, to the opinion-shapers, the large majority of electronic and print media, conservatives (religious and non-religious), we are all Mr. Phelps. You know how this will be interpreted ad likely reported. I say "likely" because a lot of the trend in recent years is to just ignore any facts/statements that don't fit the template. Result: preaching to the choir.
Evidently, Michael Sam succeeded in college football well enough to be considered a draft prospect, and I doubt that his teammates were all gay there. I doubt there will be much opportunity for serious sexual interaction in the huddle, and the key test will be acceptance by his teammates, which would not surprise me.
What sort of Christian can self-appoint himself as judge of all men's actions, or as Christ said, "Judge not, the you be not judged." or "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone." Christ healed and forgave sinners every day, so who is this arrogant bigot, who holds himself to be more righteous than God?
Let the LGBT have their monopoly on political tyranny -- let's not follow their despicable example.
This column is one of the many, many reasons that -- although I do not share his faith -- I'm always proud to share my friendship (and work!) with Scott Ott.
It's really very simple - one's sexuality has nothing to do with how well or not one plays football. It really shouldn't even have been brought up with a big press conference. No other football player does so. What your bedroom preferences and practices are don't make you better at tackling, blocking, catching a football or learning a playbook, and I guess Daniel Sam and the media are the only people who don't know that.

So who cares if he's gay? He shouldn't be barred for that because it doesn't impact what he's trying to do professionally in any way or at least, it shouldn't.