The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

May 8, 2014 - 11:46 am

The chairman of the select committee to investigate Benghazi said he’s not happy with the National Republican Congressional Committee for deploying the scandal in a fundraising pitch.

The NRCC sent out an email to supporters and launched a Benghazi Watchdogs page with links to contribute, sparking criticism from Democrats. Links in the email asking recipients to joint the Benghazi Watchdogs led to a fundraising page.

“I cannot and will not raise money for Benghazi,” Gowdy emphatically told CNN. “I also advised my colleagues to follow suit and I think I did so in a pretty unambiguous way.”

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), a member of the House Intelligence Committee who has been urging his colleagues to boycott the select committee, called the Benghazi panel “a fundraising vehicle for the Republican Party.”

“And that, frankly, is really, you know, destructive and yet again partisan exercise that gets us unfortunately farther from a focus on bringing these people to justice, farther from a focus on where are we in terms of protecting our diplomatic facilities around the world,” Schiff told CNN. “That is really not what this select committee is interested in. It is really just interested in talking points and trying to embarrass the administration or trying to score political points against Hillary Clinton.”

“…The formation of this committee has a lot more to do with Republican fundraising and Republican base motivation than it does in the Rhodes e-mail.”

At a news conference today, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) was asked if the NRCC should link fundraising efforts to the select committee.

“Our focus is on getting the answers to those families who lost their loved ones, period,” he replied a total of three times as he was repeatedly asked.

“I had a conversation with the minority leader yesterday and made clear that this is a serious investigation, that we wanted to work together to get to the truth. I think the 7-5 split is eminently fair. Frankly, fairer than her global warming committee that she set up,” Boehner added. “…This is a serious effort to get to the truth. And I would hope that my colleagues across the aisle would see it in the same way I do and appoint members to serve.”

Gowdy confirmed on Fox last night that he has been getting death threats since being selected by Boehner to lead the committee.

“I was a prosecutor for 16 years. This is not my first death threat. I’m always happy when it doesn’t come from my wife, and this one did not,” he said. “So I’m going to be fine and it’s not going to keep me from doing my job.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Gowdy is one of those stand up guys, I believe. He will do his best.
"This is not my first death threat. I’m always happy when it doesn’t come from my wife, and this one did not,”

I think I like this guy. He's got a sense of humor, too.

And he's absolutely right. There should be a complete HANDS OFF approach to use this for fundraising. Doing so is just playing into the Dem's hands.

Side track after side track. Why didn't Mr. Gowdy push for immunity for Louis Lerner so we can find out who gave the order to attack Tea Party types?

This select committee will end up with a vote to try some folks with Treason, but Justice will sit on the recommendation. Just like the contempt charge on Lerner.

What a show.

Of course this affects base motivation. Any time these congress critters do what they're actually supposed to do, their base will be less inclined to stay home on election day.
There are ways to link fundraising with Benghazi without bring the NRCC into the picture. A little common sense, people.
Not that it will get many of us to send the National Party any money (we know them too well) - but why shouldn't they highlight one of the very few times they actually picked their heads up from polishing Obama's jackboots?
I believe some Democrats have also tried fundraising off this. This isn't to justify what the NRCC is doing, but to point out that the press will hold conservatives and Republicans to a double standard: they'll jump all over this when we do it, yet say nothing when Democrats do. Gowdy is right to call the NRCC out on this; we have to be as professional about these hearings as possible.
Here we go again: play nice and they will too. Meanwhile, the LEFTNET will do anything they want. Yes, the MSM will ignore/protect/attack as necessary.

I say: tell it like it is. Don't be a kook; marshall your arguments, and make the case.

These are not remote arcane issues. Everybody who pays taxes needs to be in on this issue.

If we lose, so be it. America's the loser.

God save our souls.
Gowdy is one of those stand up guys, I believe. He will do his best.
Gowdy is a good man and a good Congressman. I hope he is allowed to run the select committee as a professional operation, with professional questioning, and not just a replication of the usual congressional-grandstanding news bite methods used in the prior committee hearings.
If Clinton runs in 2016, the GOP should--no, it MUST--link her with Benghazi, and with Boko Haram.
If she runs, its a legit issue...

Untill then...
Yes, but using it as a fundraiser is just stooopid.

We need to beat Hillary, she's responsible for Benghazi, and in tight with the Boko Harum terrorists.

But don't send us any money to put ads on TV about that, it just wouldn't be right.

Yup. Makes perfect sense to me.
Uh, so beating Hillary means we do just anything, without regard to whether or not it will be effective?

Yup. Makes perfect sense to me.

Maybe you don't comprehend the difference between "use it as a fundraiser right when a serious investigation is being launched so that we give them Dems evidence to support their charges that it's all partisan politics", and "run ads about it when the campaign starts".

Real brainy, there.

I think I like this guy. He's got a sense of humor, too.

One Trackback to “Should the NRCC Link Benghazi and Fundraising? Gowdy Says No”