The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

March 11, 2014 - 8:47 am

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback jumped on Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) for including former Kansas Sen. Bob Dole on his list of bad nominees in a speech last week to the Conservative Political Action Conference.

“You want to lose elections, stand for nothing,” Cruz told the CPAC crowd Thursday morning, detailing years of congressional defeats with the 2010 Tea Party rout as the exception. “…And then of course, all of us remember President Dole and President McCain and President Romney. Now look, those are good men. They’re decent men, but when you don’t stand and draw a clear distinction; when you don’t stand for principle, Democrats celebrate.”

“I don’t appreciate it,” Brownback said of Cruz’s speech on Fox. “I understand why people do that, but Bob Dole is a great American . You can disagree with him on policy, but he’s the iconic figure of the World War II generation. He’s a wonderful man. He led the Senate for a good period of time.”

When asked about the question of nominating moderates or candidates who are more staunchly conservative, the governor responded, “I think you’ve got to wait and see what the landscape actually says at that point in time.”

“But, my point is, the Reagan point is, you just don’t speak poorly of fellow Republicans. You know, and Reagan was always a very inclusive person and he had a lot of moderates in the party,” Brownback added.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) responded to Cruz’s speech by saying “my style is that I stand for things and I don’t think people question whether I stand for principle, but I don’t spend a lot of time trying to drag people down.” Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said he told Cruz that the Dole reference was inappropriate.

On ABC Sunday, Cruz contrasted himself with Paul. “He and I are good friends. I don’t agree with him on foreign policy. I think U.S. leadership is critical in the world. And I agree with him that we should be very reluctant to deploy military force aboard. But I think there is a vital role, just as Ronald Reagan did.”

Paul responded by penning an op-ed in Time Monday hitting at GOPs — without mentioning Cruz’s name — who make Ronald Reagan “into something he wasn’t in order to serve their own political purposes.”

Cruz issued a statement last night noting “although some would like to play up divisions among Republicans, I have no desire to play their game.”

“Rand Paul is a courageous voice for liberty, and I’m honored to call him my friend. We do not agree on everything, especially regarding foreign policy, but we have agreed on the vast majority of issues, and I am sure we will continue to do so,” Cruz said. “Substantive policy disagreements are a positive aspect of the political discourse, but in the fight for liberty, I am proud to stand with Rand.”

Rand Paul is starting to sound a little whiny.
This is why the GOP loses.

What Cruz said about Dole was not a personal attack but a political criticism -- and a pretty valid one. Dole/McCain/Romney lost because they pandered to the establishment media.

Dole and McCain (yes, even him) and Romney are not bad guys or lack character. Cruz actually noted that.

Cruz's GOP adversaries would do far more good by not responding to every orchestrated controversy. This is only going to back fire on them as Cruz clearly did not say what they are claiming he said.
Wow, all the RINOs are pouncing. They sense their moment has arrived! Oh, happy day! "How could those waskally tea baggers ever support Cruz after this??? Bwahahaha..."

And Rand Paul jumping on this bandwagon is only diminishing his stature as far as I'm concerned.
This comment is aimed at the entire DEMONcrat Party and the RINO/GOP leadership/followers in the soon to be defunct Republican Party that flatly refuse to request hearings on how we are funding the destruction of America by sending our military around the world to fight and die installing Shariah/Islamic law, failing to investigate the Muslim Brotherhood in America’s infiltration into our government include but not limited to the White House, DoD, DoJ, DHS, Office of the Director National Intelligence and the Department of State. Why don’t we have background investigation for presidential hopefuls, members of congress, Supreme Court members and judges at all levels? Why don’t each and even member of the government complete OPM SF 86, Questionnaire for National Security Positions?
Is it treason to refuse to request hearings on a plan developed to destroy us? Here is a simple question for everyone, especially politicians and those running for office at any level of government: “Is the Muslim Brotherhood in North America (MB)(Ikhwan) our friend or foe? Please provide me with links to the source material that provides you with your view(s).” I have asked “RINO” Renee Ellmers (RINO-NC), Sen. Burr (RINO-NC), Sen. Hagan (DEMONcrat-NC), Rep. Blunt (RINO-MO), Sen. McCaskill (DEMONcrat-MO), Rep. Hartzler (RINO-MO), and Rep. Price (DEMONcrat-NC) this question; could they be guilty of 18 U.S. Code § 2382 - Misprision of treason? What is it?
18 U.S. Code § 2382 - Misprision of treason
“Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States and having knowledge of the commission of any treason against them, conceals and does not, as soon as may be, disclose and make known the same to the President or to some judge of the United States, or to the governor or to some judge or justice of a particular State, is guilty of misprision of treason and shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than seven years, or both.”

We are sending our military around the world to fight and die helping the Muslim Brotherhood and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) install Shariah/Islamic law thus forming a caliphate, an Ummah. We are allowing those that do not believe in our First Amendment rights of free speech to be trampled upon and our useless politicians are nudging us closer and closer to a one-world-order or as some call it a one-world-government. We are being destroyed by Islamists, Marxists, communists, progressive, liberal leftists.
"...you just don’t speak poorly of fellow Republicans." So the same applies to those establishment types who speak poorly of Cruz, Paul and Palin? I won't hold my breath.
Military service is to politics what a college degree is to employment. It might get your foot in the doorbut you can't hang an entire career on it. Dole and McCain used their military record as an excuse or a crutch. It wears thin after awhile, especially when they try to portray their service as making them above reproach.
I will stand with Ted Cruz.

Sam Brownback and Ron Paul kind of like the Ruling Class Republican thing and like to be cool with John McCain and Mitch. With the country over the abyss already I would prefer someone who actually has courage to speak the truth and is not overly concerned with being polite to Obama or McCain or Dole who all helped put us over the abyss. In fact, all those people should actually be under arrest right now for failing to do their sworn duty to uphold the Constitution. It is amazing Ted Cruz is being criticized for being "impolite" while these reprobates destroy our Constitution and any semblance of rule of law.
Rand will destroy himself if he doesn't make nice with Cruz and fast. Rand is outmatched, a lot of Rand's good stuff I now conclude he does not write himself. Cruz is the real deal. Rand might take down Cruz with him, but I hope he means better than that.

Brownback missed an excellent opportunity to stay silent. OTOH he has presidential aspirations himself, or maybe vice-presidential aspirations. His asshat comments might be read in that context.
"“...he’s the iconic figure of the World War II generation. "

Big. Fat. Hairy. Deal.

Dole doesn't get a pass on being a lousy Senator and lousy Presidential candidate just because he was a wounded war veteran. We can salute his military service without being blind to his (many and huge) faults as a politician.

Same goes for McCain, except, he wasn't any hero. (If you think he was, read his book. Lesser men were dishonorably discharged for less cooperation with the enemy.)

"He led the Senate for a good period of time.”

Yes, and he did a lot of damage to America in doing so, including voting YES on every tax increase that came before him.

Cruz nailed it - Bush, Bush, Dole, McCain and Romney are managers and not leaders, and Karl Rove thinks these 5 are truly inspired me. Whatever.
Rand Paul is starting to sound a little whiny.
The road apple don't fall too far from the horses...
Bob Sheiffer or some other media person asked Dole in a debate to respond to Clinton's myriad character issues and he wouldn't do that. Bingo, the election was over. He was a terrible candidate. McCain did the same with Obama. He did everything but endorse him during the campaign. Romney drew back into his non combative state when Obama was vulnerable and desperate.
As long as the GOP keeps nominating bland, inarticulate candidates who shy from anything mildly controversial, the Dems and their media co-rats will grind their face in the dirt and hoodwink the public.
The opposite of what Ted Cruz said is that Dole, McCain and Romney had all the right policies and ideas but were just poor spokesmen for their cause. Is that a better explanation of why they lost?

In Ronald Reagan, Republicans had an articulate spokesman for great ideas. As he humbly said: "I wasn't a great communicator, but I communicated great things…" That got us through the '80s but it's not much help now.

Reagan set a standard that no politician today can match.
Dole, McCain and Romney did not HAVE any ideas. That's just it. None of them had any overriding themes to run on and they all considered conservative principles an embarrassment. They tried to win on their stirring biographies. They all refused to take on their opponents and thought they could win by being inoffensive.

Dole and McCain were especially nauseating. "Vote for me, I'm a dear, sweet old War Hero".
There is something to that number 40. A completeness. I think Reagan is the last of a kind of men that were fearless and humble enough to learn from their mistakes. Look at the landscape now, if God raises another Ronald Reagan the combination of the media and the GOP kneeling pundits like Rove would crucify him before he is even born.
1 2 Next View All