The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

February 24, 2014 - 8:23 am

You may remember where you were sitting or standing when you heard this news. Or, given Piers Morgan’s pitiful ratings, you may have to be reminded that he has a show at all. In either case, here’s some good news for a Monday: Crusading against our Second Amendment rights has finally cost Piers Morgan his primetime gig at CNN.

I received a return call from Mr. Morgan and was prepared for an endless argument over my assumptions. Not so. His show, he conceded, was not performing as he had hoped and was nearing its end.

“It’s been a painful period and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings,” he said, adding that although there had been times when the show connected in terms of audience, slow news days were problematic.

“Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it,” he said. “That’s run its course and Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me.”

The bathrooms could probably use a good scrubbing. It would be more honest work than anything Morgan has engaged in up to now as well.

CNN is mulling over kicking Morgan to some kind of “special event interview” show. Which means that they don’t really want to fire him, even though he did not perform in his job. It must be nice to be a leftwing pundit.

If I were Jeff Zucker and had that 9 p.m. timeslot to fill now, I would not do what is expected of CNN. What he should do is learn from the network that is dominating right now. Fox is succeeding not necessarily because it is “conservative.” Fox succeeds by mixing a few elements together that work. People talk about Fox’s eye-candy factor, and there’s not getting around the fact that many of Fox’s talent are easy on the eyes. They are also sharp and in command of their air. Fox is far less predictable than either CNN or MSNBC, and by that, I mean that on any given night you will see Megyn Kelly, Greta Van Susteren, Sean Hannity and Bill O’Reilly bring on commenters from all over the political spectrum. All of Fox’s hosts are serious professionals, and only one of them is identifiably Republican. But they all strive to be fair to conservative viewpoints and liberal viewpoints alike. They also mix in cultural stories and the latest outrageous legal cases, reaching into tabloid land without going full TMZ.

Morgan never even pretended to try to be fair. He is predictable, obnoxious and pretentious — and more than a shade dishonest. All of that is off-putting, and generates must-watch-whatever-else-is-on TV.

CNN would do well to find a host who is more engaging, fair and honest, highly informed and capable of dealing with all comers with sound arguments and wit, unpredictable, more of an iconoclast to both sides than a water carrier for either one. Here’s a suggestion.

I say do something CRAZY, and have a guy like Dennis Miller fill that 9pm slot. I'd just hate to see him lose in the ratings against Megyn.
"Which means that they don’t really want to fire him, even though he did not perform in his job. "

Which means that firing him is tantamount to admitting that hiring him was a really stupid thing to do in the first place, and they don't want to admit that.

What, exactly, was he supposed to bring to the table? Oh, year, he's "a British guy debating American cultural issues", and he's been known to be pretty nasty to little girls in front of large audiences.

Yeah, that was sure a good idea.

Hmmmmm.

This ad appears just under the article on my screen:
"Urinary Catheter Supplies".....
I think I watched Piers talk about some tripe or other for about 10 minutes once before changing channels. I watched Larry King for at least 20 minutes during his career. So I'm guessing whoever they get to replace him I'll only watch for 5 minutes before deciding he or she is completely irrelevant to sentient life.
so is it true that CNN now has to find a host that can generate a couple hundred eyeballs to have more viewers than were watching Piers?

Bet you can do that with a fish station, just put a fish tank on for an hour and let viewers watch the fish swim around.

Or a fireplace station, turn on and enjoy the appearance of a warm cozy fireplace.
"enjoy the appearance of a warm cozy fireplace."

To be fair, while the audio and visuals of the fireplace video would certainly be better, Morgan provided more hot air.

I vote for jeff to just run dead air for that slot. Most likely would be his highest rated show...
Kitten videos...or just a Web Soup style show of dogs welcoming back soldiers.
"slow news days were problematic"

Where has he been since 9/10?! Has he been too busy banning various people that he's not paid attention to the rest of the world?

I wonder if phone hacking charges from his time as editor of the Daily Mirror are about to filed against him.
"slow news days were problematic"

Promote Jake Tapper?

From within PJmedia, I'd like to see the Stephen Green Vodka Hour where the host and the guests get a little drunk on camera. That would be entertaining and informative.
Jake Tapper would be a good choice, but I'm not sure he has the energy and entertainment factor to hold the spot. Remember, the talent in that slot has to somehow manage to draw eyeballs away from Megyn Kelly. Morgan's a tool and hurt his show...but it's still true that 9 pm is a really tough timeslot.
Every night, Morgan essentially spent an hour talking about how stupid he thinks his audience is. Small wonder he never ignited the ratings. He was a poor (and really quite odd) choice from the start.

Mike Rowe is free...should CNN make a smart choice.*

*Note: CNN will not make a smart choice.
1 2 Next View All