The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

February 20, 2014 - 6:48 am

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) dismissed the Congressional Budget Office report predicting that half a million jobs or more may be lost by a minimum wage hike, arguing that Republicans would keep wages down to about a buck an hour if they could.

“If you believe that raising the minimum wage would lose jobs, it never should have been raised from the time it was a buck, you know, in the ’50s and the ’60s and we’ve created about 80 million jobs since then,” Boxer told MSNBC.

Senate Democrats are wanting a hike to at least $10.10 per hour. The CBO found that a rate less than that, which Dems have said is a non-starter, would kill fewer jobs.

“When people are earning a decent living, when they don’t have to fear that they can feed their families when they come home after working a full-day, it does lift everyone up including the communities in which they live because they spend dollars in the community,” Boxer said.

“So I think overall, if we took the attitude that the Republicans take is don’t raise the minimum wage and we applied it — when I was a kid and the minimum wage was a buck an hour, it would still be a buck an hour and by the way since then we’ve created tens and millions of jobs,” she said. “So I think, you know, the CBO comes out with these reports, they did it on healthcare and it turned out that was really good news also because people wouldn’t be stuck in job lock because they’d finally have health insurance, they could start their own businesses, other people would take their jobs.”

“At the end of the day, we know from so many years and decades that raising the minimum wage is a win-win.”

Boxer said Republicans have “a losing argument,” adding that their attitude would mean the country would still “have a buck an hour in minimum wage and we know that’s ridiculous.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

SARCASM ALERT

Minimum wage should be 1 million per year. Then we shall be all millionaires and the stupid ads telling us we can make $7,834 per month on the Internet will be a thing of the past. The deserts shall bloom and no one will ever be hungry or sick.
According to some of the posters, we can all make $71/hr from home just like their aunts and cousins do!
Actually, I would be happy if it were eliminated altogether, in an ideal world. Government shouldn't be setting prices, whether of goods or labor.
If it wasn't for government overspending, a $1 minimum wage would still be good.
...and some liberal shills will say anything, absolutely anything, to believe themselves relevant.
Does anyone else find it curious that a senator worth several million dollars preaches class warfare to her peasants?
Inconceivable!
Howdy Talesin
FDR was one of America's wealthiest citizens when he played class warfare through the 30s. Why would I be surprised at wealthy libs playing class warfare when I've seen it all my life?
If you democrat touchy-feely, let my emotions blindly guide me, extremists would quit regulating things to death, borrowing money till we're bankrupt and driving up inflation and mandating crazy things then the minimum wage would likely be lower and things would likely be much cheaper in turn.
Well, yeah, but the "progressives" would have to ask, "Where's the fun in that?"
Boxer would be happy if everyone in America who did not bow to the democrat party was executed. A little over the top? Well, that seems to be her lingo.
This gal, and mine - Jan Schakowsky here in IL, are the two thickest rocks of the bunch. What a laugh.

Listen to Either of them speak - it is hilarious!!
Actually BaBa........ nothing will make 'GOPer's happy. They tried it only once, they hated it........
Wrong, I'd be VERY happy if every left leaning person moved to their socialist country of choice and left the US to people who appreciate the freedoms we we're handed down from our forefathers. Then again, I'm not a republican (GOP), I'm a conservative.
Thank you Cali Conservative! We have to start making that distinction more and more!

I am ordering that sticker made: I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN I AM A CONSERVATIVE!

Chapeau!
I don't want a minimum wage of $1/hr. I don't want a minimum wage at all. What self-respecting adult would work for $7 or 8/hr for more than a month or so anyway? I know some felons and illegal aliens who get paid lots more than that. Get a better job. You can do impromptu interviews on breaks and lunch. Just ask. Colleges don't get money unless they have students. They usually have all sorts of scholarship and grant money waiting to be used. They want to find someone that can unlock this money for them. Ask at a few college financial aid offices and you might be able to get some free classes to train you to do something that pays more.

If you are stuck in a minimum wage job, you are the problem, not society.

Boxer is wasting Oxygen. She should have to buy carbon credits to talk.
It might be that widespread happiness would break out if Ms. Boxer were paid a buck an hour...

Well, Babs, what can I say? No, I'd not be happy with a buck-an-hour minimum wage. I think zero would be much better.
At $1 an hour, Barbara Boxer could at long last be legally paid what she is worth.
She's worth that much????

1 2 3 Next View All