The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

February 14, 2014 - 8:27 am

President Obama gave a pep talk to House Democrats at their retreat in Maryland this morning, saying he was “grateful” for Nancy Pelosi’s team and “looking forward to making sure that this year we keep on making progress, even if we continue to get a little resistance from the other side.”

“Part of what I’d like to think makes us Democrats is not simply some abstract ideological set of beliefs, but the fact that we’re reminded every single day that we’re here to help a whole bunch of folks out there, our neighbors, our friends, our communities, who are struggling still and need our help,” Obama said. “And they’re counting on us. The good thing is they’ve got some outstanding members of Congress who are willing to fight for them regardless of the political cost, starting with your leader, Nancy Pelosi.”

The president didn’t drop any policy bombshells, though he said he wanted to be the first to wish Pelosi a happy Valentine’s Day.

“We laid out some very specific ways that we can move the country forward, breaking them down into a few categories. Number one, creating more good jobs that pay good wages. Number two, making sure that folks are trained to fill those good jobs. Number three, making sure that our kids have the best education in the world,” Obama said. “And, number four, making sure that hard work pays off, that people aren’t poor if they’re working full time, that they have some semblance of retirement security, that they can count on health care if, heaven forbid, something happens to them.”

“And already, just in the last couple of weeks, we’ve put forward a range of executive actions that are gonna make a difference,” he added, referencing his order raising the minimum wage for federal contract workers and establishment of the MyRA retirement account program.

“But, as I said at the State of the Union, and I want to repeat today, we can get a whole lot more done if we’ve got Congress working with us. And this caucus has shown time and time again, under the most difficult circumstances, the kind of courage and unity and discipline that has made me very, very proud,” Obama continued.

“And, look, everybody here is an elected official and we can all appreciate the maneuverings that take place, particularly in an election year,” he added. “But when it comes to immigration reform, we have to remind ourselves that there are people behind the statistics, that there are lives that are being impacted, that punting and putting things off for another year, another two years, another three years, it hurts people. It hurts our economy. It hurts families.”

Reporters were ushered out of the room before Obama took questions from the caucus.

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

The devil, is in the denials.
This is the same president who said words to the effect that 'I'm pretty good at killing people'. Actually, like all his actions, someone else does the actual deed while Teleprompter Barbie just makes speeches between vacations.
Obama reminds me of the Ayatollahs in Iran exhorting the faithful to clear minefields using their own bodies. It's so nice to have such a thoughtful leader. Of course he'll be back at the WH regretting your loss.
Here comes the bus.
Obama is now being officially designated as AWOL ... and the chorus is growing. Mr. Ambition is all about himself, and now he wants to use the Dems as a doormat to further his ambitions of becoming the darling of the internationalists. Things are unravelling for Obama and he senses that I think; while for America, things are looking better every day in spite of the prognosticators and the barrage of "words" - and only "words" - that come streaming from Obama's mouth.
I can't believe the laundry list of what the federal government is supposed to do for you. It makes sure I have a good education, a good job, make good pay, have good insurance, a good retirement, and lots of new citizen neighbors who break the law to get in to the country. The cost? That's easy. Your wealth, your liberty, and in the end your soul.

Who's in?
Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! (I'll be in the helicopter if you need me to give a speech.)
Zero sounds like Bonnie Prince Charles, doesn't he? You guys go out there and fall on your swords as I retreat to the safety of France. Give me your lives and treasure, and I will lead the fight...from DC.

The Democrats have principles...since when?

Your remarks remind me of the lyrics from "The Knife", a Genesis song on the Trespass album.

Here are the complete lyrics.

The Knife

For Those that Trespass against us

Tell me my life is about to begin
Tell me that I am a hero,
Promise me all of your violent dreams
Light up your body with anger.
Now, in this ugly world
it is time to destroy all this evil.
Now, when I give the word
get ready to fight for your freedom
Now -

Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies
That have spread like disease through our minds.
Soon we'll have power, every soldier will rest
And we'll spread out our kindness
To all who our love now deserve.
Some of you are going to die -
Martyrs of course to the freedom that I shall provide.

I'll give you the names of those you must kill,
All must die with their children.
Carry their heads to the palace of old,
Hang them high, let the blood flow.
Now, in this ugly world
break all the chains around us,
Now, the crusade has begun
give us a land fit for heroes,
Now -

Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies
That have spread like disease through our minds.
Soon we'll have power, every soldier will rest
And we'll spread out our kindness
To all who our love now deserve.
Some of you are going to die -
Martyrs of course to the freedom that I shall provide.

We are only wanting freedom
We are only wanting freedom
We are only wanting freedom
We are only wanting freedom ("Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom...")
We are only wanting freedom ("Things are getting out of control here today")
We are only wanting freedom ("OK men - fire over their heads!")
We are only wanting freedom

--- WE HAVE WON ---

Some of you are going to die,
Martyrs of course to the freedom that I shall provide.

I expect that Obama would heartily approve of every word and sentiment of this song, even if it was written by white middle class people from England. The narcissism of the song, where a leader is rallying his followers against imagined oppression, would please him to the depths of his soul.
Hey! It sounds like a good strategy to me. In other words he is saying: "We shall fight until the last drop of YOUR blood!
I sure hope that dems run on B.O. care and if you like your plan you can keep it PERIOD. And amazing how they don't want to be seen with the man that they vote for, and give a standing ovation to when he calls them irrelevant.
"Defend me your King to your deaths whilst I run away!"
The amazing thing is that his audience, his pin headed supporters, and just maybe himself believe thus surrealistic crap. Get it, the federal government is going to create jobs, poof, there's jobs! No problem. He and his party of lunatics have spent years damaging America, now they're counting on media tramps to treat this gibberish seriously and fool the fools.
That same "I Can Do Whatever I Want (with a phone and a pen)" President?

That's some real tough talk, right there.

1 2 Next View All

3 Trackbacks to “Obama Urges House Dems to Fight for His Agenda ‘Regardless of the Political Cost’”