The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

January 9, 2014 - 9:02 am

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) faced the media today to announce that he was cleaning house in the wake of the bridge scandal and would go to the city of Fort Lee to apologize to the mayor and its residents.

“I am embarrassed and humiliated by the conduct of some of the people on my team. There’s no doubt in my mind that the conduct that they exhibited is completely unacceptable and showed a lack of respect for their appropriate role of government and for the people that we’re trusted to serve,” Christie said.

He said this morning he fired his deputy chief of staff, Bridget Kelly, whose name was on emails giving the green light on the closure of lanes on a key bridge between New York and New Jersey. The emails support the assertion that the closure, which created an epic traffic mess, was political retribution for the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee not supporting Christie’s re-election campaign. The emails don’t bear the governor’s name.

“I terminated her employment because she lied to me,” Christie said of Kelly. “I brought my senior staff together about four weeks ago tomorrow, and I put to all of them one simple challenge. If there is any information that you know about the decision to close these lanes in Fort Lee, you have one hour to tell either my chief of staff, Kevin O’Dowd or my chief counsel, Charlie McKenna.”

“I told them that in an hour I was going to go out in the press conference, and if no one gave me other information to the contrary, I was going to say that no one on my staff was involved in this matter. Over the course of the next hour, Kevin and Charlie interviewed each member of my senior staff, came back and reported to me they all reported there was no information other than what we already knew.”

Christie said he saw the emails for the first time Wednesday morning when they were broken by the media.

“There’s no justification for that behavior. There’s no justification for ever lying to a governor or a person in authority in this government. As a result, I’ve terminated Bridget’s employment immediately this morning,” he said.

“I am heartbroken that someone who I permitted to be in that circle of trust for the last five years betrayed my trust. I would never have come out here four or five weeks ago and made a joke about these lane closures had I ever had an inkling that anyone on my staff would have been so stupid but to be involved, and then so deceitful as to dis — just to not disclose the information of their involvement to me when directly asked by their superior.”

“I take this action today because it’s my job. I am responsible for what happened. I am sad to report to the people of New Jersey that we fell short. We fell short of the expectations that we’ve created over the last four years for the type of excellence in government that they should expect from this office,” the governor continued. “But I have repeatedly said to them that while I promised them the best governor’s office I could give them, I could never promise a perfect governor’s office. So when I find those imperfections, those mistakes, those lies, my obligation as chief executive of this state is to act. And as to Bridget Kelly, I’ve acted today.”

But the heads weren’t done rolling.

You gotta give the state-run media their props. They know how to take out a Republican. Christy is getting what he deserves.

My question is how do we get the state-run media to go after McCain, Graham, Boehner, and all the rest of the RINOs? Convince them to run for the Presidency?

All kidding aside, the Lesson Learned for potential conservative candidates is to wait until the last minute to announce.
Whether he ordered it, or knew about it, we don't really know.

What we DO know is that he hired the kind of people who would do this kind of thing. Not 4th level underlings, but his inner circle.

That says a lot about him, and ain't none of it good.

I have little use for Christie after his public fellation of Obama, while dissing Romney during the Hurricane Sandy episode, but I do feel a certain primal outrage growing in me at the way this mouseturd of a "scandal" is being played up, what with investigations being called for - all juxtaposed against the real world, traitorous and criminal scandals, that is the hallmark of the Obama administration.
The double standard from the media is now far beyond simple dismissal by our side as "that's just the way they are" or "we just have to accept that they are biased". No! The media sets the national conversation and the national agenda and this blatant, naked bias should be viewed as criminal malpractice.
This is not cute; it's not funny. it's a matter of life and death for our Republic.
JAPBBS. Think about it.
Chrispy got his trust abused?! Cry me a river.

Hope the fat basturd gets a little more than he can handle.
Chrispy got his trust abused?! Cry me a river.

Hope the fat bastid gets a little more than he can handle.
What kind of "sheep-le" don't get out of their freakin' cars & remove cones where there is clearly NO WORK being done? Oh right...this is "back east"...never mind.
Christie would gain back some respect from me if he just went to the media and said "What difference, at this point, does it make?". Just Like Hillary did in response to Benghazi.

Just to flush out the double standard they hold.
Christie and Obama - Brothers From Another Mother.
I don't think Gov. Christie has the right temperament to be President. Can you imagine Reagan or either of the Bushes inconveniencing commuters this bad just to get political revenge? Bill Clinton would probably have the political sense to not go there. All would have staff with the good sense to stop this. Only especially self-centered Presidents like Obama and Nixon or an incompetent one like Carter would put together a team that would do something stupid like this.

Whether he ordered it, or knew about it, we don't really know.

That says a lot about him, and ain't none of it good.

Sometimes it's as hard to find good help as it is to find fair minded commenters.
I was thinking the same thing.

No sympathy from me for this RINO windbag.
Yes, it's like seeing your worst enemy drive off a cliff in your brand new car. Mixed feelings.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “Christie Rolls Some Heads, Says He’s ‘Heartbroken’ by ‘Betrayal’ of Staff in Bridge Scandal”