The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

January 3, 2014 - 7:24 am

I’ve been away from Tatler for the last couple of weeks on vacation/holiday, with family visiting from way out of town, as in Tokyo. I avoided the news for most of that time, knowing that if I did jump into the headlines even once, I’d be right here writing instead of taking the time off. It’s a news junkie’s life — you so much as glance at a fleeting headline and pretty soon you’re composing a few paragraphs in your head.

But, while I was gone, the headlines didn’t change much. Barack Obama is still the most dishonest president America has ever had, and his signature law is still a hurricane threatening to blow the economy down in 2014, when the employer mandate finally kicks in for real.

Even before that happens, Obamacare is costing one Oregon mom her family insurance.

Kate Holly, 33, tells KOIN-TV that she originally championed President Barack Obama’s signature health care law because she thought it would help people in her situation.

“I’ve been a cheerleader for the Affordable Care Act since I heard about it and I assumed that it was designed for people in my situation,” Holly, a freelance yoga instructor, told KOIN. “I was planning on using the Affordable Care Act and I had done the online calculator in advance to make sure I was going to be able to afford it.”

Holly’s husband works for a non-profit organization that pays for his health care, but the couple is unable to afford to have her and their son covered under his plan. And she’s been told their combined income is too much to qualify for a subsidized health care plan under Cover Oregon.

“It wasn’t until I started the process and got an agent that I started hearing from them I wasn’t going to qualify for subsidies because I qualify on my husband’s insurance,” she told KOIN.

Geez, you can even plan to ramp up your dependence on government in the Obama economy.

But at least the 2.1 million who the government says have signed up for Obamacare are getting health care now, right? Er, wrong.

Patients in a close-in DC suburb who think they’ve signed up for new insurance plans are struggling to show their December enrollments are in force, and health care administrators aren’t taking their word for it.

In place of quick service and painless billing, these Virginians are now facing the threat of sticker-shock that comes with bills they can’t afford.

‘They had no idea if my insurance was active or not!’ a coughing Maria Galvez told MailOnline outside the Inova Healthplex facility in the town of Springfield.

She was leaving the building without getting a needed chest x-ray.

‘The people in there told me that since I didn’t have an insurance card, I would be billed for the whole cost of the x-ray,’ Galvez said, her young daughter in tow. ‘It’s not fair – you know, I signed up last week like I was supposed to.’

The x-ray’s cost, she was told, would likely be more than $500.

She enrolled three days before Christmas. She hasn’t been sent a bill and the docs can’t find any record of her having coverage. But even if the hospital had taken her coverage as good, it may not have mattered. The plan she bought carries a $5500 per-person deductible. That’s “coverage” in Obama’s America.

If you’ve had a new baby lately, well, you may be stuck without coverage. The geniuses who built Obamacare didn’t make it simple to add a new kid to your existing health plan, according to the AP.

There’s another quirk in the Obama administration’s new health insurance system: It lacks a way for consumers to quickly and easily update their coverage for the birth of a baby and other common life changes.

With regular private insurance, parents just notify the health plan. Insurers will still cover new babies, the administration says, but parents will also have to contact the government at some point later on.

Right now the HealthCare.gov website can’t handle such updates.

It’s a reminder that the new coverage for many uninsured Americans comes with a third party in the mix: the feds. And the system’s wiring for some vital federal functions isn’t yet fully connected.

As long as Obamacare is on the books, we’ll be reporting every major life change to the federal government — births, deaths, marriages, divorces, everything that can impact your economic standing in any way and therefore your connection to Obamacare. If you like your police state, Obamacare will let you keep your police state.

We’re not done yet, as you’ll see on the next page.

"I assumed that it was designed for people in my situation,"

And because of that assumption you ignored (and insulted) everyone who tried to tell you otherwise!

Sympathy = 0
Bloomberg TV 01/03/2014 on Friday's Rick Santelli segment from Chicago's trading floor said USA's growth in 2014 is estimated to hit only 1.5% with an average employment of approximately 180,000 to 200,000 per month. This is worse than 1936's Financial Crisis. And The White House is doubting millennials signing up for ACA (Obamacare). Once again, this is: 1) defend, 2) deflect, and 3) Disinforming all Americans about the true state of America's economic future and impact Obamacare will have on this metric. This is Joseph Goebbels' program planning for a Dictatorship. Wake-up America, this is worse than colonial America's Revolution. Join A Tea Party, urgently. Pray. Amen.
Here in Northern Virginia, my family insurance for 4 has already risen 63% thanks to Obamacare. My deductible has gone from $300 to $5,000. Lost my primary doctor and haven't yet found another willing to take new patients. Every doctor I know, and I know a lot of them, is considering early retirement, going to "concierge" medicine only, or moving to a doctor friendly country. And we're told that more Obamacare changes and taxes will be imposed in 2014 and 15. I'm already now paying 22% of my earnings in health insurance before said insurance pays a dime for care. Obamacare is itself a cancer that must be eradicated and its supporters removed from political office.
I will never sign up. This is slavery of every single American (except the favored ones who got waivers). They will never be MY master. I'd rather die free, than live as a slave.
It may not be doing anything the Liar promised, but it is doing everything he intended.
You may be an Obama supporter, but are you really willing to support others who will be given your tax money to pay for their health insurance? Your rates go up to support them and your annual deductible amount goes up, too. Obama is trying to delay this, but from then on FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE you will pay those higher rates and deductible costs. Since the Democrats all voted for it, they can’t be depended on to join the effort. It’s up to us to vote for Republicans to get enough people in office who want to repeal the law. This is for all government levels. Remember, it’s YOUR money so vote your pocketbook. This situation is hardly different from your taxes being assigned to support an illegal alien, and that will happen when Amnesty is the law. If you don’t believe that surprise is buried in Obamacare, see
http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2012/october/11/health-care-immigrants.aspx Also, medical taxes go up in 2014. See http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-taxes.php Join with us to our mutual benefit in November 2014 and after obamacare is repealed or defunded we can go back to our normal bickering.
Yes Obamacare is awful. But our side has been so busy attacking the law that we have singularly failed to propose any alternative whatsoever. HSAs? Sale across state lines? Tort reform? These things nibble at the edges and do nothing to provide Americans with health insurance much less healthcare. Our healthcare system is a disaster and whichever party actually implements solutions to solve the problems will never lose another election.
Au contraire. The Republicans have made proposals along the lines you suggest. They can't get the press to tell the public and can't get the Senate to consider them. Obamacare is fundamentally flawed. It cannot be amended. Kill the beast and start over with an honest open public debate.
I am not a crook.
I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
You can keep your plan.
"I assumed that it was designed for people in my situation,"

Sympathy = 0
Was thinking, why are we promoting a law, and do we do this with other laws.

Just tax those that don't pay, and be done with it, and let the IRS run ramshod over all those that can't afford, won't buy and be done with it.

We can then put them all in jail, and really clog up the system.

But no worry, big government that created the problem is hear to make the problems worse and create more problems, that will demand that big government comes back with more of your tax money to screw it up even more.

And this while liberals say trust me, but then this is a country that voted for an unvetted, economic dunce, who is an affirmative action, unpatriotic, irresponsible chicago thug failure, Now what could possibly go wrong with this man shredding the constitution.
they voted for it, and they trusted Pelosi, that you have to pass the bill to find out what is in it.

What a bunch of suckers, that thought others would pay for them, and screw the rest.

Coming back to bite them in their buttocks.
I learned a new word today:

Craptacular.

In use:

I would like one of those craptacular turd sandwiches please.
1 2 Next View All