The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

September 30, 2013 - 6:58 am

After his election last November, Maine Independent Sen. Angus King said he wanted to serve as a bridge between the two parties.

“I want to keep the lines of communications open with the Republicans, because the fact is, given a Republican House, a Democratic Senate with substantial power in the Republican minority, and a Democratic president, if we don’t work together, it’s impossible,” he told PBS back then.

His bridge-builder tone today is, shall we say, a little sharper. King tells Salon:

…Well-heeled conservative groups are appealing to uninsured young people to remain uninsured — part of a backdoor effort to undermine the structural integrity of the health care law.

Their efforts have attracted the attention of one senator who recounts how being insured saved his life when he was a young adult, and who has since then watched others die due to lack of coverage. And he doesn’t mince words with those who’d take risks with other people’s health security.

“That’s a scandal — those people are guilty of murder in my opinion,” Sen. Angus King, a Maine Independent who caucuses with Democrats, told me in a Friday interview. “Some of those people they persuade are going to end up dying because they don’t have health insurance. For people who do that to other people in the name of some obscure political ideology is one of the grossest violations of our humanity I can think of. This absolutely drives me crazy.”

“I tried to look up the phone number for one of these guys … to ask “are you aware of what you’re doing?” he added.

Forty years ago, when King was 29 years old, he was provided health insurance as a staffer for then-Sen. Bill Hathaway, R-Maine, and for the first time in a decade went to a clinic for a checkup.

“I had a health policy that included in it a free annual physical as a part of the policy and they had evening clinic hours. And I wouldn’t have taken the day off — and if that hadn’t been covered under the insurance there’s no doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t have gone to have the checkup,” King said.

“It was a routine checkup and the doctor found this mole, and I went in a week later to have the stitches out. The doctor told me I’d better sit down and that I had melanoma…. A month later I found myself having every cancer test you could imagine. Ultimately I had a fairly major surgery. The point of the story is that without the surgery I would have died.”

During the original Obamacare debate, Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) infamously said that Republicans want you to “die quickly.”

YouTube Preview Image

Also read:

Dem Senator Acknowledges Obamacare Hurts Businesses

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Since you haven't earned any resect yet, can I call you Angus? Just add an amendment to the CR, eliminating any waivers for you, congress critters, O himself, staff, unions, zip/zero/nada waivers, and then once you have a chip in the pot, tell us again how you really feel about Ocare.
"Sen. Angus King, a Maine Independent who caucuses with Democrats"

In other words, a Democrat. Just call a spade a spade.
But, but, but...I thought young people only listened to Democrats, not "well heeled conservative groups". Young people won't be in a hurry to sign up for their monthly ObamaBill because there is nothing in it for them. Sorry about your mole, Angus, but you were not saved by an insurance policy but by medical treatment.
my best friend's step-sister makes $89 an hour on the computer. She has been unemployed for 5 months but last month her pay was $13439 just working on the computer for a few hours. ........> www.jobs60.ℂom
my buddy's step-sister makes $84/hr on the internet. She has been without work for eight months but last month her income was $14936 just working on the internet for a few hours. browse around these guys

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://WWW.WORKS23.COM
Meanwhile, over in (Ob"Oz"a) land, glitches in the Obamacare website is a "good thing". I wonder how many people it took to crash the system. I wonder what it was to crash the system.
Okay, Angus, how about you and your fellow leftists withdraw all the exemptions oBUMa (illegally) gave to unions, especially public unions. Then, let's see how your constituents like you and how obstructionist you'd be and how close behind oBUMa you'd stay.
Community organizers thrive on the status woe, playing people off against one another and creating a political atmosphere of frenzy. So the system that provided the life-saving measure must be dismantled so that in the long haul, more people will be deprived the same measures--if a medical board says so? Oh, I forgot: Congress has exempted itself from such a drastic move.
Angus King uses his plight as 29 year old white collar and college educated victim as a reason why we need government control of everyone's health care.

Obviously college education does not give your the good sense to take care off yourself.
Now we know what is worse than a weak kneed, bewildered wildebeest RINO Senator
One of the top voted comments at Salon: "They (Republicans) need to be exterminated like the cockroaches that they are."

And we're supposed to allow such people to control our lives? I think the US has to face up to the need for some type of reconfiguration of the states. At a minimum, there will have to be an increase in states' rights if the country is going to continue.

Chief Justice Roberts' decision on Obamacare may end up being a Dred Scott-type of ruling that ultimately leads to a reorganization of the United States.
Did he say this while in or out of his strait jacket? This is approaching the lunacy, homicidal lunacy pitch. Can't help wondering if it isn't a prelude to, shall we say, a violent interlude. But then it might only be rabies.
P S. the smucks last sentence implies he couldn't have the operation without the coverage. Show me a hospital that would turn a person away for lack of insurance. Even if you believe they're not as altruistic as you, you still have lawyers and lawsuits. And remeber all our Mexican friends dropping their babies and/or getting other medical treatments.
Keeping within bounds that won't have the FBI at my door, I basically told him to [expletive deleted] on his facebook page. Maybe I'll bother to track down his official email and do the same there. being called a murderer for standing up for what is right makes me edgy.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “Maine Independent Sen. King: Conservatives Discouraging Obamacare ‘Guilty of Murder’”