The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

September 27, 2013 - 8:02 am

Though the GQ article on Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said Sen. John McCain “f***ing hates Cruz,” the Arizona Republican claimed this morning that he and his Lone Star colleague have “a good relationship.”

McCain said on CBS this morning that Cruz’s 21-hour floor speech this week “certainly didn’t match the meaning of the word” filibuster.

“Second of all, we are dividing the Republican party rather than attacking Democrats and maybe trying to persuade those five or six Democrats that are in states that are leaning Republican. We are now launching attacks against Republicans funded by commercials that appear — Senator Lee and Senator Cruz appear in, and so it’s very dysfunctional,” he continued.

“The American people by 80 to 20 do not want the government shut down. And I was around the last time we did it, and there was a very big backlash. And I’m proud of the fight that we waged against Obamacare, but right now, as Senator Coburn, our most conservative Republican senator has said, this exercise will not achieve the goal that we seek doing it in this fashion.”

When asked if Cruz was doing this for “personal ambition,” McCain said he couldn’t “describe his motives.”

“He and I have a good relationship. We have a friendly relationship, and I can’t question his motives. But I do question whether the outcome is going to be as he is promising people, which is impossible as long as the Democrats control two of the three bodies of government,” McCain added.

The Arizona senator said he hadn’t seen this sort of party infighting since first assuming his seat in 1987.

“I think that it argues for us to be more united and spend our time with — against our adversary because we all share the same principles and values. And I’d like to see us do that,” McCain said.

“I’ve not said anything personally, but I did take exception when Senator Cruz likened people who weren’t taking his position to those appeasers prior to World War II… that’s just over the line.”

More: House GOP Whip: If Reid Strips Obamacare Language, House to Send Back Something ‘Very Different’

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

as a conservative I would rather have a rabid dog as my friend then McCain.

as a conservative, I would rather have a deadly rattlesnake at my back than McCain.

At least with the rabid dog and snake I know that I have to be very careful, all the time around them, and may have to put them down to protect myself.
And for what it's worth, while Sen. McCain was decrying Sen. Cruz's "dividing of the Republican party", his little mini-me was talking up the idea of raisig taxes

Stop calling McCain nuts, people! That's either giving him too much credit or not enough. You have to make like an FBI profiler and learn how your enemy thinks--hint, it's rocket science. McCain just proved that he is NOT insane but rather a big grey goose of a toadying coward (Vietnam was a LONG time ago).

Like everyone else on The Hill he smells the stirring, shifting winds and is desperate to hedge his bets. So suddenly Cruz isn't so bad after all? In the weeks to come, who knows? Ted Cruz might turn out to have been McCain's best friend and youthful protege all along.

Don't just vent your spleens here, use your heads. These people are slimier and more cowardly than you ever imagined. They are NOT going to die for Obama.

Everything you need to know about politics you already learned on the playground.
Correction: "It's NOT rocket science"!

Gotta proofread better.
Hogwash.
Now McCain is slandering Cruz.......!
"McCain: Cruz and I Have a ‘Friendly Relationship"
Yeah, like a giant python and a full grown alligator...
McAmnesty is as big a liar as exists within Republican ranks.
Cruz likes McCain as people like a doddering old fool of an uncle that can't think to wipe the egg off his chin.

It is time for McCain to go. To everyone who agrees, please sign the petition and let him know http://www.change.org/.../john-mccain-retire-from-the-senate
John, John. The party's over. It's time to go home.

This to Arizona: Would somebody please call him a cab?
No John McCain, YOU are over the line. I think people in Arizona are getting just as stupid as most people in California who voted for Feinstein and Boxer.
To know the details of McCain's life is to see a wretched little man. How much better the Republican brand would be even right now if he had crossed the aisle for good to stay with his friend Teddy. The enemy within is far more destructive than the enemy without.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “McCain: Cruz and I Have a ‘Friendly Relationship’”