The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

September 18, 2013 - 9:48 am

A CNN correspondent badgered military leaders at a Pentagon press conference this morning about why they won’t get the Defense Department involved in the gun debate.

“Mr. Secretary, the department’s now lost people in three major gun violence incidents, Aurora, of course, Fort Hood, and this. My question to both of you is, you have to have reviews, but is that good enough at this point? Is that enough? Why not break the mold and get involved in the public — the department, both of you gentlemen, the U.S. military, and get involved in the public debate in this country about gun violence? We’ve not heard either of you say you’re taking — you’re going to — you’re supporting the president’s position on what he supports, on gun violence and gun registration. Why not get involved? Why not talk about it?” Barbara Starr asked Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey at the first briefing since Monday’s shooting at the Navy Yard.

Aaron Alexis, a former Navy reservist and contractor, killed 12 in a shooting rampage at the D.C. facility.

“Can we both hear — hear both of your views about gun violence in this country and what you — now that you’ve lost so many people, military families are at risk, what do you think needs to be done?” the reporter pressed the leaders.

“Well, to start with, gun violence is an issue. And it is tragic, and I think every American who has witnessed this over the years — and as the general and I have expressed our sense about it this morning our thoughts and prayers and heart goes out to everyone who is a victim of this,” Hagel said.

“Gun violence is a violation of the law. And so there’s no question that it’s not a matter of trying to defend it or excuse it,” he continued. “As to our position here — and General Dempsey can speak for himself — but my role is secretary of defense. I’m not involved in domestic policy issues. That’s not my role; that’s not my responsibility.”

Dempsey said he “couldn’t agree more” with Hagel.

“It’s pretty difficult to separate the views of Citizen Dempsey from Chairman Dempsey, so I try not to do that. And it is not my role as the chairman to become involved in domestic political issues,” he added.

CNN’s Starr persisted. “I guess you’re both saying — and no disrespect — you’ve lost people, it’s a risk to military families in this country, but you’re going to — genuinely, you’re going to stay out of the public debate on this question and the debate over the president’s policies and views on this?” she asked.

“Well, again, I would say, my role is not a role of the policymaker,” Hagel replied. “When I am called to Congress, I answer questions about security in this country and the aspects of it and the responsibilities I have. I don’t engage in the domestic policy debates; that’s not my role.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Oh baby, would that have been a shot heard round the world!
Imagine a REAL American Defense Secretary or Joint Chief General saying this:

"...oh, but I HAVE taken a position on the issue, you see...I've committed my lifes work to being "part of the conversation"...you see, I've taken an OATH to DEFEND the Constitution...all of it, even the pesky, unppopular parts that smarmy lefists such as yourself have open contempt for..."

"I believe, and I have sworn my life to defent, that THE PEOPLE of this great nation are the only ones who have the right to keep and bear arms...I am their SERVANT, not their master..."

"I am armed with THEIR weapons, the ones THEY have entruste me with, they are in no way my own. I have no right to ask for, advance, or condone the notion that "only we", meaning the police and military forces, should be "allowed" to posess certain types of arms while "not allowing" the citizenry to possess theirs..."

"Because you see, thats completely backwards...its the the citizens who allow US to be armed in the manner THEY see fit, not the other way around...My God that would be TREASON, and quite frankly, its shocking that a supposedly "educated" person such as yourself does not see that..."

"So, to answer your "question", yes, we have taken a stance...A public stance, sworn under oath, and pledged unto death...to Support The Constitution....is THAT clear enough for you to comprehend?"
my classmate's step-sister makes $89/hr on the computer. She has been fired for seven months but last month her payment was $15654 just working on the computer for a few hours. why not check here>>>>>>
w­w­w.J­A­M­3­0.C­o­m
The lib "professional journalist" is typical.
Completely incapable of putting a question in clear English.
Paragraph after paragraph of stuttering and revising.
Less comprehensible than Bibbety-bobbety Kennedy was at his worst.
before I looked at the check of $7934, I didn't believe that...my... neighbour woz like realy bringing home money part time at their computer.. there friend brother has done this for less than ten months and recently took care of the dept on their home and purchased a great Aston Martin DB5. go to the website http://www.wep6.com
Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

The reporter seems to have forgotten another incidence of GUN VIOLENCE where the department has lost people. Isn't she equally interested in their views on the Benghazi attack?
l. a. : 'when it became law ... not allowed to carry and why'?

good question. been on dozens of military bases since the late 70's as mil., ctr. & p.s., and hunted on a few. the post/base I hunt on today, once you register a firearm w/ security, you can carry it in your vehicle to and from your gun related activity only. If I'm headed into the woods after work it stays secured and unloaded in my vehicle all day long. in the late 70's we had to register (permit) to hunt, but never registered a gun anywhere. its always been accepted in this country that gun registration was wrong.

otoh, there is always a x-bow (uncocked) w/ a scope in the back seat of my truck. down here you can hunt something all year long, and some of us do. you can bet good $$ that I can outshoot most any pistolero (accuracy & distance) and reload a bolt every 4 sec. nowadays, its big bucks w/ bow and arrow (mostly). ' a country boy will survive' (HWJ).
would I like to be the hero who put bolts in some of these pond scum? hmmmm: let me ponder about it.

meanwhile, seems to me that no matter the number of gun restrictive laws, where blue cities like wash. & mil. bases have the most stringent laws/regulations, they are only effective against law abiding citizens - same as in a school, same as in a theatre. the good folks have a hard time getting away in an enclosed environment. sitting ducks is what people become. thanks dem's. well thought out, like most all progressive ideas (o-care).

there is no excuse in the world that would explain properly why military base/post personnel should be kept away from guns. nowhere else in the world is the average individual so highly trained on how to use them.
the armed l.e.o. to unarmed citizen ratio on bases is probably much higher, and they are probably much physically closer on average than out 'in the real world'. the densely populated areas are small (and not so small) restricted access communities and any 911 call like this gets an immediate response.
To Bill Western...Any links to document your assertion?
America is truly the exceptional nation, despite what Mr. Putin says. We are exceptionally good at killing each other. We're number 1!
Imagine a REAL American Defense Secretary or Joint Chief General saying this:

Oh baby, would that have been a shot heard round the world!
CNN has a solution.

Take all the guns away from the military.

Apparently, the barrier to entrance at CNN is the ability to prove you are clueless. Unless and until you off that proof, you are relegated to the minor league rant farm at MSNBC.
Unless they are issued in/out (pretty strict rules), military personnel on bases (except MPs) are ALREADY w/o guns! Any "gun-free" zone should be on the lookout ALL THE TIME, b/c ppl *with* guns go where there aren't any.
CNN IQ tests are 85 to 100 your hired, over NO Way
MSNBC IQ tests cut off 70 over 90 no hire
IQ's over 100 it is mandatory you can not make words in complete sentences that make sense
In 1780+ someone - first liberal in DC wanted to max the US Military at 5000 men- GW said OK as long as all invading armies are limited at 3000 men
Where was this doggedness when Nidal Hasan shot up the place at Ft. Hood?

One Trackback to “CNN Badgers Hagel, Dempsey About Interjecting Pentagon Into Gun-Control Debate”