The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

September 1, 2013 - 11:23 am

A high school art teacher recreated an exhibit by a revolutionary Communist from 1989 that has the entire town of Paducah, Kentucky, up in arms.

1-3

Fox News report:

Students at a Kentucky high school were encouraged to step on an American flag that had been placed on the floor as part of an art display, outraging parents and students.

The display at McCracken County High School, was a re-creation of “Dread” Scott Tyler’s 1989 installation titled “The Proper Way to Display an American Flag.”

A photograph shows a music stand on top of the flag that had been placed in a hallway, in a story first reported by Kathleen Fox, a reporter with The Paducah Sun.

As part of the art exhibit, students were encouraged to stand on the flag and write their reflections on how they felt standing on the flag.

Local residents filled social networking sites with their outrage over the flag desecration with many calling for the art teacher to be fired.

“The teacher should be fired and run out of town,” wrote one outraged Paducah resident. “I have a son serving to protect this flag at this very moment.”

“It is a sad day when the symbol of this great nation is relegated to occupy the floor,” a reader wrote. “It is a truly sorrowful day when the one who placed it there has the nerve to ask, ‘How does it make you feel?’”

“I doubt this teacher intended the disrespect her art project exhibited,” one reader wrote. “But nonetheless, it was really a despicable assignment.”

Art teacher Shand Stamper has since apologized for the controversial art display – telling The Paducah Sun that it was not a specifically assigned project. The newspaper reported she sent a written letter of apology to school administrators.

“I love our flag and the nation it stands for. I love the freedom I enjoy because of our brave veterans. I feel sick and deeply sad that through my actions I have dishonored these men and women and also poorly represented you all,” she wrote in a letter obtained by the newspaper. “(To say) I am devastated by my actions bringing outrage and negativity on you is a gross understatement.”

It turns out that this exhibit is rather famous — in some artistic quarters. Dread Scott Tyler, a self-described revolutionary Communist, created it when he was a student at the Art Institute of Chicago. What deep thoughts attended this artistic gem?

I made some forays and experiments into installation work for audience participation because I wanted to do artwork people couldn’t just dismiss the politics of. Whether they liked it or didn’t like it, whether they agreed with me or didn’t agree with me, I wanted them to have some engagement with the work. So even if they thought, “this guy’s a real assh*le and he has no clue what he’s talking about,” I wanted them to be very much bound up with saying, “this guy’s a real assh*le and he has no clue what he’s talking about.” And have that be part of the work. I started doing these works that had photo montages on the walls, and encouraged people to take a copy and explain why they chose to take it in the book below. So it was this participatory piece. I started doing these, and I kind of thought they were successful.

Yes, Mr. Tyler. You’re a real assh*le and don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

I challenge the art teacher to do the following assignment next, if she wants to get a response: have people stand on a Koran. I dare her.
For grits and shins, forget ideology. She should be fired for appalling lack of judgment.
Next thing you know, she'll try to start a charcoal fire with a gallon of gasoline.
No, Firing her is appropriate. She obviously does not understand and share deep-seated American values. She does not feel the same sense of connection between our flag and what it represents to us. Not having these values, she cannot possible instill them in our children. She is not qualified to teach. At least not in this country.
She should be fired—our expression of free speech.

Having an education does not exempt anyone from being a fool—she may have just been stupid. But no one wants someone stupid teaching their children. If you watch CNN and MSNBC enough, and have never been taught that values and morals are not subjective and relativistic, you begin to think that stunts like this are valid and powerful ways to express "feelings".

Or she could be a progressive commie.

HELLO! Art teachers are trained to do exactly what you see here.

"Big Ideas" and "Social Justice" were a large part of the K-12 art-teacher training at ULL in the mid 2000s. (Which means it was much more prevalent everywhere else in the country.) Most teachers never push it to this extreme, but find ways for kids to bare their souls and shed the barriers to leftist brainwashing.

Also, many "Art Assignments" involve the rehash of a famous artwork.

"Deconstructionism" is rampant with this bunch also: redefine anything anyway you would like, a la Karl Marx. But this flag thing was no deconstruction, it was a pure copy and repeat of a vile trick.
How about an "art" project where the students piss on a group photo of the school administration?

Aren't we all sick of Marxist propaganda masquerading as "art" in our schools and society? I am.
She's probably a Very Nice Lady who just does not get it. Of course, being a Very Nice Lady doesn't justify anything, but calling her a 'skank' is desultory and disrespectful. If she has the sense to be offended by that appellation, then she'll start getting it about the flag.....;>..........
Nice people don't deliberately insult my country, and encourage others to do so. The country that feeds her useless arse, BTW.

So, yes, I am disrespecting the skank.
I suggest for an art project that we trample rainbow flags, burn "HOPE" posters, and write our reflections on how it feels to make fun of fools and false gods by desecrating their symbols.
Put in your ear plugs, so you can survive the screaming and shrieking!
Here is the kicker. That high school has been open for all of two weeks. It is a consolidation of three schools each of which had its distinct culture. 2 pf the 3 schools didn't want to consolidate and the parents from the more conservative of the two probably went crazy when this happened . The teacher has no future at this school
the art teacher should take the place of the flag and be trampled by the entire population of Paducah.
Ms. Standard should be sent to sensitivity training in the form of Flag Etiquette, preferably taught by the local VFW chapter. Flags that tough the ground are to be burned in a specific ritual. We had one such ritual for old, faded, and tattered flags in my home town this summer. It was movingly performed by a color guard from local reservists units.
No, you are not REQUIRED to burn a flag that has touched the ground, and there is no specific ritual. Worn out flags are to be disposed of by burning in a respectful manner. Many organizations, the VFW, Boy Scouts, etc do perform flag destruction rituals, but they are not particularly uniform.

Sadly, there is no specific ritual for dealing with flag desecrators. I would suggest something involving a wooden post and a bullwhip. And maybe some salt.

The Flag is a symbol of our country, and to be treated with respect. It is not an idol to be worshiped.
The usual methods of retiring a US flag that has been desecrated or worn beyond any further usefulness mirrors how Bibles and other sacred objects were disposed of in medieval churches by priests. Either they were burned in a new fire used only for the purpose of incinerating the sacred objects and the ashes buried, preferably on holy ground in a cemetery or church grounds, or they were just buried on holy ground. It was, as you say, a matter of respect, not idolatry.
That's a telling point - they can't tell venerable respect apart from idol worship. It shows what simple and childlike minds they are, and THAT doesn't seem to bother much because 'simple' and 'childlike' means 'authentic' and 'individual' to them. Hey, I know...... instead of trying to bring pro-american values into public school which may be an uphill battle, conservatives should try to infiltrate and take over the avant-garde art world. Flank manoeuvre if there ever was one.......;>>.....
I propose a solution similar to the one I have for stolen valor liars.

Make flag desecration an affirmative defense for charges of assault against any active duty or honorably discharged veteran.

You get to express your opinion of the flag, and I get to express my opinion of you.
I like your idea too much for it to ever become a law.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “High School ‘Art Project’ Asks Students to Stand on American Flag”