The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

August 17, 2013 - 9:16 am

Good news. President Obama has vastly expanded the concept of “rights” in America by decree. He told a radio audience in his weekly address that health insurance is now a “right” that every American enjoys:

Your health insurance isn’t something to play politics with. Our economy isn’t something to play politics with. This isn’t a game. This is about the economic security of millions of families.

See, in the states where governors and legislatures and insurers are working together to implement this law properly – states like California, New York, Colorado and Maryland – competition and consumer choice are actually making insurance affordable.

So I’m going to keep doing everything in my power to make sure this law works as it’s supposed to. Because in the United States of America, health insurance isn’t a privilege – it is your right. And we’re going to keep it that way.

Before we get to whether a commercial product is actually a “right,” perhaps we should explain what the president forgot to mention when he said he was “doing everything in my power to make sure the law works as it’s supposed to.”

The truth is, the president is doing everything in his power — as well as claiming powers he doesn’t possess. By unilaterally waiving some requirements of Obamacare without congressional consent, the president is basically ruling by decree. He is claiming executive authority to make law — a dubious, and dangerous, precedent. He is doing so because implementing the law as written would add to the chaos surrounding the law already present at the state and federal levels.

And to say that insurance is “affordable” in states that are cooperating with him is an outright lie. Just because premiums are going to increase at a slower rate than expected doesn’t make insurance any more “affordable” for anyone. If it wasn’t “affordable” before Obamacare, why should an increase in premiums mean it’s more “affordable now”?

In fact, this study by the National Center for Public Policy Research shows the economic advantages to “young invincibles” of not purchasing insurance under the individual mandate:

Millions of young people could save hundreds of dollars a year by avoiding Obamacare’s insurance exchanges and paying the penalty, a new report examining the law’s financial incentives finds.

About 3.7 million people between the 18 and 34 years old will save at least over $500 next year if they do not buy health insurance through the exchanges, according to the study by National Center for Public Policy Research health care policy analyst David Hogberg. Of those, just over 3 million will save over $1,000 per year.

While the law has put in place two primary incentives to encourage people to buy insurance—subsidies and the individual mandate—these are not enough to make the subsidies economically worthwhile for many young people, Hogberg contends.

The report highlights a weakness with the structure of the Obamacare exchanges. If the exchanges are unable to attract enough younger people, the insurance pool will shrink and the premiums will rise, setting off a “death spiral” and potentially leading to a collapse of the exchanges.

“You need enough of these [young] people in the exchanges to in effect cross-subsidize people who are older and sicker,” Hogberg said in an interview with the Free Beacon.

The financial incentive to avoid the exchanges will be even greater in 2014 because the penalty for not buying insurance will be higher in subsequent years, the report said. The penalty in 2014 will be either $95 or one percent of one’s income, whichever is greater. This penalty will rise to $695 or 2.5 percent by 2016.

While the “Affordable Care Act” was originally designed to make health insurance more affordable, even those close to the poverty line can save over $500 by not buying insurance in 2014, the report noted. The $500 savings for an 18 year old starts at 163 percent of the poverty line and for a 30 year old at 178 percent. In 2016 the level will rise to closer to 300 percent.

There will be some people for whom buying insurance will be economically rational, Hogberg explained, but not many.

“For some people the subsidy will cover most of the cost of a bronze plan, and even when it doesn’t cover the full cost, it may cover enough so that forgoing the insurance and paying the fine is not the rational way to go,” he said.

According to Obama's logic, this never ends. If health insurance is a "right", then is not food an even greater "right"? Hell, you can go for quite a while without health insurance but you'll be gone in a month without food. You could go on to the point of absurdity finding, and granting, other "rights". And if you're a Democrat, you will. We are literally on the verge of entering Dr. Zhivago territory.
"a president who decrees rights that are not stated or implied in the Constitution is treading on dangerous ground"
----------------------
Dangerous for whom? Obama doesn't seem to be in any peril. The rest of us, yes.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
what Valerie implied I can't believe that some people able to earn $9818 in 4 weeks on the computer. did you see this web link Go to site and open Home for details
>>>>>> http://WWW.JOBS87.COM
IRS employee union: We don’t want Obamacare BY: Joel Gehrke July 25, 2013

I wonder if Obama even cares about the health plan we're stuck with. He favors the single-payer, government-operated system. When Obamacare falls flat and kills itself, he will advocate the single-payer system to replace it. His low-information voter support system will back him and that plan. It's the plan he really wanted in the first place.
Actually, those traditional rights were freedom from intrusions by the state, not the freedom to be forced by the state into an intimate, warm, nurturing commercial relationship with Blue Shield so one can get anal probed by the super duper pooper snooper on a cost plus contract. It's never fascism when the democrats do it. Remember, in San Francisco it's not torture when you say yes, it's called the right to some B and D.
Obama was SUPPOSED to be an adjunct professor of constitutional law. I've always questioned his mental ability but I also question his comprehension now. Whoever is calling the shots doesn't have the best interests of American voters at heart.

I find language such as this to be unhelpful and extremely Visigothy. After all, Obama is a good man. After all, you wrote such things several years back when Obama's designs were apparent to everyone. Well, except you, course.
This President has been treading on dangerous ground ever since he was elected. When is the needed great awakening coming, from the rest in government, to stop the descent into total totalitarianism/authoritarianism. Or are they all just jockeying for their place in the "new order".
What really scares me is the people that are going to be taking your personal information when you apply for 'AHCA' are not subject to background checkes. I'm waiting to see how much personal identification gets released to criminal types and how many people loose everything they have worked for.

In case anyone thinks that is 'paranoid', my wife's social security number was lifted by someone working in a doctor's office. A Best Buy credit card was applied for and they attempted to open an account with a rent to own furniture/appliance store. Thank God we have i.d. theft protection, we were contacted within 12 hours of the applications and were able to stop it.
You can scoff at this or try to argue against it using fact, reason and logic all you like, but it makes no difference. With Obama and his cabal you are dealing with malevolent predators. These people are like drug dealers who give out free samples in order to get people hooked and come back for more. Instead of money changing hands to buy the drugs after they are hooked, it's their vote. They know perfectly well that their are hordes of people ready to succomb to their predation and you won't be able to talk any of them out of submitting to it as a matter of principle.
Well stated!!
If IN FACT, Obama & his minions actually CARED about the state of healthcare, for PATIENTS, for example, they would LISTEN to what we need. Last year I was in the battle of my life against ovarian cancer,all while both Hubby & I were unemployed. As Hubby was draining our IRA, I was laying in bed in agonizing pain, (pain pills don't work on me, not NSAIDS & not opiates). I was CERTAIN that we would not owe any taxes last year, but I was wrong!! Our "income" amounted to $6,000.00, (3 Freelance Gigs for Hubby & 3 Social Security Disability Checks for me). Our "out of pocket" medical expenses totaled $15,000.00. We took $44,000.00 from our IRA (in stages, since we didn't know what to expect or when). On this equation, (with the current laws in place), we owe over $800.00. IF they wanted to HELP me, how about giving us the following: 1) A "5 year moratorium"...that is...5 years to repay our IRA with no penalties & interest. 2) Let us deduct EVERY DIME we spent on health care, (not all money spent AFTER reaching 10% of our income). 3) Let us write off what is pent "in pursuit" of good health...i.e. my gym membership, bicycle, hiking boots, ALL the Organic Produce I buy, ALL the Vitamin/Mineral Supplements I buy, etc. I would be willing to have a physical that included things like a BMI test to submit with my tax return, IF I could write off these preventative measures I take? However, in my wildest dreams, (while we are actually dreaming of things that WOULD actually BENEFIT the middle class) how about we just ABOLISH THE IRS? That would make me happy enough I expect I would remain in remission the rest of my life!! :)
1 2 3 4 Next View All