The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

July 16, 2013 - 3:21 pm

Liz Cheney announced today that she will primary GOP Sen. Mike Enzi (Wyo.).

“I am running because I know, as a mother and a patriot, we can no longer afford simply to go along to get along. We can’t continue business as usual in Washington,” Cheney, the 46-year-old elder daughter of the former vice president, said in a statement.

Enzi, 69, just announced his bid for a fourth term, and had an unusual reaction when asked about the challenge by reporters.

“She said that if I ran, she wasn’t going to run…I thought we were friends,” Enzi said, according to ABC.

“Thirty minutes after I put out a release saying I intend to run, she put out one saying she was running. She’s watching pretty closely,” he added.

Cheney bought a house in Wyoming just last year, moving from Virginia. She also released a video announcing her run:

YouTube Preview Image

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

She's a neocon and rino and carpetbagger all rolled into one neat little electable package.
I love the history re-write going on here....you hear so much Bush-bashing in the msm and it just catches on everywhere I suppose.... Look, Bush-Cheney spent too much money and expanded government, no doubt, but for Pete's sake do not even try to compare either one of them to the marxist revolutionaries currently sitting in the White Mosque. Bush NEVER tried to install himself as emperor while taking control of the WHOLE country simultaneously wiping his a$$ with the Constitution....c'mon, please...Liz Cheney will (I hope or we'll get rid of her too) stand up to the msm and the treasonous dems to restore order and protect our nation: Impeach our Dear Leader, kick Huma and her ilk out of the country much less the State Dept and FBI, arrest Holder/Clinton/Napolitano/Sebelius et al, and tell the mooslim bruthahood to kiss our bacon and Boston Butt eating American a$$....and that's just before lunch.

Remember BENGHAZI!
The problem, BarocheDique, is that ultimately the Bushes of the world end up enabling the Reids, Pelosis and Obamas. George W. Bush probably loves his country a lot more than Obama does, but his actions and accomodations with the Left were still disastrous.

Liz Cheney grew up and thrived in the extremely corrupt DC swamp. Maybe she deserves a chance, but the country won't improve as long as this DC club has so much power.
I'm not trying to compare the two, I'm just saying that before Obama, the expansion of federal power increased the most under Bush. Before Bush, the expansion of federal power increased the most under Clinton.

The last four presidents that we have had have all expanded the federal bureaucracy. I agree, Obama makes the others look like constitutionalists. Ask yourself this, if not for Obama's predecessors gradually expanding federal overreach and spending, would Obama have been as successful as he has been at federal expansion?
I do not disagree with either point (E & KA), but compared to the marxist mooslim we have now, Bush was Lincoln, Jackson and Reagan combined...the republicans under Bush without doubt expanded spending and government, no argument here and my posts have consistently bashed all previous presidents who have done the same. But, never before, not even Bubba for God's sake, have we had a sitting president so hell bent on HURTING our country, not helping. W. did a lot of bad things, but I never believed he was deliberately trying to hurt us.....Obama, well, I think its pretty obvious.

Remember BENGHAZI!
Did you all sleep through the Bush administration or something? Her father was a key component of policies that have destroyed the Republican party.

Why on earth would anyone vote for her? Even putting aside that she's not actually from there.

Do you want more of that compassionate conservatism? That grew the size and scope of government more than any other administration besides Obama?

Do you want the police state that currently exists to stay? Are you okay with drones? Well, then vote for her.

Not to mention more pointless wars in the Middle East.
Do I like Liz Cheney? Not particularly. Nor do I dislike her. Same goes for Enzi. Is he a RINO? No. So, do I think this is a good thing? You betcha. The dude is 69. Retire, already! I am tired of these guys hanging on into their dotage and even dying in office of old age. I propose a constitutional amendment: If you are over 65, you cannot run for any public office. In fact, if you are 66, you must retire.

Yes, I know Reagan was older. While he was good for the country, the bad far outweighs the benefit of the occasional Reagan. Clear out these old geezers, because the good ones have the decency to remove themselves, and the bad ones stay on forever.
Full disclosure, Wyoming resident.

I'm not a fan of Mike Enzi, indeed I called him out during his latest visit to my state for doing his best to avoid his constituents on his "listening" tour.

Liz Cheney is not a citizen of Wyoming. Until this last year, she was a resident of Virginia. She is running in Wyoming to capitalize on her father's name and that Republicans rarely lose in the general election.

Dick Cheney was the Vice President during the creation of such wonderful federal bureaucracies such as the DHS and the TSA. At the time, he helped to oversee the largest expansion of federal spending and power we had seen (since eclipsed by Obama). Liz is his heir apparent, so is this actually a good thing?

On the plus side, the Democrats have been calling Dick Cheney evil for so long that they are unlikely to want Liz Cheney's support on any of their projects. Just look at how Obama reacted when Dick Cheney supported his policy of spying on Americans...
I find the practice of political carpetbagging, started in my lifetime by Bobby Kennedy when he ran for the Senate in NY, to be disturbing and dishonest.

Of course, if Ms Cheney were to get elected from Wyoming and immediately introduce a senate bill to repeal the 17th Amendment, I would forgive her all of her political hackery road show antics.
That's what I don't get. All the terrible stuff Obama has done, started under Bush and Cheney.

That's why I find it hilarious today that lefties love Obama, since he was so much like Bush, and so many on the right loathe Obama, despite being so much like Bush. A few people have woken up and seen how terrible Bush was, but apparently not enough.
The answer to your conundrum is easy: Obama is the epitome of everything that was bad about Bush with nothing good to offset it. Bush was far left of great - that's true. But, Obama sees the few good policies and principles of Bush as "the problem" with his Presidency and doubles down on everything that actually kept him from leaving a favorable legacy.
Good points, Kenshu Ani. I don't see Liz Cheney as some kind of Tea-Party-like savior. She's very much a DC insider, no matter what words she uses.

And good Lord, we've got to get away from all this nepotism in politics and other areas. Angelo Codevilla hit the nail on the head about the ruling classes that we're plagued with.
It's got nothing to do with "being friends", Senator. It has everything to do with "sitting on your butt and going along to get along." No more compromising (aka: surrender/caving in) on principle(s) just to appease the dems and hope the msm will like you/us. Notice to other weak republicans - you may face primary opposition as well. You rock on, Liz.

Remember BENGHAZI!

One Trackback to “Liz Cheney to Challenge Sen. Enzi in Wyoming GOP Primary”