The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

July 14, 2013 - 5:52 am

Tristan Breaux, president of the Norfok chapter of the NAACP, is being asked to step down because of a mildly critical remark about Trayvon Martin he left on his personal Facebook page.

The Facebook entry is from Friday, before the Zimmerman verdict of “not guilty” was delivered.

WAVY.com:

“To the majority of the African-American community, I would find it offensive,” said Norfolk City Councilman Paul Riddick.

Tristan Breaux, 25, was sworn in as president of the Norfolk NAACP in January. He is the youngest president in the branch’s history, but members of the organization are calling for him to step down.

“He obviously does not have the maturity when to speak and when not to speak,” Riddick added.

The controversy started Friday morning. Breaux’s posted a comment on his personal Facebook page about the George Zimmerman trial. The remark quickly spread.

“My initial reaction was that it wasn’t true, that somebody had gone on his Facebook and had planted this,” Riddick said. “I just couldn’t imagine the president of the Norfolk branch of the NAACP making a statement like that.”

“I wonder why it is that we are always willing to say someone who clearly had a shaky past, was the victim,” Breaux asked in the Facebook post, referring to Trayvon Martin.

Rawls says he is worried how the statement reflects on fellow members.

“If he had been talking to another person or two or three people and voiced his personal opinion that’s different,” Rawls added. “When you put it on social media so somebody in Florida, California, Oregon or New York is reading, this, that is wrong.”

The post went on to ask if people are blinded to why Trayvon was staying with his dad and why he wasn’t at home at at time of the shooting.

Poor Mr. Breaux. He is finding out that hard way the consequences of thinking for oneself. By straying from the dominant narrative about Trayvon Martin — an innocent teenager shot by a racist gun nut — Mr. Breaux is experiencing a backlash from the guardians of groupthink.

God forbid that blacks in Florida, or California, or New York would get the idea that all the Norfolk NAACP members have been infected with this heretical opinion. Ergo, Mr. Breaux must go.

In answer to Mr. Breaux’s thoughtful questions, the reason the “black leadership” constantly plays the victim card is because that’s how their constituents want to be seen. Being actual victims of racism apparently isn’t enough for many in the black community. The narrative must be stretched to the breaking point in order to include members of the community who create victims as well. This sort of mindless solidarity unites the community and reinforces the notion that the world is against them and that safety is to be found only in unanimity of thought and opinion.

Mr. Breaux’s major sin appears to be that his individualism embarrassed his fellow Norfolk NAACP members. By their lights, Mr. Breaux may indeed have committed a serious enough breach to deserve removal or forced resignation. But stepping back and viewing his comments in context, the agitation for Breaux’s scalp says a lot more about his detractors than it does about one thoughtful rebel.

Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

Back when I was a teenager I got yelled at in class because I said that if you don't teach the kids to hate then they won't hate. Everybody will be the same. My teacher said that they HAD to teach children how horrible white people were to black people. And I said that just keeps everybody mad at each other. Everybody acted like I grew another head.

As I've gotten older I kept waiting for it to just go away - but it has gotten worse and worse over the years.

They never will let it go though - too much money and political power involved.
The NAACP has devolved into a fascist organization, where no outside the narrative thoughts are permitted. And that mentality is creeping into mainstream society.

Steel yourselves.
Until blacks display the courage of Mr. Breaux, and start asking themselves the hard questions, they'll always end up as "victims".
I too have wondered the same thing prole.
"“I think this should be tried in the courtroom and not on social media,” said former Norfolk NAACP President Bob Rawls."

And he said it with no shame, no awareness of the pure hypocrisy of his statement.

Exactly Mark!
To Tristan Breaux I say Bravo, sir. You will find a job some place where you will be able to do some concrete good in the black community that lives in the thug and gubmint assistance culture. The NAACP cares only for enriching its coffers, and cares nothing for the poor it purports to represent.
This is a point that I made in another thread on the Zimmerman trial...Everyone said that Zimmerman should have stayed in his car and just dialed 911. Well...this is exactly what everyone else in the community did...and Martin was shot and killed. If anyone of those witnesses had gone out that night and pulled Martin off of Zimmerman, or at least gone out there and let Zimmerman know people were there to help...he wouldn't have felt the need to use deadly force. However, John Good, Mrs. Sydeka, and the Minaloos...they did what everyone says Zimmerman should have done...they stayed in their homes and called 911...and Martin died. John Good for example saw the two fighting. He called out for the two of them to stop, and when Martin continued beating Zimmerman, as per Good's account, Good stayed inside, closed his door and went to retrieve his phone...and then the gun shot rang out. If anyone had stepped out and perhaps at least tried to intervene...instead of doing what a lot of people advised Zimmerman should have done...Martin would probably be alive today...
Agree!
A deeply heartfelt message to Mr. Breaux from the English historian and theologian Thomas Fuller (1608-1661): "It is always darkest just before the day dawnest." This message from me: God bless you and keep you and thank you for your clear-sighted honesty, which will be appreciated someday.
and on the talk shows today the libs/blacks were trying to tell us that Trayvon did nothing wrong and he just was having skittles and ice tea.

In the real world, beating a person to a bloody pulp is not doing nothing wrong, it is called a felony criminal assault.

And if only he was eating his skittles and drinking his ice tea, his hands would have been full but no, he wasn't eating skittles and having ice tea, he was pummeling another human being, to the point of fear for his life.
Bill Cosby was scolded by the blacks for saying it is about time that they did more for their children than buy them expensive shoes and leave them alone, that they needed to be parents for their children.
This criticism is nothing new. Remember when the beloved Bill Cosby, back in 2009, said that the black community needed to do some soul searching about its own failures and that many of its problems were self inflicted? The blowback he got was intense.

Here's what he said, if you forget or haven't yet read it.

Same exact phenomenon as this poor NAACP guy is going through now
Yes he didn't refer to him as a "child," the approved buzzword. In reality he was a "youth." And is anyone tracking down who owns the pieces of jewellery that he was caught with along with a burglar's tool at school? If he didn't steal them he was fencing.
I wondered the same thing myself.
Now the torch must pass from the old generation of race hustlers to a younger Black leadership grown up in fully-integrated schools in a nation where African-Americans are routinely celebrated as among our greatest figures in sports, entertainment, business, and politics. The "race war" is over, and both sides won, if we will just admit this victory to each other.

They never will let it go though - too much money and political power involved.
"Back when I was a teenager I got yelled at in class because I said that if you don't teach the kids to hate then they won't hate."

Weird idea, there, Miss Lollly.

My children have been taught that racism is wrong. They enjoy their black friends, yellow friends, brown friends, whatever friends. They don't hate based on skin color.

But then, they have never been personally exposed to the ghetto, Trayvon Martin sort of black person.

I hope their values are cemented and strong enough to withstand that encounter, because it will come some day. I hope they continue to recognize the content of character does not depend on the color of the skin.

The ghetto racist industry sure works hard to make sure people don't do that.
1 2 3 Next View All