The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

May 28, 2013 - 2:05 pm

Last time President Obama and Gov. Chris Christie strolled along the Jersey shore together, the chill of fall was in the air. Now it’s summertime, the state is getting back on its feet after Hurricane Sandy, and it’s time for the rekindling of the bromance.

Christie waited for Obama at the base of Air Force One’s stairs in a light drizzle, sans umbrella, according to the White House pool report. Obama jogged down the steps to shake the governor’s hand and give him a bro slap on the shoulder.

The pair beamed as they shook hands along a rope line, then headed to Point Pleasant. A man with an anti-Obama sign gave the motorcade the finger as it rolled past.

Obama and Christie chatted with a sand-castle designer looking to break a Guinness record, then moved on to the arcade where Christie won Obama a stuffed bear with a Chicago Bears sweatshirt in a game where you throw a football through a tire. Obama tried to win on his own but missed a few times before Christie scored on his first try, reminiscent of Sen. Saxby Chambliss’ hole-in-one versus Obama on the Andrews Air Force Base golf course.

The president high-fived and clasped hands with Christie after the bear win. “That’s because he’s running for office,” he said.

The pair lingered on the drizzly boardwalk while the press pool was sent back to the holding vans.

“Governor Christie and I just spent some time on the Point Pleasant boardwalk,” Obama subsequently told a crowd at Asbury Park. “I got a chance to see the world’s tallest sandcastle being built. We played some Touchdown Fever — I got to say, Christie got it in the tire the first try — although I did pay for his throws. I played a little Frog Bog, and Governor Christie’s kids taught me the right technique for hitting the hammer to get those frogs in the buckets the way I was supposed to. And, of course, I met with folks who are still rebuilding after Sandy.”

On Air Force One en route to New Jersey, White House press secretary Jay Carney was asked what the relationship between Christie and Obama is like.

“I wouldn’t want to speak for Governor Christie,” Carney said. “I know that the president has respect for Governor Christie and for his efforts on behalf of the citizens of New Jersey, and has found that focus to be key in creating the kind of coordination between federal, state and local entities that is so important when you have to recover from a storm like Sandy.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

The President of the USA is President of all 50 states and every American - not just the blue or purple states and the people that voted for him. Obama's callous disregard to states like Texas is in striking contrast to his overt reactions to the blue/purple states. He is after all handing out money from the coffers that we all donate to.
Well, I'm glad that the NJ folks are doing better, but don't think for one second that Barky O'Bama would have been doing these photo ops in NJ (or rushing aid there), hurricane or no hurricane, if it was a deep red GOP state. Just ask the folks in Kentucky (post-ice storm) or Texas (post-drought/wildfires) from a few years back. He acted as if he didn't know they were part of the U.S. Christie can kiss on him all he wants; he's dead to me already for the campaign ad he cut for Obama last fall and for being a big time gun-grabber. He won't sink any lower on my list if he and Barky end up getting married.
I was wondering why Obama went from against gay marriage to for it and why Michelle refereed to herself as a single mom. We may now well have the answer.
A nibble on the ear and a box of Krispy Kremes and Christie swoons and blushes. Disgusting display. I guess Obama is a "Chubby Chaser."
When the "Big One" hits California, and Obama and Jerry Brown are doin' it in the streets, it'll be an all out orgy; we'll all have to get tested.
Laurel and Hardy do the boardwalk.
Who's going to tell Reggie? Seriously, I dunno about the Gov, time will tell if he has national appeal. Delighted that NJ is making a recovery, hope the rebuilding continues to go well.
Just wondering - did they have a smoke after?
Ugh. I think I'm gonna be sick.
I sincerely hope this site's publication guidelines will spare us having to read any of the gory details about the post-appearance sexual romp that the two of them had?
Nothing like a spineless RINO bending over to kiss the rear of the usurper in chief. Any Republican who votes for such a low-life deserves exactly what he gets.
I'll be the lone dissenter who doesn't have a problem with their bromance. The Jersey shore was destroyed by a natural disaster and hundreds of small businesses are open for business after working their butts off all winter and spring to get ready for the one season that brings them income. What better way for Christie to bring attention to these businesses than to invite Obama to see the sights?

I spent time volunteering on the coast and frankly, it broke my heart. So yeah, I'm over it. Christie is doing what he thinks is best for his state. Good for him.
The governor of any state has an obligation to his citizens to act in their best interests. Sometimes that means dealing with a President of another party, and sometimes even with a President who is despicable.

In such a case, it is expected that the Governor will conduct himself respectfully toward that President, and treat him with the courtesy that is due to the office, and to extend every cooperation that is appropriate to the situation.

I don't think any reasonable person would have had any problem with Christie acting in that manner.

That's not what he did.

He fell all over himself, in an almost slobbering love-fest that would have been over the top even if the President had been one of his own party and had actually done something extraordinary.

If the fact that New Jersey got aid is all you care about, and you don't care how it got it, then YOU are a large part of what is wrong in this country.
Um, no. The fact that Jersey got aid is not what I care about. I care about the region becoming economically viable again after a devastating disaster, and Christie was promoting the hard work of the people of NJ in a way that got the most exposure over Memorial day weekend.

What difference, at the point, does it make?
(Couldn't resist)
Leaving aside any possibility of self-interest, perhaps Christie IS doing what he thinks is best for his state. Which makes him a great New Jerseyan but a terrible American. Any support for Obama (and there's no objective way to look at Christie's behavior as NOT supportive of Obama) is a disservice to America. Obama is out to destroy America and neither leftist denial nor liberal cluelessness changes that not a bit.
I get it, and believe me, Obama's disregard of disasters is color blind. Sandy victims have been devastated and Obama hasn't done anything special for them versus victims anywhere else in the country.
Be nice ... Obama doesn't know what's going on; heck, he's not responsible for planning his own perpetual campaign schedule! Perpetual power is all he's thinking about and it's very, very demanding and exhausting. Obama is not the one that picks and chooses winners and losers here ... it just looks that way!
Whoa...who said anything about rushing aid? Are you joking? The aid for NY/NJ took just as long to get as anywhere else. And it was COLD, so please spare me the partisan crap. I was merely saying that I do not fault Christie for looking out for his own.
And spare me the sactimony. Those appearances were nothing but partisan BS...and free campaign ads for Barky last fall and now something to fill the news with instead of the 2 or 3 dozen scandals his administration is up to its ears in. As for "rushing aid"...at least you got aid there. That counts as damn fast compared to the aid that never freakin' showed up in the places that I mentioned. So yeah, I blame Christie for acting like a cheap hooker handing out freebies to his boyfriend. Deal with it.
Aid 'never freakin' showed up'? Really?

""We have had tremendous and quick response from President Obama and his administration," Beshear said Monday. "I don't think any of our folks that have dealt with disasters before ever recall as quick a response as we got last Wednesday."

If you want me to pay any attention to a citation, then you'll have to do better than ones from Obama's personal propaganda ministry at NBC.
If a direct quote from the governor of the state isn't good enough for you, you're not worth my time.
jmarie,

You again aren't seeing the forest for the trees per David.. comment.

I take it Beshear's a Blue Dog Democrat? Hardly!

Beshear said inasmuch per Uhblame-O's ahem, 'ice storm response' for his party and his pinhead Illiberal CiC only. Period.

To bill his p*ss poor response, for that's what it was - is pure hokum.
Oh I get that Beshear is democrat. I was simply calling David out on his BS claim that aid 'never freakin' showed up'. Regardless of what the Governor said, and which news outlet printed the quote, David's assertion about aid to states is still BS.

Many NY, NJ and CT Sandy victims are still mired in red tape and have not been adequately assisted and I'm sure many affected by the Kentucky Ice Storms and Texas wildfires were inadequately assisted by the feds as well, but what Christie is doing is marketing his state's coastal economy, which relies heavily on tourist dollars. Sorry, but I am not such a partisan that I want to see small businesses suffer any more than they have to.
1 2 Next View All

2 Trackbacks to “Bromance Is Forever: Christie Wins Obama a Stuffed Teddy Bear on Boardwalk”