The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

May 6, 2013 - 9:40 am

Organizing for Action sent out the following email today, to its list of supporters.

Friend –

The gun lobby is pretty happy with itself.

They succeeded in scaring members of Congress into voting against something that 90 percent of Americans — and 74 percent of NRA members — support.

They like it the way things are, where the most powerful interest groups in Washington get to override the voices of millions of Americans.

OFA will be the grassroots movement that counteracts that. We’re going to show members of Congress that, if you stand up to the special interests, the people in your districts will be right there to get your back.

Our petition to Congress is going to the printers at midnight tonight. It’d be a real shame if it didn’t have your name on it, wouldn’t it?

We’ll never be as deep-pocketed or as well-connected as the gun lobby.

What we have is better. It’s the voices of real Americans who are standing up and saying they’ve seen enough of gun violence tearing apart communities like Newtown and Tucson and Aurora and Chicago.

Together, we’re committing to keep fighting for this issue until something is done. We will be heard — and it’s time for our lawmakers in Washington to find their courage to stand up to a political bully.

Add your name to OFA’s petition to congressional leaders before midnight to demand that they take action to reduce gun violence:

Let’s go.

Jon

Jon Carson
Executive Director
Organizing for Action
@JonCarsonOFA

Notice this section:

We’ll never be as deep-pocketed or as well-connected as the gun lobby.

What we have is better. It’s the voices of real Americans… (italics added)

The juxtaposition pushes the “gun lobby,” which is composed of millions of Americans who give their money to groups like the NRA to defend their rights, outside the realm of “real Americans” who are pushing for more gun control.

Here are some things I have in common with every NRA member I personally know:

Both my parents were born in America. I was born in America. I was raised here to respect the values and ideals this nation was founded upon. I put myself in harm's way to protect this country. I support my community with my OWN time and money, not by using the state to take someone else's. And if one of my neighbors needs help in the middle of the night I'll be there with either a cell phone or a Glock, as appropriate.

I'll put my "real American" credentials up against Obama's or anyone's in his party any time and have no fear at all of coming up short.
"...gun violence tearing apart communities like Newtown and Tucson and Aurora and Chicago."

Three multi-casualty massacres by lone gunmen arguably off their meds and one entire city terrorized by criminals who couldn't give a flying flip through a rolling doughnut about gun laws.

Sing with me, boys and girls; "One of these things is not lke the others...".
I do not have a problem with this. Very often, we on the Right characterize the Statists as not being real Americans.

As for the lies, again, I do not care. I only hope they get more offensive. They are preaching to the choir, basically, and revealing themselves for what they are. It cannot endear them to anyone else.
OFA can only survive by encouraging divisions within the country. Its sole reason for being is to win elections. Not helping people, not improving our civic culture, not actually doing anything other than win elections.
Americans are expressing their opinion with their wallets: tens of millions of guns have been bought since Obama has been elected (70 millions, I believe a recent Fox report said). To be added to the guns that Americans possessed before.
These are the real Americans.
The tiny minority of subversive agitators is made of internationalist subversives who hate America.

Its the usual lies from OFA. Pretending that the NRA does not represent a large fraction of the American public is a rather hilarious pretense, since the Senate knows better.

But the claim that an organization that recently spent hundreds of millions of dollars in an election campaign is being "outspent" by the NRA - which spends a tiny fraction of that in lobbying - is just more of the usual gun control activists lies. And the reference to "gun lobby" is to continue the falsehood that they are "fighting" gun manufacturers when the reality is that they are fighting the "gun owner lobby".

3 Trackbacks to “Obama Email: NRA Doesn’t Represent ‘Real Americans’”