The PJ Tatler

Matt Vespa

March 15, 2013 - 12:31 pm

Mitt Romney addressed CPAC this afternoon, and I did support his candidacy.  After all, he was the only person in our miserable 2012 crop of candidates that had the best chance of winning.  However, his communications team was mostly on defense, his high-tech GOTV ORCA program crashed rendering 30,000 volunteers helpless on Election Day, and his candidacy prohibited conservatives from talking about health care.  As a result, he lost, and gave Obama a second term.

Romney began his speech with:

Of course, I left the race disappointed that we didn’t win. But I also left honored and humbled to have represented values we believe in and to speak for so many good and decent people. We’ve lost races before, and in the past, those setbacks prepared us for larger victories. It is up to us to make sure that we learn from my mistakes, and from our mistakes, so that we can win the victories those people and this nation depend upon.

It’s fashionable in some circles to be pessimistic about America, about conservative solutions, about the Republican Party. I utterly reject that pessimism. We may not have carried the day last November 7th, but we haven’t lost the country we love, and we haven’t lost our way. Our nation is still full of aspirations and hungry for new solutions. We’re a nation of invention and of reinventing. My optimism about America wasn’t diminished by my campaign; no, it grew—It grew as I came to know more of our fellow Americans.

Well, I agree with Romney that losses have prepared conservatives for larger victories.  The 1964 presidential election, where Sen. Barry Goldwater was destroyed by Lyndon Johnson, paved way for Ronald Reagan’s landslide win in 1980.  However, as he spoke, Romney said:

We need the ideas and leadership of each of these governors. We particularly need to hear from the Governors of the blue and purple states, like Bob McDonnell, Scott Walker, John Kasich, Susanna Martinez, Chris Christie, and Brian Sandoval because their states are among those we must win to take the Senate and the White House.

Save for Scott Walker, Govs. Susanna Martinez, Brian Sandoval, John Kasich, and Chris Christie are all expanding the most expensive provision in Obamacare.  Gov. Bob McDonnell is still on the fence, but his crime is much worse. He’s proposed $6.1 billion in tax increases to supplement infrastructure development.  Lastly, when Christie says he agrees with ultra-liberal Gov. Cuomo of New York on 98% of the issues.  With statements like that, you have to wonder about his commitment to the principles of limited government.

So, yes, Mitt Romney is right he he says, “it is up to us to make sure that we learn from my mistakes, and from our mistakes, so that we can win the victories those people and this nation depend upon.”  We shouldn’t make the mistake of nominating another Northeastern Republican to the national stage again. We should nominate politicians that adhere to the Madisonian vision of limited government, and won’t cave to big government liberal policies a la Chris Christie – or propose billions in tax increases.  It’s time for conservatives leave squishy Republicans behind. It’s time for them to tell moderates – in the words of Francis Underwood – that “well cleave you from the herd, and watch you die in the wilderness.”

Matt Vespa is a conservative blogger who contributes to CNS News, RedState, Noodle Pundit, and was formerly with Hot Air's GreenRoom.

Romney was almost my last choice but I held my nose and voted for him. After all when the other choice is Obama, the decision on who to cast my vote for was easy. However, I have never been a fan of the Bush family. Their strength has been that they can manage decline better than the Democrats. I will sit out an election if the choice is between Jeb Bush and the latest leftist socialist democrat. I am tired voting for the lesser of two evils. I want to vote for someone I believe in.
Mitt Romney addressed CPAC this afternoon, and I did support his candidacy.

I did not. I voted for him, for all the good it did, but that's a far cry from "supporting his candidacy." The other commenters before me have it right: The Beltway establishment cannot be trusted even to grasp the issues, let alone identify the most "electable" candidate.
Romney was solidly my 3rd choice.
I regret to admit I voted for him for precisely the reason his backers were sure he would win: he *wasn't* my *last* choice.

Never again.
The "Rove-ites" will ram Jeb Bush down our throats. Then they'll all scratch their heads wondering why he was rejected by the voters. All the current GOP big-wigs want is to maintain whatever share of the pie they can keep for themselves. The Republican Party in 2016, is like the Federalist Part of 1816. Stick a fork in them, they are done!
How do they not get that 80+% of the country would run screaming from another Bush? Jeb's candidacy would be like mana from heaven delivered by Santa Clause driving 8 tiny unicorns to the likes of John Stewart, Colbert, SNL, etc.
Hang together or hang separately.
The mistake was nominating Mittens to start with. The bigger problem is that we keep nominating loosers like Mittens, McIdiot, and Dole. Learn from his mistakes, the problem is Mittens was the mistake.
This.

At least the author admitted he supported Romney early (like most of the PJM contributors). He, of course, says it was because only Romney could win. This is bull. Only Romney could lose. (Well, and the other moderate, Huntsman). We Conservatives were screaming for Anybody But Romney. We Conservatives are the base. If we do not turn out to campaign for you and contribute money, you are going to lose.

Yet, you do everything possible to push us away. You never want our candidates. You break your promises to us. You push programs and legislation which we furiously oppose. You refuse to stand up firmly to Democrats. You give us vanilla moderate candidates, then wonder why you lose.

The problem is, we are incompatible. The Moderates are just like the Dems. They only fight over the spoils, but they both want to keep the looting going. Conservatives want the looting to stop, so we must be stopped.

We need our own Party, and it must be strong. Do not cling to the Republican Party, because the moderates will stab us in the back every time. It is not time to drive out the RINO's. It is time to leave them behind.