Ron Radosh

The Worst Tribute Articles to Pete Seeger

January 30th, 2014 - 12:59 pm

A few years ago, on these very pages, I wrote a column titled: “My Final Words on Pete Seeger.” Alas, it was not to be. My final words will actually appear tomorrow, in the pages of the Weekly Standard. And since I wrote the PJM column in 2009, I think I ended up writing at least three, perhaps more, pieces about Seeger. Each time he opened his mouth to endorse yet another horrendous political cause, such as the BDS movement, I found I could not keep silent.

And now, The New Republic’s Paul Berman has laid out a challenge I simply could not ignore. Let me simply give you his own words:

Did he ever fully come to grips with the grotesqueries of his Communist past? I look forward to reading my friend Ron Radosh, the ex-Communist, currently right-wing Republican, ex-banjo-player on this question — Radosh, with whom I agree 10 percent of the time, but who remained, I know, somehow in contact with Seeger, even into recent times. I expect Ron to denounce Pete. I am sorry to remind Pete’s fans that denunciations by Ron Radosh are Pete’s fate.

Sorry, Paul, I’m a conservative — but definitely not a “right-wing Republican,” whatever that pejorative is supposed to mean.

I cannot disappoint Paul Berman. But what more could I do, without repeating anything appearing in the Standard article? One thing occurred to me. Each day brings perhaps at least ten new articles about Pete Seeger, from publications throughout the world, from Israel to Australia to numerous European countries. Anyone doubting his influence and impact should try to compile them all. By now, they can easily make up a new book all by themselves. There are so many I could not even hope to give you the links.

So I have decided to address those that deal with Pete Seeger and communism, and the question of how much impact should one give to that issue in assessing whether or not he was a great artist and musician. Reading all the Seeger tributes, I thought I could come up with what are perhaps the two worst ones written in tribute to Pete Seeger.

The prize for the second-worst article goes to writer David A. Graham.

Graham tries to square the circle in The Atlantic: he acknowledges all the moral obtuseness of Seeger’s Stalinism, and writes that Seeger took “distressing and dangerous positions,” and had some “horrifying ideas.” But, says Graham, despite all this … Seeger meant well!

That’s it — his Stalinism can be excused, because he had good intentions. As Graham sees things: “In Seeger’s eyes, the ideas the Communist Party stood for were quintessentially American.” Because Seeger supposedly thought that a Stalinist state in America would be good, that makes it excusable?

He cites Earl Browder’s war years slogan “Communism is 20th Century Americanism,” without realizing that the slogan was quickly abandoned because Stalin ordered it withdrawn as soon as he heard it.

I somehow don’t remember Pete Seeger coming to the defense of Hollywood writer Albert Maltz in 1945, when the comrades took him to task for saying maybe the slogan “art is a weapon” was misguided. Maltz was pilloried by the comrades and forced to grovel and beg forgiveness for his apostasy. Of course Seeger wouldn’t come to his defense — he often said he believed that was the very mission of his own art.

Indeed, Graham believes that the American Reds imbued a “patriotic leftism.” This shows, of course, how little Graham knows about the history of the American Communist Party. Maybe I should gift him the collected works of Harvey Klehr and John Earl Haynes; he might learn something from them.

Graham also seems to know little about the Spanish Civil War, since he tells us Pete had “friends who died fighting with the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.” If Graham knew anything, he would first realize that it was a battalion, and not a brigade — a name purposefully inflated by the comrades to make them appear a bigger force than they actually were. Moreover, he does not realize that this Comintern army fought the battle not for liberty, but for Stalin’s foreign policy aims, as I once wrote about my own uncle who died in that battalion. The article, which appeared in the Washington Post, was called “My Uncle Died in Vain Fighting ‘the good fight.’” I suggest Graham look it up in LexisNexis, or get hold of the book I co-authored, Spain Betrayed: The Soviet Union in the Spanish Civil War.

Graham even attributes to Seeger the authorship of “We Shall Overcome,” which any folklorist knows was an old gospel hymn transformed into a labor organizing song that Seeger later learned at the leftist Highlander Folk School. He and Guy Carawan wrote some new words, and yes, made it familiar, and transformed it into the civil rights anthem it became. But that phrase is something that Seeger can take no credit whatsoever for writing.

Graham’s article, however, is nothing compared to the single worst article about Seeger. That prize goes to … Bhaskar Sunkara, founding editor of Jacobin and senior editor of socialist weekly In These Times. Sunkara’s column appears, perhaps appropriately, in the pages of Aljazeera America, a source I know everyone regularly reads. The title is — ready for this? — “In Defense of Pete Seeger: American Communist.

"...he did a lot of good because he was a Communist."

Spoken like a true useful idiot. Fellow traveller. Tool.

What good Seeger did (and he did do some) he did because he was a good man at heart, not because he was a Communist. I think he loved people, loved children, loved the environment. He loved music. I don't think he loved America per se, but he loved certain Americans - the "folk," the "workers," the "people," - in the naive, idealistic, patronizing way that leftists tend to love anything.

And I think that he believed - God only knows why - that Communism was based on love. "Love between my brothers and my sisters, all over this land." When Christians think of Love, they think of Jesus. When Seeger thought of Love, he evidently thought of Marx and Lenin - and even, possibly, Stalin. If he thought of Jesus at all, he probably though the Lord and Lenin were sympatico. Jesus was a Communist, he just didn't know it. (Progressives are really good at co-opting everything good that ever happened in history, convincing themselves that all the time it was all leading up to...themselves.)

No, I don't understand it either.

Today, some angry young men convert to Islam, sometimes the most primitive, militant forms of Islam, because it seems to offer them something. Not sure what, but there they are. Maybe it was the same with Seeger and Communism.

It's about psychology - or the mysteries of the human heart, if you want to think of it that way. It's hard to tell why people make certain connections in their minds. I guess it's idealism in its purest form. Believing in the propaganda and the promises rather than the actual thing. The principles are good and true, even if the implementation is imperfect. We just have to keep marching forward. We'll get it right someday.

Interesting that Pete and his fellow Communists saw America's warts very clearly, but saw none of the Soviet Union's.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the man's mind worked. He was like a religious believer. Even if the human side of Communism was flawed, I think he believed that if he clung to the "spiritual" side he could achieve salvation. Something like that, anyway.

I don't understand. I don't have a heart full of love and a naive, simplistic view of right and wrong. Things are complicated, and I'm a cynic, not an idealist.
my co-worker's step-mother makes $77 /hr on the computer . She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her pay check was $15549 just working on the computer for a few hours. website link ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, https://www.jobsaa.com
til I saw the receipt which was of $8209, I didnt believe ...that...my cousin was like actualy erning money in there spare time at their laptop.. there aunt has done this less than a year and a short time ago repaid the morgage on there home and bourt a top of the range Ford Focus. Learn More >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://tinyurl.com/mvtqgd3
until I saw the draft that said $6991, I be certain that...my... brother could actualey erning money parttime from there labtop.. there uncle had bean doing this 4 less than fifteen months and at present took care of the debts on their condo and bourt themselves a Maserati. you can try this out >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://is.gd/qq2Gsg
Communists have never owned up to the horrors of their own beliefs. The only honest Communists were they, such as Radosh and Horowitz, who DID own up to those horrors and promptly acted on what they had learned.

Lifelong Communists are born defective. They get stuck on some notion and just refuse to give it up. Facts and reality mean nothing to them. They lie, cheat, steal and murder and/or condone lying, cheating, theft and murder. Because of this, there is no such thing as an honest lifelong Communist.

The current administration is chuckful of this kind of person, Alger Hisses all, from top to bottom. Sad, infuriating and sick. Not to mention dangerous.
Well the communists weren't all bad, they built a great wall in Berlin, had some marvelous purges in the Soviet Union and China, tens of millions killed, can't beat that, destroyed their economies and fostered mass hardship for decades. and had one helluva Gulag system. Why who wouldn't like that, the hope, the promise, the new dawn, the psychiatric hospitals, the murders and torture, hell, if that ain't progress what is?
No wonder the dream lives on today, hope endures. Of course there had to be a name change, what else but Progressivism?
my friend's step-mother makes $63 every hour on the internet . She has been out of a job for ten months but last month her paycheck was $20988 just working on the internet for a few hours. go......
W­W­W.T­E­C­3­0.C­O­M
Even in the day, like Mr. Radosh, I may not have been too offended by his politics, in the long run, it's his "music" I can't and could never stand. All of that faux folk stuff was nauseating. Thank God for Bob Dylan "going electric".
I put that entire oevre in the category Martin Mull called "The Great Folk Music Scare -- that [crap] almost caught on!"
"...he did a lot of good because he was a Communist."

Spoken like a true useful idiot. Fellow traveller. Tool.

No, I don't understand it either.

"...It's hard to tell why people make certain connections in their minds."

I'm convinced that for many on the Left, the reason they cling to certain ideas is that those ideas provide them with hopes and consolations, in ways that correspond to what religion provides for many of the rest of us. If you give up regular religion, I think you will still seek after something which you will use to try to fill religion's role to an extent. On a more mundane level, we now see "unchurched" people who seem to approach movies and popular music in an almost worship-service sort of way.

And Leftism offers a certain feeling of moral superiority to its adherents, many of whom lead deeply disordered and otherwise flawed lives. Also, I can't psychoanalyze Seeger, but I know that he grew up in an atmosphere filled with far-left teachings.

I've known some Marxists for a few decades now who are intelligent people. In the face of massive evidence against Marxism, though, they still cling to their old certainties. I think that in their case they feel deep down, and maybe not quite consciously, that if they finally give up those old certainties it will destroy them. They almost seem like people who have been involved in a cult for several years, and while they now have the opportunity to leave the cult, they still run back to The Master's teachings.
There is an allure to the "spirit" of socialism, especially for the young. Lord knows, it attracted me in my youth. How anyone could remain in the fold, however, especially with what we know about the excesses of Stalin et al, is beyond me. Again, especially since the term "useful idiots" was coined to describe exactly what and who Seeger and fellow travelers in the west were being. There are none so blind ...
This is an excellent and well said comment. You nail it! Ron
Thanks. You knew the guy, so that means a lot.
The tunes are okay, but the lyrics need work. Let's see, maybe I can help out...

"If I had a hammer and sickle..."
1 2 Next View All