Ron Radosh

The jury in the trial of George Zimmerman has spoken. Evidently, their verdict is not satisfactory to the racial hucksters and demagogues. Leading the pack, as usual, is Reverend Al Sharpton, whose own role in the Tawana Brawley debacle has not worked to discredit anything he says for the media.

“An atrocity,” Sharpton called it, “one of the worst situations that I’ve seen. … We had to march to even get a trial, and then at trial when he’s exposed over and over again as a liar, he is acquitted. This is a sad day in the country. A slap in the face to those that believe in justice in this country.” Later, he added: “We intend to ask the Department of Justice to move forward as they did in the Rodney King case and we will closely monitor the civil case against Mr. Zimmerman. I will convene an emergency call with preachers tonight to discuss next steps and I intend to head to Florida in the next few days.”

The Reverend Al, as he is called by his supporters, was joined in a call for a Department of Justice indictment of George Zimmerman for violating Trayvon Martin’s civil rights by Ben Jealous, head of the NAACP. “We are outraged and heartbroken over today’s verdict,” Jealous said in a statement. “We will pursue civil rights charges with the Department of Justice, we will continue to fight for the removal of Stand Your Ground laws in every state and we will not rest until racial profiling in all its forms is outlawed. … The most fundamental of civil rights — the right to life — was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin.”

The problem that Sharpton and Jealous have is that the FBI already had investigated the case, and could not come up with any proof that racial hatred was what motivated Zimmerman to follow Martin. Indeed, George Zimmerman was shown to have mentored black children, and to have publicly complained about police actions that he thought were unfair to the African-American community. His best friend is a black man. The tragedy that developed was hardly the same as when white cops were found to have beaten Rodney King and used unnecessary and brutal force out of racial animus.

Joining the attempt to fan the flames of discontent among the African-American community were a slew of liberal writers, led by Michael Tomasky at The Daily Beast. Like many others of his ilk, Tomasky seems to think America is back in the early ’60s, when racial segregation existed and the Southern states were in command of a racist Democratic Party whose leaders sought to preserve the system of segregation at all costs. Indeed, he argues that under President Obama, America’s racial divide has gotten worse.

Zimmerman, Tomasky writes, would have thought twice about shooting a white kid, evidently even if he feared for his life and the white kid was on top of him pummeling his head into the cement. “He’d know in his bones,” he writes, “that white lives are accorded more value in this society than black ones, and you don’t go around shooting white people and expect not to pay a price.”

Zimmerman, of course, did not say anything about race when he was speaking to the 911 dispatcher until he was asked about it –he thought Martin might be black, but was not sure. After all, it’s not so easy to identify the race of a person wearing a hoodie at night viewed from a car. Does Tomasky think that at the moment when the weaker Zimmerman feared for his life, even if he knew at that point that the boy on top of him was white, he would not have reached for his gun if he thought his life was in danger?

As for the Stand Your Ground laws, The New York Times editorial board wrote: “The jury reached its verdict after having been asked to consider Mr. Zimmerman’s actions in light of the now-notorious Stand Your Ground provision in Florida’s self-defense law.” As most followers of the case know, except for the supposedly learned editors of the paper, the defense did not once invoke that law in waging their defense of George Zimmerman.

Instead, they argued that Zimmerman reached for his gun when he was pinned down and his head was being slammed into the ground, fearful as he was for his life. That is a standard that would have applied to all the states of the union.

Nevertheless, the Martin family counsel, Ben Crump, stated that Trayvon Martin would go down “in the annals of history next to Medgar Evers and Emmett Till as symbols of the fight for equal justice for all.” Evers was a brave fighter against segregation in an era in which the KKK and White Citizens’ Councils were active in segregated Southern states and most often were protected by the law, if indeed the lawmakers and police themselves were not members of either organization. Till was a young black boy killed by racists for the offense of supposedly whistling at a white woman.

If you want to read first-rate commentary taking up the arguments of the racial demagogues, read Abigail Thernstrom’s fine piece that appears on CNN’s website. While the station was most notoriously stacking the decks in favor of those who argued racial injustice was committed by the jury in finding Zimmerman innocent, perhaps their website editor decided it was time for some of its viewership to at least have the option to read a different perspective. “People such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson,” she writes,  “see white racism as endemic and elevate what’s wrong with America over all that is remarkably right.” She continues to argue that if President Obama’s Justice Department “brings civil rights charges against Zimmerman, as the NAACP has urged and which it is reportedly still considering, the ugly racial politics of this prosecution will be undeniable.”

How disappointing.

"He should have listened to the advice of the dispatcher, gone back to his car, and not followed Martin as he was walking back home."

Ron, why did you throw in that piece of non-factual nonsense? It absolutely destroys the value of the balance of your commentary. It seems that some of us can simply not resist the pressure to seem "fair" by casting doubt on a good and honest citizen who acted appropriately to save his life from the actions of a pathetic young thug.
I'd have more sympathy for the Martin family if they'd come to grips with the fact the didn't raise their kid properly and accept some of the blame for his value system, rather than doing the usual and foisting the whole thing onto the entirety of white America through a racial Hispanic proxy. That tells me they don't themselves even know the difference between right and wrong, just us and them, identity, not principle.

Why were they not monitoring his Facebook, Tweets and cell phone? Were they aware he was an amateur burglar, fence, weapons traders, drug dealer and user and street fighter? What chance does any kid have for a good life who's doing that stuff? Did they never teach him not to use the word "nigga" or "cracka" to describe human beings? It wasn't fate or chance or Zimmerman that put that kid in harm's way but Martin himself and his parents, all three of whom had the ability to make free choices for their path in life and determined what it is they value. Martin valued crap and crap is what he ended up with.

Sharpton and his bunch are in complete denial about the nature of black youth culture and also to the extent their own hate speech only makes it worse. In the end, it's black folks who'll take the lion's share of punishment for their values, not me, just as I am responsible for the stupid decisions I make in my own life, not untold millions in other cities and states.
do think you err in this: "Let me end by saying that because George Zimmerman was found not guilty, and that the Jury believed the prosecution had not proved the charge of second degree murder beyond reasonable doubt, does not mean that Zimmerman is a hero or a role model. He should have listened to the advice of the dispatcher, gone back to his car, and not followed Martin as he was walking back home. He acted precipitously and foolishly, and the entire tragic episode could have been avoided....."

I believe the record is clear that GZ was heading back to his truck when he was attacked by Trayvon. There are ample maps of the incident which establish this.
Well, it's pretty obvious to me that there was indeed a racial profiling in this case and an assault based on race. The witness testimony and forensics support that fact.

I'm talking about Martin attacking Zimmerman, of course. Martin used racial epithats before the attack and clearly believed that Zimmerman was white. No such evidence like that exists relative to Zimmerman but Martin is clearly guilty. Further investigation would no doubt uncover other similar instances on the part of Martin.

So do your job, DOJ. Go get the racist little bugger.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
-- John Steinbeck

I have a simple rule: assault me and I'll kill you.

As an older guy who makes a practice of never going anywhere unarmed, I can make that rule stick. It's based upon a simple calculus, you see: my life > the life of a thug.
Dear Mr. Radosh, Zimmerman acted in an appropriate manner when he was told "We don't need you to follow him" which was followed by two instances of the dispatcher asking what Martin was doing. Did this imply to Zimmerman that it was his choice? But, let's be clear. He was never told to NOT follow him.

You state Zimmerman acted precipitously and foolishly and it was preventable. Out of respect for the the young man who died and his family, few have questioned the actions of Martin that directly led to his death. Martin attacked Zimmerman when he had ample opportunity to simply go home over the 4 minutes it took while he ran. Martin decided to return and confront the "Creepy-ass Cracka" Zimmerman with an ambush. The person who wanted a confrontation was Martin, he started one, and is now dead as a esult.

Those who wanted Zimmerman's charges reinstated and a trial to seek justice got it. The justice that Trayvon's supporters wanted, was not the emotional satisfaction they thought the jury would provide. So now they act out.

It is sad that a 17 year old is dead, but Martin's actions and poor decisions that night created a situation that could have ended differently. He apparently wanted a fight, and that led to his own demise.
A slap in the face to those that believe in mob rule by black agitators in this country.
Trayvon Martin was a thug, nothing more, nothing less. The parents of young black males need to pull their heads from the smelly place, put Jesse Jackson and Crown Heights Sharpton in a deep, deep hole and cover it up, then raise their kids in a real home with mother and father married.

Not every kid would turn out perfect if they took my advice. But a ton of them would turn out a hell of a lot better than what the ghetto culture is producing now.
See? All of this confuses me so much. I was told always to walk assertively and with purpose to avoid being attacked. But now, this incident has brought out a whole new set of lessons. Now I am being told that I must walk meekly and never, ever follow a young, African-American male lest he think I am trying to attack him. If I do anything else, I invite attack.

So, I guess I might as well convert to Islam, don the full burka and never leave my house again seeing as how I can't walk assertively without inviting assault and I can't walk meekly without inviting assault.

This is all completely ridiculous, and it's time we stood up to the race baiters and the African-American community and tell them frankly that the problems of their young men are not of our making.
There are large swaths of black people who more obsessed with hating white people than creating a better future for their children. Blacks have allowed themselves to be manipulated for decades - at their own expense! And the Civil Rights leaders and the bourgeois marxists (media, academia, etc.) have been laughing all the way to the bank. This continues because most white people have white guilt and thus allow themselves to be shaken down - at their own expense! All this despite American blacks being the freest, wealthiest, most prosperous black on the planet and in the history of the world.

If I were Zimmerman and anyone who is injured by the racial hatred unleashed, I would sue for hundreds of millions of $: Eric Holder, Obama, Clinton, all the major news (print and tv) outlets, the NAACP, the CBC, Sharpton, Jackson, entertainers, and anybody else who are stoking the flames of hatred. For once I'd like to seem the socialist and racist be, for one, held accountable for their actions. Libertarians and conservatives are too damned nice and soft. That's why they have been losing for decades. The best defense is a good offense. Take the battle to the enemy and own them. Don't let these people keep getting away with it.
Ron:

Memes run deep.

George Zimmerman was already out of his car when he made the call to the non emergency police dispatcher, not 911. When the dispatcher told him "you don't need to do that" he reversed course and began to return to his car. The dispatcher was not a police officer and could not order Zimmerman to do anything. It's in her testimony. It was then that Martin intercepted him and the altercation occurred. It's hard enough dealing with this false narrative when it comes from the race baiters so lets not give it credibility by repeating it.

Now thanks to Piers Morgan, Rachel Jeantel has revealed the reason why Martin returned to attack Zimmerman. He believed he being followed by a gay man. Martin's attack was an anti-gay hate crime.
REVENGE is the only emotion Holder, Obama, Jackson, Sharpton, and the media are after.
The people that get suckered into this are seriously pathetic.
They are all being used for the benefit of these political agitators, and used as a distraction from the more important issues disabling this country and it's people.

When are these people going to wake up to the fact that these race agitators are appealing to their "gang mentality"?
To all my critics, please read the following important article by Slate's William Saletan. He argues that Trayvon Martin was profiling and misreading Zimmerman; but that Zimmerman too made major steps that could have avoided the conflict. On the main point, he agrees, writing the following:
"In court, evidence and scrutiny have exposed these difficult, complicated truths. But outside the court, ideologues are ignoring them. They’re oversimplifying a tragedy that was caused by oversimplification. Martin has become Emmett Till. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is using the verdict to attack Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, which wasn’t invoked in this case. The grievance industrial complex is pushing the Department of Justice to prosecute Zimmerman for bias-motivated killing, based on evidence that didn’t even support a conviction for unpremeditated killing. Zimmerman’s lawyers have teamed up with members of the Congressional Black Caucus, inadvertently, to promote the false message that Zimmerman’s acquittal means our society thinks everything he did was OK.:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2013/07/trayvon_martin_verdict_racism_hate_crimes_prosecution_and_other_overreactions.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=sm&utm_campaign=button_toolbarHere's the link to his article:
Ron, I did read it yesterday and I was pleased to see that Saletan took an entire day, maybe more, to review the trial before just dropping propaganda bombs like so many others. However, even at that Saletan seems to have gotten a few things wrong.
What I don't like is the tendency to want to assign more culpability to Zimmerman than the facts would support. I would contend that hindsight is 20:20 and Zimmerman's decisions were entirely reasonable at the time he made them, Did he have other options? Maybe. Did those options appear to be the best at the time he made them? Did those options even occur to him at the moment? Who knows? It's very probable he would not agree even to this day. There is nothing like being there.
Further, in you post, intended or not, is an implicit surrender to the circumstance Zimmerman found himself in. I know I, having seen someone in my neighborhood looking suspicious, would not have done anything Zimmerman did. I would not have gotten out of the truck, I would not have followed the person and I would not have called 911.
I am glad there are the George Zimmerman's that will! Because I don't have the ability.
Several years ago I lived in a nice neighborhood, nothing special, just pleasant. My wife an I spotted gang activity and sign a couple blocks away while walking. I did a little research on the sign and realized it was maybe more than the punks in High School living out a little teenage driven fantasy. I wrote my city councilman and the Chief of Police about my concerns and asked that they investigate. They did, and wrote back thanking me for the report and taking the time to write. My councilman, the person representing me in the city, and making decisions as to how my tax money was spent locally, let me know that as far as he was concerned a little gang-banger activity is to be expected. It happens, was his attitude.
I wrote back and explained that I didn't agree and that if what I saw occurring in my lower middle class neighborhood were to happen in his upper middle class neighborhood there would probably be for more concern on his part. He wrote back and came just short of calling me racist.
I no longer live there.
I will not tolerate an attitude of surrender to the thugs, whether they be involved in crime or involved in government.
I will repeat two posts I made at the firearms blog "The Truth About Guns" yesterday and today.

First post simply references a Matt Lewis article:

Matt Lewis has a thoughtful piece of the effect of the Zimmerman case on community cohesion. I recommend reading it without further comment.

After digesting Lewis's piece I penned the following.

Having slept on this question overnight I have come realize that it is the wrong question. The real question is who owns the streets? Everyman or the punks? The “Justice for Trayvon” crowd does everything it can to avoid facing who Trayvon Martin was. We know he was a punk because he left a record of it. On the night of his death Martin may not have been a threat to anyone. He just went out to get the ingredients for a concoction to get high. On another night he may have gone out to cause mayhem. The facts in evidence show us that he could have gotten home before Zimmerman got to him. He could have explained himself if Zimmerman asked him who he was. Instead he chose to be a punk and attack the “cracka” because he felt disrespected.

George Zimmerman is Everyman. He goes about his day to day business, cares about other people and his community. His life demonstrates that he was a good citizen.

I hear a lot talk from the small government folks about how the police are too many and too militarized. Well if you want a smaller, less militarized force than citizens have to step up to give a street presence that keeps crime in check. That is what neighborhood watches are all about. If you are out on the streets then you always face the possibility that bad guy you spot won’t run away but will come after you. Zimmerman did not get out of his truck thinking that “I am going to get into fight for my life” but it turned into that. Liberty is not about getting high if you want to, have sex when you want or “getting the government out of marriage. It is about taking responsibility for you community so the government doesn’t have to. Taking that responsibility involves risk. Frankly, I would much prefer George Zimmerman for a neighbor than many of the self-proclaimed Libertarians who post here. George Zimmerman may have voted Democratic but he embodies more of the Libertarian spirit than many who call themselves by that name.

Remember, “You sleep peacefully in your beds at night because of the rough men who guard the City’s gates.” You want fewer rough men then be prepared to take their place at the gate. That is a risky proposition and that is why there are more people who talk the talk than walk the walk.

I like Saletan's article but he is arguing from false premises.
By all means we should avoid conflict with thugs. Its a strategy that works over time and gives moral superiority to those who adopt it. Tell that to the six million Jews that were exterminated by the Nazi regime. You, the dead, are morally superior to the ones who killed you. I'm sure that gives them great consolation.

And no mention ever seems to be given to the toll thug's work burns into the souls of their victims. And it spreads. My father fought in WWII. His unit liberated one of the Nazi death camps. He wouldn't talk about it. But one thing I do remember is that apparently after that he never could stand the smell of ashes from a BBQ pit. It would make him throw up.

Little Trayvon was a thug. Society is much better off since he has been drop-kicked out of it. Pretending otherwise is nothing more than to buy into an ugly and poisonous narrative. And if one is afraid to speak the truth because the magic curse of "racist" might be thrown upon you, then you richly deserve whatever consequences might flow from your "moral superiority."
Let me remind you, that the right to self defense was chipped away by well meaning folks in the UK, along with far Left Marxists. It hasnt improved the safety and well being of anybody by violent gang members and hardened criminals.
anybody but
I have no problem with anything that Zimmerman did (to the best of my knowledge). His actions were OK.

As were this fellows...

Jury Finds Roderick Scott Not Guilty

Please, Mr. Radosh;
Zimmerman was authorized by his homeowners association to perform the duties he was involved in.
Zimmerman could have approached Martin to verify his reason for being there at that time, but WAS complying with the dispatchers advice, even though he was not required to do so.
Zimmerman failed to inform the 911 dispatcher he was a member of the neighborhood crime watch.
If it weren't for a side arm that Zimmerman LEGALLY had, Martin would have been the criminal for assault and battery, at least, and probably murder.

Don't let yourself become a victim to the race agitators and media agitators. They both have an economic and commercial interest to keep these flames burning.
1 2 3 Next View All