Roger L. Simon

The second annual Walter Duranty Prize for mendacious journalism will be awarded May 5 and,  just in time for this year’s prizes, an email alert from the estimable CAMERA (Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting) validates how the Duranty committee’s first runner up for last year was indeed well chosen.

That runner up was Bob Simon for his 2012 report on 60 Minutes — “Christians of the Holy Land” — that blamed Israel for the plight of the dwindling Palestinian Christian community in Bethlehem.

Now one of those Palestinian Christians whose family actually appeared in the 60 Minutes segment — a young woman named Christy Anastas currently living in the UK where she was granted political asylum in only three days — has made a video of her own that contradicts virtually everything Simon said. Christy — who has received death threats from her own family members if she continued to defend Israel (they were that afraid) — tells her story in a compelling speech she gave at Upsala University.

She describes how one uncle was blinded by a gunshot to the head for refusing to pay jizya (the tax demanded of non-Muslims by their Muslim rulers).  This man’s life was saved by treatment in an Israeli hospital.  Anastas also recounts how Palestinian judges from Hebron colluded in the theft of land from Palestinian Christians.  It goes on, of course. The longer you listen, the more blaming Israel for the flight of Palestinian Christians becomes not only absurd, but a disgusting smear with violent implications.

Christy’s talk was so incendiary — the threats to her so severe — that the video was pulled down from YouTube.   It is now up again thanks to Jerusalem Institute for Justice with some additional material regarding the prevarications of Saeb Erakat.   See it while you can. But most of all Bob Simon and 60 Minutes executive producer Jeff Fager should see it, especially now with the true colors of the Palestinian Authority have been revealed (to those who did not allow themselves to see) by its recent alliance with Hamas.

It’s hard to say if we should hold Simon and Fager accountable if something bad happens to Ms. Anasatas, but I know they won’t be far from my mind.  It will be interesting to see if they issue an apology.  PJ Media has contacted Mr. Fager’s office.

Here’s the video:

YouTube Preview Image

More of the Inverted Narrative.

Judeo-Christians are under attack and the Communo-jihadist alliance and their propagandist lapdogs invert the narrative every time.

I don't watch 60 Minarets for that very reason.
This video breaks my heart is so many ways. First as an Israeli, to hear how the innocent suffer from the actions that we Israelis sometimes have to undertake, oh I hate it so much. We will continue to act as we must in order to survive, but how I wish people like Christy Anastas and her family didn't have to be the ones who pay.
She is amazingly brave! God protect her.
She is amazingly well spoken.

Jizya, protection money. Muslim "freedom fighters" are, in fact, a Mafia.

"What a jungle"

"After learning the amount of money we've been given, I should be rich, each Palestinian should be rich"

Except Arafat & successors haven't exactly used that money, at one point $10 million/month from the EU, as intended.

"300% increase in so called 'honor killings' in 2013"

"Israel doesn't threaten us for sharing our own views. Palestinians do."
Forget it, Mr. Simon. They won't apologize or even admit error, because it's the narrative, not the truth, that is important to them.
CBS is no different from the liberal Jewish line on all things Jewish, especially Israel. I now expect the British and Israeli Left (including social democrats!) to fight with Arabs in any future showdown. See http://clarespark.com/2014/04/28/holocaust-remembrance-day-2014-the-tablet-evasion/. If this seems far-fetched read Ari Shavit's My Promised Land, a book much lauded by the NYT and Reform Jews.
Haven't watched the Communist Broadcast Company programs for years. Moonves and his cohort are a bunch of JINOs. An appropriate term would be Kappos.
In case the video is taken down from YouTube again here is a mirror link on a different video hosting site Vidd.Me

John Kerry-Heinz ketchup is now vying for the Duranty Award. He made vile and viscious nonsensical statement that Israel would become an apartheid state if it doesn't make peace with the people who want to destroy them. He and his master screwed up royally and now they blame Israel for not wanting to roll over and die? We have a statement about certain people like that: Y'mach shmo v'zichro.
She is amazingly brave! God protect her.
Roger, are you familiar with the blog "The DiploMad 2.0"? He links to PJMedia, and if not, you and the readers here would learn much, I believe, from his foreign policy experience. He is a former senior-level diplomat who retired in disgust at the current "misadministration" as he calls it. His experience is from the highest levels of the State Dept. On the face of his blog he has a quote, "In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man - Support Israel, Defeat Jihad."

I haven't watched the video in this article, because in the part of the 3rd world where I presently serve we don't quite have the bandwidth to see it in less than 20 minutes, but I can still understand her sentiments. I serve on a civilizational fault line, as Huntington put it, and know directly of what she speaks.

If only she could have that segment on "60 Minutes" instead of Bob Simon.
She is the only Christian Palestinian I have seen with the guts to tell the truth. Christians are being slaughtered in Syria.
Bless her heart and soul.

I'm not a good-enough Christain to pray for others, but if I were, Christy and her folks would be at the top of my list.
The MSM will studiously ignore this - life will go on much as it has since the institution of the Israeli State. The elites will nod knowingly about this Ms. Anasatas if the subject is even broached - such a naive girl they'll say. Biting the hand that feeds her they'll say. Bad things happen to liars and she'll get hers they'll say. No amount of logic & persuasion can penetrate the thick skull of the elites - if it doesn't fit the narrative it is dutifully ignored - brushed off - an inconvenient truth - a gadfly.

And life goes on - except for those living and toughing it out in the Middle East where life can have an unexpected end.

And the elites nod knowingly -

There's something wrong with those elites. I just can't put my finger on it.

1 2 Next View All