Roger L. Simon

Gay Marriage Supporter Abhors Mozilla’s Decision to Fire Eich

April 3rd, 2014 - 8:12 pm

firefox_monitor_trashed_4-3-14-1

As one who has been a longtime supporter of gay marriage and remain one, allow me to say that I am appalled by Mozilla’s decision to fire (or “force to resign”) its newly installed CEO (and inventor of Java Script) Brendan Eich because Eich gave $1000 a few years back for Proposition 8, the California ballot initiative to ban same-sex marriage.

Although not held by me, Eich evidently has beliefs shared by literally billions of people of faith throughout the world.  Those  demanding his head like junior Robespierres should be ashamed of themselves.  Not only are they violating the spirit of the Bill of Rights and freedom of religion, they dishonor their own cause and embarrass themselves no end.  They move things backwards when the think they are moving things forwards.

All the blablabla in the world from the crew at Mozilla cannot cover this up.  Ditto the gang at the OKCupid dating site that initiated the witch hunt.  Whatever their intentions, they have become “thought police.” They are unable to contain, as the shrinks say, the deeply held religious beliefs of others, let alone respect them in any way, even when, as is clearly the case with Eich, he is able to respect theirs in his daily work quite well.

This is no more than political correctness gone berserk. It is totalitarianism flying under the banner of marriage equality.  How reactionary, how fascistic, and, yes, how darkly comic is that.

And to give you an idea how dangerous this is, for those who don’t already know, the names of those who donated to Proposition 8 were leaked by the IRS in 2012 to the same-sex marriage supporting Human Rights Campaign who then posted those returns, for a time, on their website. Human rights, but apparently not for Brendan Eich.

The weird part of all this is that gay marriage is virtually a fait accompli in our culture.  Leading politicians in both parties either back it or say that it should be decided by the states.  But the Robespierres go on.

(Artwork based on a modified Shutterstock.com image.)

Roger I mean no disrespect. However it's clear to me that you and other have been hoodwinked.
"Those demanding his head like junior Robespierres should be ashamed of themselves."
They are not ashamed. They are giddy and dancing in their Victory.
"This is no more than political correctness gone berserk. It is totalitarianism flying under the banner of marriage equality."
It never was and never has been about marriage equality.
This is a movement to gain Special Rights, not Equal Rights. Isn't that clear now? This group of Thugs wants to use the pet peeve of the day to gain POWER over YOU.
This is about Retribution. It will continue. You cannot side with these thugs no matter what their "cause" might be.
Live and learn. Be more skeptical. Ask questions. Examine the leaders and the motives.
This is the New Democracy in which mobs will gain power and rule over others.

The Gaystappo is nothing but a group of jackboot thugs who want not just acceptance, but a warm embrace.
As a mainstream gay man, I like civil unions for the legal issues, but do not believe in changing definitions of terms such as marriage to match my life. These militant gays do not seem like they will ever be satisfied. They already altered the meaning of the word "gay" and now they want to do away with "homosexual".
Next thing you know "drag queen" will be deemed offensive.
"This is no more than political correctness gone berserk"

It is virtually impossible for political correctness, gay or otherwise, not to go 'berserk'. It does not grow to a moderate level and then stop. Left alive, it will feed on the human mind until there is nothing left.
Gay Marriage is NOT a "fait accompli". Legally perhaps, but the backlash will actually make it less acceptable now that militancy is behind it. In our own communities, it will be less accepted by the majority of people, and gay couples will not be welcome where they once were. And, there is not a damn thing they can do about it. I once openly supported Gay causes, I now avoid them at every chance.
Soooo tired of radical gheys, feminists, people of color, 99%ers, etc. Just shut up and go to work. Life is too easy for individuals in these groups. They are not busy raising the next generation, just complaining that their lot in life isn't grander. I can envision the country acting like that viral video of the overweight boy being picked on by the little bully. He had taken enough and picked the antagonist up and slammed him to the ground, breaking a leg in the process. Watch out you piss-ants out there, the nice, polite big kid might get fed up and slap you back to yesterday. Just saying.....
“Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”

― Eric Hoffer, The Temper of Our Time

This one skipped the business step.
The leftists are figuring out they've been duped. It's very late in the game it seems. Makes me wonder if we even have until Christmas 'til the great purge begins. Starting to think Ukraine was the fuse being lit for the final communist push.
Roger, had a poll been conducted of "ethnic or aryan" Germans in 1934 as to whether they would starve, hang, shoot or mutilate German Jewish neighbors or colleagues, what do you think the answer would have been? Choruses of "Not I!, Never"?

But when a tiny fascist party got its hands on the levers of German power, the herd instinct took over, didn't it? Self-preservation nullified prior attitudes of acceptance.

I am afraid that the herd instinct is what all of us have to fear. The Eich incident now hangs over every American who is too young to retire. How can I avoid being "eiched"? Will my career by endangered for outre views? This is what we all have to fear. Fascism shuts people down. Period.

Who will self-censor next? Answer: everyone who needs a paycheck. Look to how Germans knuckled under to fascism. We will too. The formerly "tolerant" are in ascendace and they have revenge in mind.
My apologies to Americans of German ancestry. I mean no disrespect. I am German ancestry too. The example of 1930s Germany is just one that Americans with low historical knowledge can relate to.

My ancestors left because of religious intolerance. They were Roman Catholic in a country that became 90% Protestant after the Reformation. Even clustered together in regional provinces like Baden (my grandfather) and Alsace(my grandmother), life was difficult.

Intolerance is the leftover of tribalism. Experts say tribalism has DNA extending back to the first human communities. If this is true, if we are hard wired to use primitive tactics like demonization and more, we'd better have a moral code which persuaded us to self-regulate.

This "eich" thing is very tribal; the language I have read on some other websites is full of vileness.
Although I've read reports from the IRS scandal that someone or some people within the IRS illegally leaked donor information about NOM, I think it was a California law that requires public availability of donor information for donors who contribute $100 or more to a CA ballot initiative. To be sure, we're still waiting on the felony indictments, prosecutions, and convictions for those who leaked the NOM donor information, but I think that's separate from this witch hunt.
The latest tactic by homosexuals, is to declare the debate about marriage over. It's not over!
I am friends with a number of Transwomen, they are genuine and usually very solid persons that would make great employees. They generally want private lives and normal relationships.

Coming from this side, I feel it is a huge mistake to change Marriage from what it is in religions. At the same time, there should be a major push for civil unions, but it takes changing tons of laws. By changing Marriage, I think we are set up for trench warfare for a hundred years. We are approaching 50 years from the race riots of the 60's, yet the heavy handed ways still leave most of us bitter and the problem not solved.

I think Mozilla has alienated a whole host of their customers, probably will not recover.
I'm pretty sure most states offer civil unions. If I'm wrong I'm willing to be corrected.
I agree with Roger. Orwellian redefinition of words by government fiat is a good thing. We need more of it. Fight on Roger!
I am a native Californian (really, not fake). We accepted homosexuals. We took care of them when they got sick. This is not okay. We just want to retain our sacrament of marriage. Homosexuals need to leave us alone. We cared for them, feed them and house them when they have no one. Let us honor our traditions of Catholic marriage.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All